Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Deadlift Grip is Failing... page

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member

My Deadlift Grip is Failing...

Primal Fuel
    Awright, I've been focusing on bumping my deadlift weight up the last couple of months, and recently switched over to a hook grip to take strain off my biceps tendons (I used to use alternate grip, switching hands each heavy rep). Yesterday I pulled 355 several times, and my body felt fine, but I had to get the bar back down in a hurry the last two times I pulled it or I would've dropped the bar.

I forgot to bring chalk to the gym, so I'll do that next deadlift day.

Here's what I think is the main issue: I gots some stumpy fingers. Big meaty palms, but short fingers for my size. This makes playing the guitar a PITA, by the way. When I hook grip the bar only my index and middle fingers make contact with my thumbs, and just barely. I squeeze the hell out of my hand, but it's still hard to hang onto the bar with an overhand hook grip.

I have great grip strength in general (former gymnast, was also a teenage boy once), but...

Chalk will help, but I really don't want to bust out the lifting straps or switch back to an alternating grip. Although I feel like I could pull 405 tomorrow if I strapped into the bar.

Just keep pulling and hope it gets better? Finger-lengthening surgery?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Well, a thinner barbell could help, but I'm guessing that's not reasonable in your lifting situation.

Can you take a photo of the hook grip and how much your middle finger overlaps your thumb? All you need is the pad of your middle finger to be on your thumbnail. A thin strip of athletic tape around your thumbnail could help, but I doubt you need it.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    It drives me absolutely bonkers when I see guys at my gym using chalk and they don't freaking wipe down the equipment afterwards. I'm guessing you are not one of these guys.

I don't have any advanced feedback for you but I have always thought that lifting straps are kinda cheating. Am I wrong?

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'd wipe the chalk off. I'll update when I do the chalk + tape combo next DL day. I'll snap a pic, also, RM.

I have lifting straps, but haven't used them in a couple of years for anything. I feel like they're cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Yeah, I'd wipe the chalk off. I'll update when I do the chalk + tape combo next DL day. I'll snap a pic, also, RM.

I have lifting straps, but haven't used them in a couple of years for anything. I feel like they're cheating.
    Hmmm I like the sound of using tape. What kind of tape is this? I might try it too. My hands are tiny. I just use gloves right now because my hands are getting so rough from calluses.

Captains of crush
    Plate pinches
    Sledgehammer walks

I see some dedicated grip training in your future...

Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    Hmmm I like the sound of using tape. What kind of tape is this? I might try it too. My hands are tiny. I just use gloves right now because my hands are getting so rough from calluses.
    Gloves make it harder to grip, and they make the effective thickness of the bar greater. Lose the gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post

Yeah, I'd say lifting straps are a last resort (if you don't plan to compete in powerlifting). If it was the only way to progress, I'd encourage you to use them, but I think you still have options without going down that path. Like dedicated grip work per not_on_the_rug's suggestion, chalk & tape & hook grip, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Gloves make it harder to grip, and they make the effective thickness of the bar greater. Lose the gloves.
    Okay. Everytime I try lifting without gloves, I feel like my palms are going to get destroyed. I have calluses just below my fingers and they hurt to the point that I can't even hold on to the BB. I have also used paper towels from the gym and wrap it around the handle of the BB or DB. This seems to work too. I know it's kind of stupid and I sound like a big complainer right now.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    Okay. Everytime I try lifting without gloves, I feel like my palms are going to get destroyed. I have calluses just below my fingers and they hurt to the point that I can't even hold on to the BB. I have also used paper towels from the gym and wrap it around the handle of the BB or DB. This seems to work too. I know it's kind of stupid and I sound like a big complainer right now.
    You may be grabbing the bar in the wrong part of your hand.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast