Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerrygold Butter No Longer 100% Grass Fed page

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Kerrygold Butter No Longer 100% Grass Fed

Primal Fuel
    Saw this blog, thought some here might care. I will probably continue to use it, since it is still better than most alternatives. Still, it's a bummer.

Apparently Organic Valley ALSO supplements their grass fed cows with grain feed, including Non GMO Soy, Corn, and other.

Why I Stopped Buying Kerrygold Butter « hopecentric

Do with this knowledge what you desire, if anything. ^^

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure it was never exactly 100% grass-fed (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking the same thing JJ...
    Ditto for Organic Valley... like, how were they going to be grass fed year round in New York, etc.? I was never under the mistaken impression that anything other than their summer pasture fed butter was pasture fed.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    no, it never was. they don't have the weather over winter for them to be pasture fed and never have. only new zealand does really
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    That is unfortunate we go through roughly 1 pound a month of Organic Valley Pastured butter. There are farms all around me that have the OV logo under their own... Maybe I could stop by and talk to them and get the real story behind the soy and grain? Like what is the allowable % of grain in their diets. I can say this though that the pastures the OV cows are on are nice and green and not over populated

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Often grass fed milking cows are offered a some grain or hay to get them to the milking shed.

It also seems to distract them and keep them calm whilst milking.

I assumed this was the case with case with most grass fed dairy.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    no, it never was. they don't have the weather over winter for them to be pasture fed and never have. only new zealand does really
    Good point - I wondered how they would go over their winter.

I buy NZ grass fed butter and cheese - its just across the pond for me.

sqidmark is offline Member
    Hay is dried grass. This is what grass fed cows eat over the winter. Also, my brother has to feed each (beef) cow a literal handful of grain (each day I think) in order to keep them from breaking out and traveling to greener pastures. That and a couple of occasional alfalfa cubes seem to keep them content.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Hay is dried grass. This is what grass fed cows eat over the winter. Also, my brother has to feed each (beef) cow a literal handful of grain (each day I think) in order to keep them from breaking out and traveling to greener pastures. That and a couple of occasional alfalfa cubes seem to keep them content.
    That is adorable. And that is the sort of thing that makes me not get my knickers very knotted over grass fed vs. free fed. We have local free fed cows and they do what makes them happy. They aren't in a feed lot somewhere. (Gosh, I drove past one in California on Hwy 5 a couple of weeks ago? It was like Guantanamo for cows; the place looked like hell.)
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Doesn't Organic Valley now offer a butter that is 100% pasture fed? Or grass fed? I can't remember exactly how it's labeled. It is more expensive than their regular organic butter that is pasture raised (again, I can't remember the exact label!).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast