Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What have been your best health tweaks? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

What have been your best health tweaks?

Primal Fuel
    What are the things you have given up / added to your life that you know made a difference to your health and vitality, and why?

Supplements / diet / exercise?

For me,

Diet:
    - Giving up gluten (bye-bye: spots, hair loss, thrice-daily energy crashes)
    - Giving up starch (bye-bye body odour and fatigue)
    - Adding supplemental gelatine (reduced appetite, hair grows faster, stronger nails)
    - Reducing booze
    - making fruit a cornerstone of my diet (farewell insomnia)

Supplements:
    - Liquid Vitamin D (so long Kerastaris pilaris and pasty skin, hello golden skin of my childhood!)
    - Topical vitamin B3 (has reduced my facial redness)
    - Progesterone oil and Vitex (bye bye depression!)
    - Copper peptides (adieu blackheads)

Exercise:
    - Taking up yoga improved my mobility and strength, improved my strength, and got me to a decent base level of fitness without causing physiological stress. Plus I love the satisfaction of the advanced body weight postures.
    - Interval running (walk - jog - sprint) finally showed me how to get endorphin boosts from exercise.
    - Playing in playgrounds (swings, jungle gym etc.) makes me happy
    - I've just started lifting, but it's already helped my yoga immensely, and I'm anticipating more great things
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Cutting out dairy, grains and adding vitamin D3 in the winter months. I should also add that prioritizing my sleep, handling stress better and trying to live in the moment makes me a happier person today.

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    I'm still experimenting, trying to find that sweet spot.

Diet:
    - Giving up gluten, refined sugar and PUFA oils has cleared up my chronic acne. I had spots every where and never linked it to my diet.
    - In my case it was adding starch, rice, potatoes, some corn. Low carb depleted me.
    - High sugar fruits. Watermelon, grapes, bananas, dates. My dry skin from low carbing cleared up and I don't look anaemic any more! I had the appearance of a zombie that had the life sucked of them.
    - Eating more protein for satiation.

Supplements:
    - I take some omega 3 supplements but haven't noticed much of a difference (I avoid any kind of seafood). That's it.

Exercise:
    - I no longer feel guilty after missing a workout, and actually enjoy my cardio sessions that used to feel like a daily chore.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Diet
    -Giving up gluten & refined sugar, esp. together to clear up acne.
    -Probably also why my nails aren't peeling anymore.
    -Also it improved my energy levels so I'm not a sloth.

Supplements
    -Vitamin D in the winter time eliminated my Seasonal Affective disorder.
    -Vitex for libido! I have one! Also has improved energy.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    FCLO/HFBO, Primal 50-100g range, HIT 1-2x/week

Now for the interesting things though... I've been doing the above for over 3 years now, but these are the subcategories I think anyone entering the lifestyle of ancestral eating or HG and evolutionary based lifestyle ne:ed to do:

Supplements:

Ditch em all! I only do FCLO/HFBO in the cold months and have it for my kids since they won't eat enough offal. Epsom salt baths are actually a keeper though.

Diet:

1. Eat Offal, eggs, and seafood!
    2. Choose bone in fatty chunks of meat. Think Fred Flinstone when your in the meat section and get what looks to be the least processed chunks. Whole chickens, Bone in Roasts, Whole fish... ect.
    3. Learn to ferment 24 hour yogurt and lacto-ferment veggies.
    4. Start a garden and read up on permiculture! You can have a food forest in under a 1/4 an acre.

Exercise:

Less is More! HIT rocks!
    Drew Bayes has good stuff as does Doug McGuff

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    This is tough because I feel like I've been tweaking all my adult life.

In the 80s, a darling friend told me that after a lifetime of always being 15-20 pounds from ideal weight, his mother successfully (and fairly easily) realized that weight by giving up almost all "white stuff," i.e. grains and simple carbs. He also told me that livestock is fattened by using the same (then) pyramid that the govt was recommending for humans. Lesson learned: don't listen to the govt for nutritional info. Also, limit carbs to the occasional pizza and the rice at the sushi bars.

Also in the 80s - stop recreating with cocaine. Your nasal septum is meant to last a lifetime. Discovered lifting. Loved it.

The 90s. Fiddled with vegetarianism (never veganism because I believe in dairy and eggs and fish, oh my!). Exercised a lot. Practiced monogamy (which I think only makes you healthier if you're allergic to latex). Went back to eating animals because life is too damn short. Quit smoking. Even when I got very overweight at the end of the decade, my labs and bp were great.

The 00s. Struggled with obesity at the beginning of the decade. Read some stuff on rats who lived substantially longer on restricted calories. Did restricted calories and halved my body weight back to college weight. Changed my attitude toward exercise to encompass that which I'll be able to do forever - walking, biking, increasing flexibility. But I love lifting, so I never give it up for too long.

The 10s. Was doing okay until an emotional trauma (death in the family) sent me spiraling. Gained about 60 pounds as an adjunct to self-medicating with alcohol. Decided that was NOT okay. Pink slime. Found Primal. Gave up CAFO, processed, and "diet" foods. Started walking again. Started regaining my flexibility again. Paid attention to sleep (really, lack of good sleep will drive you bat-shit). Cook 95%+ of the food I eat. Stopped trying to be the social creature the culture said was healthy. Found a modicum of peace.

It's an ongoing thing. Sleep is essential. My priorities have changed. I no longer care about being "skinny" enough to find a mate. If the scale shows <140, that's good enough, and anyone who doesn't like it can kiss my (plump old) ass in Macy's window. I want to be flexible enough to touch my big toe on either foot to my nose even when I'm 80. There are days (many) when I eat almost no carbs to speak of, and days when I sloth out on white rice, garlic, and butter. There are foods I haven't tried yet (goat testicles, anyone?). Stinky fish in cans have become so "in," that I'm almost embarrassed to eat them, but I've eaten them forever.

It could change tomorrow. I could wake up and decide that I want to be 90 pounds and live to be 150. My life would change.

Honestly, the most important is sleep. I used to pride myself in being one of those people who could exist on five hours/night. But I was crazy as a shit house rat. Seven is better. I look forward to eight.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    In general, my best health tweaks have been doing what makes me feel best.

And this may be different than what anyone else does, and I think that's important to note. Everyone is different, everyone likes a certain way of dieting and exercise over others.

For specifics, I have begun to lift weights 5-6 times per week. As far as diet, I have increased carbs and lowered fat as that is what makes me look, feel, and perform best.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    @ Yogabare, the starch was really making you smell?!

Mine has been quitting stuff like bread, pasta and brown rice. NO more aches and terrible agility!
    The second best health tweak is cutting the bottles of olive oil.
    The third best has been not becoming dependent on a particular w.o.e...

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    - grain and legume free
    - one meal a day most of the time
    - sprints and body weight exercise
    - lots of walking and biking in between
    - lots of sleep time
    - make my own food
    - no stress

diene is offline Senior Member
    Giving up wheat = no more cystic acne

Supplements:
    Magnesium citrate + potassium chloride = no more ridiculously sore calves
    10,000 IUs of D3 = have not gotten sick since (used to get sick all the time)
    rhodiolia = no more f-ed up circadian rhythm where I'm awake at night and tired in the afternoons (continues to work even on days when I don't take it)

Working out in general = no more depression

Still trying to find the thing that makes me lose weight.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast