Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got any tips to help constipation? page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    High fat, coconut oil, and magnesium for the win. That would be my recommended starting point anyhow.

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium Citrate during the day, Magnesium Glycinate at night has worked well for me.......higher healthy fats.....check out Ron Swanson's posts on here, he has constipation protocols for lots of different scenarios.....http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread88054.html
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    So the advice given so far seems to boil down into more carbs, more fat or more magnesium.

Add me to the magnesium camp.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Another vote for magnesium also high dose of vitamin c.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Fermented foods, miso, kimchi, sauerkraut. Probiotics (Greek yogurt). Magnesium supplements.
    This is good. I feel like an expert in constipation. Had it for 8 years. Did everything the docs said and nothing helped.

Here is what worked for me; it took about 4 months but the result is perfection on the poop scale.

Eat 60-65% fats, 20% protein, 15% carbs. The carbs should include a lot of leafy greens to provide soluble fiber and lots of the cabbage family, both cooked in CO or boiled. No starches such as potatoes.

Magnesium daily, Probiotic capsules before every meal, plus those mentioned by Damiana.

Never let constipation build up. If you're constipated (no poop) one day, take Milk of Magnesia that night. Every time. It's safe and harmless and works wonderfully well. You will not become reliant on it.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Soluable fibre and resistant starch. Taking supplements like magnesium to prevent constipation isn't a smart idea.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 08-01-2013 at 01:36 AM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    This is good. I feel like an expert in constipation. Had it for 8 years. Did everything the docs said and nothing helped.

Here is what worked for me; it took about 4 months but the result is perfection on the poop scale.

Eat 60-65% fats, 20% protein, 15% carbs. The carbs should include a lot of leafy greens to provide soluble fiber and lots of the cabbage family, both cooked in CO or boiled. No starches such as potatoes.

Magnesium daily, Probiotic capsules before every meal, plus those mentioned by Damiana.

Never let constipation build up. If you're constipated (no poop) one day, take Milk of Magnesia that night. Every time. It's safe and harmless and works wonderfully well. You will not become reliant on it.
    Almost exactly my story. I drink or eat kombucha with almost every meal, or sauerkraut, and always take my magnesium - and a big dose if it's been more than two days since I went.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    another vote for magnesium -- we are almost all deficient. and more activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Fermented foods, miso, kimchi, sauerkraut. Probiotics (Greek yogurt). Magnesium supplements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    High fat, coconut oil, and magnesium for the win. That would be my recommended starting point anyhow.
    good advice
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Soluable fibre and resistant starch. Taking supplements like magnesium to prevent constipation isn't a smart idea.
    some of us eat low-carb, so starch isn't always an option. there is no danger in a low dose of magnesium.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    what form of magnesium do you all use? I am using mag citrate caps and mag glycinate tabs, bought at local drug store.....
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast