Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Deadlift Grip is Failing... page 4

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Gloves make it harder to grip, and they make the effective thickness of the bar greater. Lose the gloves.
    so I lifted yesterday without gloves...What the hell was I thinking. I had no problem at all with grip...little tiny hands in training.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    so I lifted yesterday without gloves...What the hell was I thinking. I had no problem at all with grip...little tiny hands in training.
    There you go!

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I pulled 162.5kg (358lbs) yesterday with the lock grip.
    I think I'll definitely try using that more and only use straps for where this grip fails.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Update:

Tweaked my technique with the hook grip over the last week (weighted pullups, etc.). Today was deadlift day, and I pulled 365 with no issues using a hook grip. Started the bar closer to my fingers, put a strip of tape around the thumbnails, and had chalk. No problem.

405, here I come!

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    I'm running into this problem myself. I could only do 345x3 today because by the 3rd rep I was pretty much holding the bar with only my fingertips and was close to dropping it. Does chalk make a big difference?

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    I'm running into this problem myself. I could only do 345x3 today because by the 3rd rep I was pretty much holding the bar with only my fingertips and was close to dropping it. Does chalk make a big difference?
    Yes, it makes it much easier to hold onto the bar. There's really no reason to not use it. If your gym owner doesn't like it, just apply it discretely, do your sets, and then wipe up everything with a towel. I keep mine in a plastic bag so it won't make a mess. If you get some chalk, you should have no problem with 345x5 next time.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

caveBEE is offline Junior Member
    My husband (grokhness monstah) and I use this: Liquid Grip - What's In Your Grip? less messy than chalk when using, but you have to give it a good wash when you're done. Lasts until you wash it off with no reapplication. Feels like the bar is welded to your hands!
    Last edited by caveBEE; 12-16-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Bacon is NOT the problem...
    check out our sometimes not so primal side at http://superfoodies.wordpress.com/

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I noticed this weekend that my grip was way more solid when I pulled 275. Usually grip is an issue for me and the worst part of a max effort for me. I was surprised when it was a non-issue.

I think things that helped me were farmer carries, it seemed like the bar was thinner and we did some banded DL's in a rack, where the band helps you get it off the ground, then less assistance at the top, so you could deal with more weight than normal at the top of the lift. Another helpful one was to do deadlifts with a snatch grip (it was really hard in a lot of ways and taxes other parts of you as well).

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234