Thread: Weak inflexible ankles page

A R R is offline Junior Member

Weak inflexible ankles

Primal Fuel
    Hey there.
    I'm new to the forum and was hoping on benefiting from any advice you guys could share.

I've been following the CC program some time now but am having difficulty with the close squats. I've sprained both ankles in the past multiple times so I find that the required strength and flexibility isn't there. Does anyone know any exercises that can help?
    Thanks in advance.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A R R View Post
    Hey there.
    I'm new to the forum and was hoping on benefiting from any advice you guys could share.

I've been following the CC program some time now but am having difficulty with the close squats. I've sprained both ankles in the past multiple times so I find that the required strength and flexibility isn't there. Does anyone know any exercises that can help?
    Thanks in advance.
    Therapy after my achilles was in a cast all summer ... stretching (both gastroc - straight knee - and soleus - bent knee) and leg raises. When you can do 3 sets of 15 on a stair step (or equivalent) with a 5 second hold at the top of each ... move on to one-legged. When you can do 3 sets of 15 on each leg with a hold at the top, you have graduated. Remember to drop the foot below horizontal on each raise - the purpose of the step/equivalent.

A R R is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Therapy after my achilles was in a cast all summer ... stretching (both gastroc - straight knee - and soleus - bent knee) and leg raises. When you can do 3 sets of 15 on a stair step (or equivalent) with a 5 second hold at the top of each ... move on to one-legged. When you can do 3 sets of 15 on each leg with a hold at the top, you have graduated. Remember to drop the foot below horizontal on each raise - the purpose of the step/equivalent.
    Thank you very much.

Dutch is offline Junior Member
    Range of motion exercises with an elastic therapy band are really good (wrap the band around your foot, move it against the resistance. Do this forward, back, right, and left. You can wrap then other end of the band around something and adjust your body position to do this, or you can ask someone else to hold it for back, left, and right). The calf raises are also very good. Don't forget to do lots of balance exercises too. I have sprained each ankle while it was very strong from these types of exercises, but apparently the "sensors" in my ankles that are supposed to coordinate stability just don't work very well so I need to work on those...

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Another ankle strengthener I just remembered -- single leg standing, 30 sec per leg. When you can do this easily, start swinging the other (free) leg around (forward/back, sideways in/out, circles in each direction). When both legs are stable with that, go back to just standing for 30 sec - but eyes closed. Advance to movement again, only with eyes closed. All the little stabilizers get worked this way.

Myrtille is offline Member
    You have exercices in the VFF page here
    Most of them are good foe ankles.