Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Decreasing inflammation and stress page

  1. #1
    teach2183's Avatar
    teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,057

    Decreasing inflammation and stress

    Primal Fuel
    I've been frustrated for a while now that I can't seem to break this weight plateau. I've been hovering around 173lbs since December, so about 8 months. I have gotten down to 168, but went right back up. Maybe hovering around 171-172 right now, but that's all basically the same to me. Over this time I've done a lot of exercising, but mostly focused on significant strength training. I know that my body is prone to inflammation... hence the stress fractured shins in college, wrist tendonitis in HS playing volleyball, and super long time to heal after a rollerblading injury to my knee. So I think I need to switch gears for a little while and see if I can't decrease the inflammation to get my weight down. I know I have a solid muscle base, but just need to remove the fat that's on top.

    If I remember, I will in tomorrow morning. But here is my plan going forward (until DD starts Spanish at 8am in October):

    6:30am wake-up, ~30min yoga (I found a website with free yoga videos!)
    7:00 Tea while getting caught up on work email
    7:30 Cook, eat breakfast with kids
    8:30 Put DD on bus for school

    Nap time - hopefully at least 1 hour of work

    7:30pm 1 lap around neighborhood - approximately 1 mile
    8-9pm - finish up work
    9-10pm relax with book in bed

    Wed nights - indoor soccer 1-2 games

    I'm going to see how the yoga with a little pilates feels for my muscles. If I feel like I'm losing a lot of strength (will be able to tell from soccer), then I will add in 2 days of body weight strength training. But for now I'm wondering if my body just needs to relax. Hopefully the morning yoga will help me distress and the tea will be a good start to my day. I'm going to visit the Trader Joe's in town soon and might take a look at what organic, white teas with some flavoring they have. I'm also going to try as much as I can to get DS out and active during the day, and to be active with him. This will be trickier once he starts gymnastics and soccer since I have to sit and watch those. But each afternoon I'd like to get the kids to the park and maybe let them play follow the leader, since they love it. Hoping for a less stress school year and improvement in my overall health.

  2. #2
    teach2183's Avatar
    teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,057
    Things are off to an okay start, with yoga this morning. Of course, DS woke up about 10 minutes into the 23 minute video. But he came in the playroom with me (only carpet in the house) and just layed there watching me. Perhaps this will encourage him to sleep in, or as he is able maybe he'll even join me. A 3yo boy doing real yoga, that would be kind of funny. But we'll see where it goes. Tonight I have 2 soccer games, and tomorrow it will be back to yoga and walking. Here's to hoping that all of this works!

    Weight: 171.8

  3. #3
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    What are you doing for diet in terms of inflammation? I found a low carb, meat and fat heavy to be the most inflammatory diet there is. I would greatly suggest a low fat, starch, fiber, muscle meat and high sugar, gelatin and dairy diet. A few reasons, animal protein is high in inflammatory aminos like methionine, cystein and tryptophan, also usually high in omega 6 fatty acids. Starch/fiber can cause digestive issues leading to slow transit time and IBS issues/leaky gut which is a big problem in terms of inflammation and low carb can cause issues with thyroid which lowers your bodys ability to cope with stress, among other things.

    Just a thought, chronic inflammation is something i have been battling for a few years now.
    Last edited by Zach; 07-31-2013 at 02:16 PM.

  4. #4
    teach2183's Avatar
    teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    What are you doing for diet in terms of inflammation? I found a low carb, meat and fat heavy to be the most inflammatory diet there is. I would greatly suggest a low fat, starch, fiber, muscle meat and high sugar, gelatin and dairy diet. A few reasons, animal protein is high in inflammatory aminos like methionine, cystein and tryptophan, also usually high in omega 6 fatty acids. Starch/fiber can cause digestive issues leading to slow transit time and IBS issues/leaky gut which is a big problem in terms of inflammation and low carb can cause issues with thyroid which lowers your bodys ability to cope with stress, among other things.

    Just a thought, chronic inflammation is something i have been battling for a few years now.
    Interesting perspective. I'm still trying to figure out the ideal diet for myself. This summer has been rough and I've been indulging in too much junk. I do know that wheat causes bad reactions and anything real high carb (rice, corn based pasta) causes me to retain water and therefore weight. I feel best when I eat more protein, so moving to a low meat based diet is highly unlikely. I am venturing into more organic/grass fed meats which will take care of the O6 concerns. I'm going to remove dairy for a month after ice cream season is over for me to see if that clears up my allergies. But still a long way to go to figure out what I'm sensitive to and what my body runs best on.

    Last night was a disaster. As our last hurrah of the summer, we went to the library, out of for ice cream, to the park, and then out for dinner. I ate WAY too much and realized after dinner what day it was and that I had to play soccer that night. I had a bad stomach ache through both games and barely made it to the bathroom when I got home. Never again will I eat that much before playing! I'm going to get back to planning our dinners starting with this Sunday. From there things should start looking up.

    Did my yoga this morning and had my tea before breakfast. Planning to take DS to the museum today while DD is at camp. He'll want to explore the outdoor stuff, so that will mean walking and possibly some climbing. Tonight might be another disaster dinner and the local burger joint that just opened. But the meat is mostly grass fed and if I can avoid eating too many fries I actually should be okay. The ILs are coming over, which is why we'll likely go out. Should get in my walk tonight though.

  5. #5
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Not low protein, just low inflammatory aminos. Gelatin could make up half your protein and i bet you would feel much better. Also if you remove dairy be sure to get calcium some how, eating all that meat will up your phosphorus and you want that to ge balanced with calcium.

  6. #6
    teach2183's Avatar
    teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Not low protein, just low inflammatory aminos. Gelatin could make up half your protein and i bet you would feel much better. Also if you remove dairy be sure to get calcium some how, eating all that meat will up your phosphorus and you want that to ge balanced with calcium.
    Hmm. Is gelatin found in bone broth? I've been thinking about incorporating more of that into my diet. Perhaps that would be a good thing to look into. I'm planning to go to Trader Joe's tomorrow, so I'll see if I can find some there. Thinking maybe I could use some bone broth to make my tea in the morning, although heating it up could be trickier, maybe half water, half broth. I think broccoli is high in calcium, right? We eat a fair amount of that and get it organic. I'm definitely open to what will help me feel better! Thanks for the ideas.

  7. #7
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Yep bone broth and anything made with joints, ox tails, etc. bone broth also has a fair amount of calcium if you let it go for a long time and use a bit o vinager. You can also just buy a supplement like knox or great lakes and use it in stews or to make jello or in coffee. Veggies in general are not a great source of minerals since they are bound in fiber and you would have to cook the hell out of em and also eat a lot. Taking a supp would be best if you are not eating any dairy although i think dairy is great so maybe just eat some. you can make your own calcium supp out of eggshells btw.

  8. #8
    teach2183's Avatar
    teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yep bone broth and anything made with joints, ox tails, etc. bone broth also has a fair amount of calcium if you let it go for a long time and use a bit o vinager. You can also just buy a supplement like knox or great lakes and use it in stews or to make jello or in coffee. Veggies in general are not a great source of minerals since they are bound in fiber and you would have to cook the hell out of em and also eat a lot. Taking a supp would be best if you are not eating any dairy although i think dairy is great so maybe just eat some. you can make your own calcium supp out of eggshells btw.
    I'm trying to stay away from anything processed. So no supplements and nothing out of a box. I will see if TJs has any bones from a grass fed animal. Does the type of feed matter for making broth? I seem to remember that it does. I'm removing the dairy as a trial to see if any of my long term congestion goes away. Perhaps some time without it and some healing bone broth will let me go back to eating it. We can't afford the super expensive or grass fed cheeses.

    Tonight wasn't a total disaster. Had a burger with bacon, cheese, and mushrooms. Didn't eat a ton of fries, and we got 2 cups of custard to share between the 7 of us. So I just had a few bites. Tomorrow starts the true staying on plan. I'm taking DS to TJs in the morning to see what their prices are like. I wonder what they have in terms of grass fed meat and/or dairy, including what their price for eggs would be. We also walked to dinner, which makes it not as bad. I got in my own walk around the neighborhood while the kids were in the bath tub as well. Of course, some extra frustration because DH let them just play in the tub the whole time I was gone. It's now after 8 and neither kid is in bed. DD has camp in the morning, so she should not be up this late. I have to read to them in a few minutes and then get my work done. I'm actually glad we're getting back to a regular routine and will stop these late nights for the kids. They do not do well staying up and DH loses track of time.

    Ready to take on another day!

  9. #9
    peril's Avatar
    peril is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    2,679
    Really Zach? Please put up some evidence that a meat and vegetables diet is inflammatory. All of this gelatin supplementation is just bollocks. Buy cheap cuts of meat with lots of connective tissue and or skin and you get the tastiest gelatin at a great price. And sugar is about as inflammatory as you can get, short of seed oils
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

    Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

  10. #10
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Really Zach? Please put up some evidence that a meat and vegetables diet is inflammatory. All of this gelatin supplementation is just bollocks. Buy cheap cuts of meat with lots of connective tissue and or skin and you get the tastiest gelatin at a great price. And sugar is about as inflammatory as you can get, short of seed oils
    I already answered that. Please tell me how sugar from whole food is inflammatory?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •