Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flax meal page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Flax meal

Primal Fuel
    I bought some flax meal awhile back, I don't even remember what I used it for. Now I have most of a sack left and don't want to waste it. I been adding it to my meatloaf mix and the meatloaf comes out just fine except there is a slightly slimy/slippery texture, but no real taste difference. Is this consistent with the way flax meal behaves in meatloaf?

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    pretty much how it behaves in everything!

i think as long as it doesn't smell rancid (you'd be able to tell), it's fine.

i had to throw away some recently and it just had "that smell", that old ass OIL smell.

julia

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    once it's open you should store it in the freezer to prolong shelf-life.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Mine was in the fridge, but a year ain't gonna prolong anything.

Hahahahaha!

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I bought some flax meal awhile back, I don't even remember what I used it for. Now I have half of a 16 oz. sack left and don't want to waste it. I been adding it to my meatloaf mix and the meatloaf comes out just fine except there is a slightly slimy/slippery texture, but no real taste difference. Is this consistent with the way flax meal behaves in meatloaf?
    I've been storing it in the fridge as the package recommends and the use by date seems to be at least next year. Smells fine too.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 07-31-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Sounds like you're good to go Miss Rosemary, carry on!

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    I used to get flax seeds and I would soak them over night and it would turn into a thick paste type thing, then I would mix the seeds with tomato paste, onion powder, garlic and egg whites and make crackers. I also made they "sweet" with stevia and cinnamon. They were good, but FLAX is super high in fiber, so they made me sooooo bloated! ha!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I would never buy flax meal due to rancidity. I do have a pack or 2 of golden flax seeds but I don't use them often, only to make muffins maybe once every 2 months. Flax seeds have some estrogen mimics in such amount that is too high for comfort ...

My bag calls it "flax seed meal", probably just another form of flax. I don't mind the slimy texture in the meatloaf all that much, rather it wasn't there, but I made a commitment to myself that I would not waste food. If I bought it or made it, I'll eat it up, unless, of course, it's just so bad I can't choke it down. I really believe single people, living alone, waste a tremendous amount of food, which equals money. (Money I could spend on a hair weave more often) By the way, the crackers sound great, would you share the recipe?

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    My bag calls it "flax seed meal", probably just another form of flax. I don't mind the slimy texture in the meatloaf all that much, rather it wasn't there, but I made a commitment to myself that I would not waste food. If I bought it or made it, I'll eat it up, unless, of course, it's just so bad I can't choke it down. I really believe single people, living alone, waste a tremendous amount of food, which equals money. (Money I could spend on a hair weave more often) By the way, the crackers sound great, would you share the recipe?

Money you already spent is considered to be a sunk cost and shouldn't (rationally) be included in your decision. I haven't done much research about flax, mainly because it has never occured to me to try to eat it, but what I have heard has not been good. If it were me, I would just toss it like I did with my canola oil and pasta when I started eating this way. If a "food" is not optimal and no longer fits your goals then disposing of it isn't really a "waste." If you know any vegans you could give it to them, I think they use it to get a not very bioavailable source of omega 3 in their diets. I prefer fish.

Regarding the meat loaf, Tim Ferriss' Four Hour Chef book has a very delicious primal-compatable recipe in it. Basically, it uses portabella mushroom and onion ground up in a food processor as the binder/filler in the meat loaf. It also says to roll the meat up around some spinach and goat cheese in the middle, which is an awesome idea. Delicious, healthy, and not slimy (gross!)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast