Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help! Having Trouble! page 3

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JASchewe View Post
    Thanks CarbDodger! I will give that a try.
    i just noticed your AV which is you I presume-if it is you look lovely but if that's about you now i'd say definately increase into fattier meats- it might kick start your ketosis as your own body fat isnt that high
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

JASchewe is offline Junior Member
    Thanks CarbDodger-To be honest it is me a couple of years ago and about 20lbs lighter. I have had a lot of health issues over the last 5 years, got a good holistic Dr., and I finally think I am on top of it, mostly by changing my diet. Now it is time to focus on getting back to what I call the "real me." As of last Friday, my weight was 163.2, BMI 26.5, Fat 41.4%, Muscle 24.9%. My goal is weight 135, BMI 23 and a lot more muscle to fat ratio. Tomorrow is weigh in day. By the way, I am very impressed with your weight loss. Congratulations!

bemental is offline Member
    Always a pleasure to see someone with goals. I'll caution but once on focusing on weight alone as a goal (which I'm glad to see you with other achievables as well). Just remember that muscle does in fact weigh more then fat and also requires more calories to maintain, so keep pumping that iron and building that muscle as best you can.

Perhaps adding some personal measurements to your goals as well would be advisable? Waistline, thighs and buttocks are solid measurements to keep track of mainly because that's where the majority of individuals, in some combination, retain the most of the fatty adipose tissue. And even if your weight isn't moving down as fast as you'd like (replacing fat with muscle will probably counterbalance itself for a bit of time) you will still have tangible results at your disposal for motivation.
    Last edited by bemental; 08-01-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I would say you are plain not eating enough. I would up the calories from things like coconut oil and aim for about 2000 cal a day and stop worrying about loosing weight yet. Get enough good foods into you and enough fats so that your body does not think it is under stress all the time. spend 2 or 3 months minimum doing simple basic no hacks paleo and get your eating dialed before you try to find a trick to loose weight. It will happen when your body is ready.

A lot of folks ( Robb Wolf devotees) have suggested that a calorie calculation of 15 cal/lb of current weight is what you need to aim for to loose weight, for you that's like 2400 cal and as you drop you can adjust it. It seems a lot but if you eat a lot of that as fats, your body just seems to breath deeply and go ahhhhh yes. If you did that with sugar you would blow up. but meat and veg and fats works differently without all the sugar. I was having a hard time as well till I upped my fat calories to about 3500 total and then I started loosing weight again.

Paleo /primal is not a diet it is a lifestyle, it includes nutrition, the right exercise, play and sun and sleep and stress reduction. Have you read Mark's book? How about Robb wolf's? If you do it as just another diet it wont work and you will be frustrated.

I would say you are working out cardio wayyyyyyyyy too much. All that stress and everyday and so little calories? no wonder you cant sleep and or loose weight. I think you need to cut it all out for a few months, walk every day for an hour, sprint a bit every few days and sometimes lift something heavy a few times. No stress, no pounding heart rates, just calm easy relaxed effort.

I would go look up Jason Seib and his podcast. He rants a lot but he specialized in helping women fix themselves and loose weight,
    his book " the paleo coach" is a good one for hard case weight loss issues.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Warmbear; 08-01-2013 at 07:22 PM.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

JASchewe is offline Junior Member
    Thank you Warmbear and bemental. I have now upped my fats and am doing 1tbs coconut oil with every meal, in addition to my oil based dressing, avocado, and grass-fed butter. I just melt it and drink it.I also cut out dairy. I have upped my veggies and made sure I am eating at least one fruit.

Bemental-I have a scale that calculates weight, BMI, Visceral Fat, Percentage of Muscle, Percentage of Fat, and calories burned just existing. I agree I should do measurements as well and will start today.

Warmbear-I am just waiting for the book to get here. Up until this point I have been working with a primal nutritionist. I will look into getting "The Paleo Coach" and finding the podcast. I realize it is a lifestyle. I have had a good experience in the past, on Atkins, and "fell off the wagon." My Dr. says that my health is continuing to improve now that I am off the steroids and am doing Paleo/Primal and I am taking melatonin for sleep. Maybe I am just being impatient with the weight loss.

I am so proud of myself. I went to the movies with my daughter today and didn't get any popcorn. The most amazing thing is that I didn't even want any popcorn. That is incredible since I don't think I have ever, in my whole life, went to a movie without getting popcorn.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Jen

bemental is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich67ard View Post
    you dont need to go high fat but you might need to increase it a bit
    Agree Rich. I wouldn't be drinking the stuff for the sake of fat intake, but that butter compliments practically any food stuff out there and coconut oil is a solid replacement for cooking with.

Personally, I love movie theatre popcorn and that's usually one of gotta haves. Though last time it really wasn't as good as I remembered it to be!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123