Thread: Mighty Mike's Journal page

MightyMike is offline Member

Mighty Mike's Journal

Primal Fuel
    Hello my name is Michael

This journal to document my success.
    Height: 6'4"
    Starting weight: ~300lbs

There is something awesome about being a big guy, people assume I can fight so they don't mess with me, women feel safe around me, I know my BMI says I am obese, but when I look at myself, I just feel overweight. I think they call that positive body image, mine is shattered when I see fully body photos of myself, in the photos I am sloppy. I made some excuses to myself, I stopped wearing some shirts, but I have a pile of bad photos and no good ones. I can say I have good cropping skills, cut out the bad parts of the photos before I send them to anyone.

On 15Mar and 27June I weighed myself both at 135 kg (298 lbs). During my March weigh in I was with my boss, we were catching a flight to the bush in Kenya, he tried to poke fun at my weight (guys way of helping) but positive self image that doesn't go far with me. Then he told me his story, he was overweight, cleaned up his diet to be mostly veggies and meat, added in body weight exercises and lost weight, he is 40 and has a six pack. Kept telling me its all about your hormones. At the time I think I only understood 10% of the message, since it was similar to how my doc told me I should be eating, reading the Primal Blueprint in July filled in the gaps.

After my March weigh in, I started IF two days a week, I started eating more salads and fruits, normal CW stuff. I would do this for a few weeks, or days then stop, then start again, and I was having some progress. Then we took a months vacation, and bam everything went back, progress lost.

I read the Paleo Diet, and the last week of may May I started over, this time I really cleaned up my diet, I was eating lots of fruit, I would have 1/2 a watermelon after dinner, this helped me get over the breads, pastas, sugars. I was pretty happy with what I was doing, so the June weigh in was disappointing to me, I had cleaned up my diet, I started working out and no progress; I expected more, I should say I expected something.

July has been a good month, I was introduced to the Primal Blueprint. I watched ever video I could find both for and opposing, read articles, I read the Primal Blueprint. I get it, what my diet does to my body, my CW of eat less + cardo was tossed out the window. For most of July I have been working out 3x a week, eating clean, eating primal, I completely cut the fruit and chips. I started feeling good, I want to workout, my muscles feel full, now I am sleeping good, wake up feeling rested. My coffee consumption is is cut to enjoyable cups vs the fuel to keep me going.

I am have small victories most days, finish the day eating good, an increase in my pushups, my pants fitting better.

My small victories are adding up
    27June: 298 lbs (135 kg)
    31July: 273 lbs (124 kg)

Month 1: 0 lbs
    Month 2: -25 lbs
    Last edited by MightyMike; 07-31-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Month 3, I have mixed feelings about this month. The positive is that I feel good, I feel like working out, I am sleeping well and wake up refreshed, I stopped being hungry all the time like in months one and two, this tells me things are working. What bothers me is I am not seeing fat drop off any longer. I really desire to be at my ideal weight, and I am questioning if Primal is the way of eating to get me there. I am not discouraged, I the positives of how good I feel tell me to stay on course.

In Aug the scale hasn't moved, but in the last two weeks I have had many people comment to me they see I am loosing weight, back in July when the weight was falling off the only person that noticed was my wife.

Hunger: months one and two I was very hungry all the time and I was eating more daily than I had in years, but the scale was going down. I couldn't believe how much I was eating and that weight was dropping off. I read and read posts on MDA, many said eat more fat, some said eat more carbs. I increased my fat to a stupid level, yes it would delay the on set of the hunger but I was still hungry, I tried adding potatoes (BTW potatoes are sure tasty when you haven't had one for some time) I didn't seem to react, what I found is that peanut butter a table spoon or so that would kick the hunger. I have read the Primal Blue Print, I know the view on legumes. Around the 1st of Aug my crazy hunger just stopped, I get hungry at meal times and then I eat and I feel satisfied, prior to Primal I didn't have that strong sense of hunger/satisfaction (fullness) and and I am sure that is why I was over eating. The hungry all the time stopped I believe is from one of three things: option 1 my body switched from sugar burning to fat burning (good job DNA), option 2 my body has adjusted to the current calorie intake (means time to cut calories) or option 3 I am not on the right path to achieve my genetic potential.

Th first 2 weeks of the month I was working out 3 x week, 2 x full body workouts either kettlebell or body weight, and 1 x sprints. Week 3 I increased it to 5 days a week in hopes to the 2 more days would stimulate some fat loss. I can feel I am not giving my body the much needed recovery time going 5 x week, so I scaling back to 3 x week. My workout lengths are increasing, when I started in July I would workout for 10-15 min and we done, I felt good about the workouts, now they are 30 min, I super-set the full body then rest one min and repeat.

I started with some supplements this month: mid month I added fish oil daily, multivitamin daily, in the last week of the month I added B-complex. B-complex makes me feel really good, I gave some to my wife and niece to see if it was the pill, they don't notice anything, so I don't know if my body was low on the B's or if that is how the supplement reacts with my body, either way its kind of awesome.

My September Goal: stay on course, don't make any major changes, keep eating primal, keep working out 3x week. If my Sep results are like my Aug results, I will make a revision to what I am doing.

Jan to March: 289-298 lbs (131-135 kg)
    27June: 298 lbs (135 kg) 1st month completed
    31July: 273 lbs (124 kg) 2nd month completed
    31Aug: 271 lbs (123 kg) 3rd month completed

Month 1: 0 lbs
    Month 2: -25 lbs
    Month 3: -2 lbs

zinnia is offline Member
    Hi Mike, I just wanted to pop in and say good luck! It sounds to me like you are making some pretty amazing progress, even if the scales aren't moving. When other people notice you are losing weight (or really, losing fat), you know you are doing something right. Don't get confused by the zillion different viewpoints on the MDA forums. Just follow basic primal for a few months and don't go overboard with making "tweaks" or "hacks." It seems like you are doing just that, so keep up the great work!

Jittery jay is offline Junior Member
    Good job ! I'm sure working out has stimulated a good amount of muscle growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jittery jay View Post
    Good job ! I'm sure working out has stimulated a good amount of muscle growth.
    This is true, my muscles are coming back so fast I developed some stretch marks on my lats, biceps and edge of my chest, they are small but now I am using the last of my wife's pregnancy cream to stop further spread.

Zinnia and Jitttery jay, thank you for your support

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Well done Mike, you are getting some mighty results. It's great that you are tracking them here cos one day you will want to look back and see how far you've come. The scale isn't the only (or even the best) way to measure your progress - measurements and how your clothes fit are a good guide, as well as how strong and healthy you feel. Keep up the great work.

Another month done and for the most part things are going well. The eating is natural to me, I don't have the crazy cravings any longer. What I notice is now I am satisfied when I eat, and my portion control comes natural to me. I down loaded a calorie counting app and most days I eat about 2,300 calories, and I am full.
    I am still working out x3 a week, and I am becoming stronger in my workouts, I can see the fullness and growth of my muscles. I look forward to my workouts.
    My arms are back up to 17", so a step in the right direction.
    Body weight isn't changing much, which is kind of disappointing to me, I want some change in the scale. I am wearing size 40 slacks, I can button up the size 38, but I shouldn't, I get a complete muffin top when I do, I think I need to drop quite a bit of weight before that is a comfortable size.

30Sep: 269 lbs (122 kg) 4th month completed

moluv is offline Senior Member
    30 pounds in 4 months- that's phenomenal. Good for you.

I just skimmed over your journal so far so can't give any specific cheat leading but I'll be back.

6'4", women feel safe, yeah. 6'4" with some abz and women will be feeling a lot more than safe

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    One more month completed. I have continued to workout 3x week, mostly body weight or Kettle bell, my strength is improving. Mid month I started counting and limiting my calories to 1,800-2,200 a day, pretty good results so far. In the last two weeks people around me have started to notice the change in my body, I distribution has improved, shoulders are rounder, waste is smaller, my legs look longer, my clothing fits better. 2 years ago I was 15 lbs lighter than now, and I am back in the same clothes that I wore then, I think that is the working out paying off.

I don't think a pure primal diet is for me, but aspects from it, like eating more veggies and fresh meats, less processed is a change I am planning on keeping forever.

Overall, things are good

30Sep: 269 lbs (122 kg) 4th month completed
    30Oct: 262 lbs (119 kg) 5th month completed