Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night time eating!!! Help!!! page

Barnyard is offline Senior Member

Night time eating!!! Help!!!

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so this is something I really struggle with. I am currently single, and living alone, by choice, and sitting around later at night afte the day is done, watching TV or reading or surfing MDA......all I wanna do is EAT! I have gotten better since I went mostly primal, and my food choices are better quality, but still struggle with it.....and sometimes it's ice cream! But no matter what I eat, I am pretty sure that eating a lot of calories of anything before bedtime is not a good thing......please tell me why I shouldn't do it!! I need re-enforcement!!! I cringe when I think about how much late-night eating has ruled my life over the years! HELP!!!!
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Eating a lot of calories before bed is not inherently a bad thing, assuming it doesn't put you over your goal totals for the day. Actually, some people prefer to eat most of their calories closer to bedtime as a big meal often leads to a big energy crash, which is a good thing if you're trying to sleep.

My advice would be to eat light throughout the day, and allot most of your caloric intake to later in the evening. I think this will help you to avoid nighttime cravings that you would have had if you were restricting calories close to bedtime. Just a suggestion.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Leida is offline Senior Member
    There is a whole slew of things you can do. What you are experiencing is either unwinding or comfort eating. The superficial solution is giving yourself a signal to stop eating, such as setting an alarm clock to go brush your teeth and remove yourself from the kitchen. The deeper truer solution is to find other ways to soothe yourself (bath, yoga, meditation, worry beads, cards, etc), learn that contentment is good enough (you need not answer the dissatisfaction message) and practice awareness of things and self.

I HIGHLY recommend Susan Alberts' books, such as But I Deserve this Chocolate and 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself without Food and Mindful Eating.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    I'm not being flip but don't buy the ice-cream in the first place, I used to do this kind of thing myself, but health begins in the shop - only shop when you've had a filling meal, and from a list, your willpower is at close to 100% then... not so much late at night when it's just there calling to you!

If you do want ice-cream, buy a single serving at a time, what you waste in money terms by not bulk buying, you'll save in all sorts of ways by not over-eating.

You could also try NOT reading food or diet blogs and pages, no matter how healthy, at that time of day, because all they go on about is, obviously, food, and maybe challenging yourself to a 12-hour fast per day, so if you wake at say 7am, that means you ban anything except water past 7pm?

Also long before finding primal, I found that making my evening meal smallest stopped me expecting it to be like the ultimate filling event of the day, which then led to grazing afterwards because whatever I was eating was never "enough" and home, alone, at night, there was nothing to stop me from it, so depending on my schedule I'd have a really generous breakfast or a huge lunch. I've stayed with that habit and while a babyish bit of me wants like this big feast to "look forward to," the adult part of me prefers to not go to bed stuffed these days.

(PS edit to add I realise that's the opposite of JJ's post made while I was typing, and I think it's just a case of knowing what motivates you best, and that was mine, so just sharing it fwiw! )
    Last edited by Lady D; 07-31-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    There is a whole slew of things you can do. What you are experiencing is either unwinding or comfort eating. The superficial solution is giving yourself a signal to stop eating, such as setting an alarm clock to go brush your teeth and remove yourself from the kitchen. The deeper truer solution is to find other ways to soothe yourself (bath, yoga, meditation, worry beads, cards, etc), learn that contentment is good enough (you need not answer the dissatisfaction message) and practice awareness of things and self.

I HIGHLY recommend Susan Alberts' books, such as But I Deserve this Chocolate and 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself without Food and Mindful Eating.
    You are right, it is definitely comfort eating, cause I just keep going, and going and going......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post

I hear you Jake and I've tried that, and sometimes it works, but sometimes I exceed my daily caloric goals because I can't stop at night.....but I'm getting better! Baby steps right now......
    Last edited by Barnyard; 07-31-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: wrong quote

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    I hear you Jake and I've tried that, and sometimes it works, but sometimes I exceed my daily caloric goals because I can't stop at night.....but I'm getting better! Baby steps right now......
    Sorry this was supposed to be in response to Jakes post

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    Yeah, that's why it helps to restrict calories a bit during the day so you can have more room for error at night. It takes some time to adjust, so just be patient and keep working at it.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    i'm an evening eater by nature so i save carbs and calories for those peak times. i'm strict with myself and dont buy foods i know will torment me after dark
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Yeah, that's why it helps to restrict calories a bit during the day so you can have more room for error at night. It takes some time to adjust, so just be patient and keep working at it.

If intermittant fasting is something you are interested in, you could try that. Having nothing all day, or just bulletproof coffee in my case, leaves you a lot more room to eat more at night if that is what you like to do. The other important thing of course is WHAT you are eating. If you feel like having a snack at night, something like meat or eggs would obviously be a better choice than ice cream.

You could also find something else to occupy your time with at night. Maybe start a workout program if you don't do something already or learn a new language. This would help if you are just eating out of boredom, not hunger.

Are you eating enough during the day? If you are drastically restricting your food it could just be regular hunger telling you to eat some food.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast