Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Deadlift Grip is Failing... page 3

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You may be grabbing the bar in the wrong part of your hand.
    so umm yeah maybe..I'll make sure to pay attention to this next time. I don't know my nails are long so that could be the problem.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I've had the same issue and worked through it. For me I'm not interested in lifting a weight I cant hold. So its either everything is proportionately strong enough to pull it..... or its a fail. I've not changed to a hook or anything yet. I had one stall where I thought it was grip, but it resolved in a few weeks.

I personally feel that the grip is a fail when some other area of the lift is weak also. So your grip will fail if any part of that chain is susceptible to damage. I have no interest in overriding that reflex arc with wrist wraps or alternate grips (hook grip is reasonable, but I like having thumbs).

I'd say man up and work through it!

I'm hitting another mini-stall right now, but I'm gonna blame it on giving blood and just run it up like it didn't happen in my next workout

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm planning on just plowing my way through it. After doing some more reading I think my issue is technique based. I think I'm getting the bar too far up into the web of my hand, so I'll tinker with that (and chalk).

It's hard to describe, but my body feels fine at that weight--extension isn't tough, no hitches or form breaks, etc. I'll figure it out.

kansas-klx is offline Member
    Maybe one-hand dead hangs from a pullup bar would help you in the grip area. Right now all I can muster is 15 seconds for each hand. Time seems to stand still while doing these. 30 seconds is my goal, right now.

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    I definitely have to move to alternating grip when I get heavy. Hook grip used to destroy my thumbs, but I've gotten much better at it; I use it for the general lifts you would use it for, deadlift/clean/snatch.... I also have the TINIEST HANDS on the planet. So I know how OP feels. That being said, I'm also no where near the female equivalent of what he's pulling, but yeah... farmers walks, working on the hook grip, etc. I have used both the standard men's bar and women's bar and my hook grip isn't TOO affected either way.

Also Cayla, ditch the gloves. :-) The callus sucks, but you can get a great pumice stone from Walgreens and keep them much softer. Fitbomb has a great article on hand care if you'd like to google it.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dansyd View Post
    They are good but if you have the farmers handles why not use them? I have yet to find a sandbag or water bucket that weighs 100+kg
    http://www.rosstraining.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaserBD04 View Post
    I definitely have to move to alternating grip when I get heavy. Hook grip used to destroy my thumbs, but I've gotten much better at it; I use it for the general lifts you would use it for, deadlift/clean/snatch.... I also have the TINIEST HANDS on the planet. So I know how OP feels. That being said, I'm also no where near the female equivalent of what he's pulling, but yeah... farmers walks, working on the hook grip, etc. I have used both the standard men's bar and women's bar and my hook grip isn't TOO affected either way.

Also Cayla, ditch the gloves. :-) The callus sucks, but you can get a great pumice stone from Walgreens and keep them much softer. Fitbomb has a great article on hand care if you'd like to google it.
    I thought having calluses on your palms is better since the skin gets thicker.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I use sandpaper to file down my calluses; otherwise my hands hurt and sometimes they rip.

dansyd is offline Junior Member
    100+kg is 220+ pounds, as I said if you have access to the handles why not use them? They are very useful for grip strength in holding a bar in your hands. You can make a pair of handles just as cheaply
    Last edited by dansyd; 07-31-2013 at 04:19 PM.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just do this.....

T NATION | Kroc Rows 101

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast