Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Having Trouble! page

JASchewe is offline Junior Member

Help! Having Trouble!

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone,

I am a 42-year-old woman who is 30lbs overweight. I went to a nutritionist and she put me on this diet. I have done Atkins about 12 years ago and lost 50lbs, (20 in the first month) but have slowly gained it back. I have been following this plan religiously for 2 months and I am not losing any weight. Not only that I have not lost any fat, gained any muscle, and my BMI has not changed. I bought some keto sticks and I am barely registering a trace. In addition I am sleeping, but I awake exhausted. On Atkins I slept like a rock. I am weirdly stuck. We have tweaked and tweaked. My nutritionist is stumped. I don't feel particularly hungry and I eat a large amount of dairy, meat and non-starchy veggies (I even cut out fruit). Should I add more fat to my diet? Is it the sleep? Anyone want to throw a theory out there and give me an idea how to get unstuck.

Thanks,

Harpua is offline Member
    Maybe cut out the dairy and add a little bit of fruit. Are you exercising at all?
    M/35/5'10"
    SW: 325lbs
    Paleo start: 2/6/2013 @303lbs

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    talk about your dietary intake a little more- eg how much large amount of dairy and what is it?
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

bemental is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    talk about your dietary intake a little more- eg how much large amount of dairy and what is it?
    Dairy is always a killer for me. It's so easy to ingest A LOT more calories then you think with dairy products.

Seeing as there's nothing you particularly NEED from dairy if you've cut the rest of the garbage from you lifestyle, I too would suggest minimizing the dairy in your life for a few weeks and see how it goes.

CarbDodger-As far a dairy-I have a slice of cheese on my eggs and two tbs heavy whipping cream at breakfast, a babybel as a snack and a two tablespoons of feta or parmasan at lunch. I didn't meant to say I ate large amounts of dairy. I had a brain hiccup. Otherwise I have big salads with lots of veggies and grilled chicken with homemade salad dressings (no sugar). Or some type of grilled veggies and meat. No sugar, flour or starches of any kind.

Harpua-Yes, I workout for 30min cardio and 10-15 minutes weights 6 days a week.

Bemental-I am confused. I thought we were not supposed to be counting calories.

Jen
    Last edited by JASchewe; 07-30-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Jen, I am respectfully curious about the quantities of food you're eating, especially salads and low-fat meats, because although primal mainly does away with the need to count calories due to the absence of starchy non-satiating foods, your body is still a body and will react to a caloric excess past a certain point by storing fat, or at least not burning any off.

I'm not asking you to tell me what you eat but have a think about it, and maybe add up the numbers from one day to see where you're at?

I'm also curious about grilling meat - are you avoiding fat in general to eat? If that's the case, your body may still be turning excess protein into carbohydrate, and so still not have reached the fat-burning metabolism you want, which is why a lot of Atkins/paleo etc type diets say high fat, moderate protein, and low carb as their guideline.

If you find you NEED to snack between meals, or feel very much better when you do, this could perhaps indicate you still have a carb-burning, not fat-burning, metabolism that needs regular refuelling - at least as far as I understand the issue.

I'm no expert but from lots of reading, those are the questions that come to mind, and I wish you good luck getting this solved!
    Last edited by Lady D; 07-31-2013 at 07:41 AM.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    ketosticks arent always reliable but it seems something is keeping you out of ketosis. too much protein kicks me out so i'd concur with lady D. track protein, stay around 100-150 if you can,you dont need to go high fat but you might need to increase it a bit
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Lady D and CarbDodger

Here is a sample of my typical day.

Breakfast-2 eggs scrambled with 2 tbs heavy whipping cream, 2 oz diced turkey ham, and 1 slice Swiss cheese. 1 Avocado.
    Lunch-2 cups romaine lettuce with 10 kalamata olives, 1/2 English cucumber, 1/2 Roma tomato, 4 oz grilled chicken breast, 2 tbs feta cheese, and 2 tbs homemade Greek dressing (olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and oregano).
    Snack-1 Babybel cheese round with 1 bell pepper (red, orange, or yellow) sliced
    Dinner-4 oz grilled chicken breast with grilled asparagus tossed in olive oil and spices before cooking.

That is pretty much it. What do you think? I usually register between 1200 and 1400 calories, with the majority of it being the meat.

CarbDodger-is the 100-150 grams of protein?

Jen

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    I'm absolutely no expert but I can say that looks to me like the sample low-fat meal recommended in many magazines, the only thing they wouldn't have is the heavy cream with the eggs, but the "good" avocado and olive oil would be there.

I can't authoritatively tell you that if you eat more fat, you'll lose weight, but it does seem to be a bit low compared to what many people, myself included, are eating most days.

Edit to add, how do you think your carb intake now compares to before this recent change to prmal, and have you experimented with upping your carbs by having say a bit of potato, and dropping other macros slightly for one day to see if that had any effect?
    Last edited by Lady D; 07-31-2013 at 04:56 PM.

bemental is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JASchewe View Post
    CarbDodger-As far a dairy-I have a slice of cheese on my eggs and two tbs heavy whipping cream at breakfast, a babybel as a snack and a two tablespoons of feta or parmasan at lunch. I didn't meant to say I ate large amounts of dairy. I had a brain hiccup. Otherwise I have big salads with lots of veggies and grilled chicken with homemade salad dressings (no sugar). Or some type of grilled veggies and meat. No sugar, flour or starches of any kind.

Harpua-Yes, I workout for 30min cardio and 10-15 minutes weights 6 days a week.

Bemental-I am confused. I thought we were not supposed to be counting calories.

Jen
    Not counting, merely a personal observation from my own eating habits. For me, dairy makes it way too easy to imbibe more calories then I intend to due to their... concentrated nature. Additionally, dairy does weird things to a lot of people's bodies (lactose intolerance anyone?). And as stated magnificently by Lady D, "your body is still a body and will react to a caloric excess past a certain point by storing fat, or at least not burning any off."

Checking out your breakfast, I see a lot of dairy there in the form of: whipping cream, Swiss cheese, feta cheese, babybel cheese. Not necessarily bad, but since we're nitpicking to get to the bottom of this issue, it's something to keep in mind.

My final observation is the fat content, as also addressed by Lady D. Majority of the fat in your diet seems to be coming from, yet again, the dairy monster. Great on you for the avocado and olive oil, but that's basically the end of it. I have a feeling it might be a budget constraint (deli turkey, "grilled chicken breasts" frequently ring home as a cheaper variety of meat), and believe me I understand, but perhaps if we reduced the dairy and increase the fats in the healthiest manner possible (coconut oil, avocados and olive oil as you're already doing) we'd see a much starker transformation of your body from sugar burning to fat burning.

Merely food for though (pun!). All respectfully submitted of course!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast