Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Broken Food System - A Vent page

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member

Our Broken Food System - A Vent

Shop Now
    Just had to vent my anger and I don't know of any other place in which to do it. So here it is.

A friend of mine from high school that was my Thespians VP when I was president my senior year, who occasionally went to youth group with me and was involved in stage managing a few productions in high school lost his 3 year old little girl last night to a brief and ferocious battle with E. Coli.

It just makes me so angry - knowing how CAFO systems encourage resistant e. coli to breed. Knowing how our own good gut flora can help to battle pathogenic bacteria. Knowing how properly raised foods are less likely to harbor this bacteria. Knowing this little girl would still be around this morning and her parents playing with her and her little brother instead of in mourning if there were just more REAL food.

I never met my friend's wife in person (though she is a facebook friend) and I never got to meet his children either. But I'm still so heartbroken and angry at a completely preventable death. I don't blame her parents - who only ever had her best interests at heart and wouldn't feed her anything they didn't feel appropriate - these are not fast food addicts, they make home cooked meals and follow the guidelines of our FDA and Dept. of Ag. . . . . they are victims of our broken food system.

It makes me more dedicated than ever to be an activist and spokesperson for real food! (As if my own healing weren't enough)

Thanks for letting me vent . . .

(If you're the praying kind - please lift up this family in your prayers, they recently moved and don't have the support system of a church family yet and there own families are thousands of miles away)
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I can't imagine the grief your friend and his wife are suffering, and I fully understand your need to vent. My thoughts are with you and your friend.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    As far as e.coli and meat is concerned, it's as much if not more a result of factory slaughterhouses where the carcasses go by so fast that the underpaid and undertrained workers can't be careful and the inspectors can't see if contamination occurs, if there are any inspectors on site at all. And then one contaminated carcass can be mixed into a batch of a million pounds of hamburger and distributed nationwide.

It is fracked.

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    It makes me more dedicated than ever to be an activist and spokesperson for real food! (As if my own healing weren't enough)
    I'm so sad for them. but uplifted somewhat by this being your reaction, so I wish you all the very best in reaching out and changing minds on this!

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I have a four-year old girl, so this hits close to home. I can not imagine the pain they are feeling. It is especially painful knowing that it was preventable. I am saddened by your friend's unfathomable loss.

CaveBug is online now Senior Member
    I am so sorry for their loss that is terrible. Food is one of the most important things to life (you know, it's up there with water and air) and the fact that we can be so blind to where it comes from is sad. Things like this shouldn't have to happen. All you're trying to do is keep the kids fed but when everything you've been told since you were a kid says not to worry, why would you.

All my best goes out to your friend and the family.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Condolences to the family and you.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Hugs to you and prayers for the family.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Knowing all too well what these parents are going through, I will remember this little girl and send comforting thoughts to these parents today. The sad thing is that they will probably think about what happened every time they eat or feed their son and eating disorders are likely to follow. Maybe with time, they too will lead the fight for safer/real food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast