Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Deadlift Grip is Failing... page 2

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You may be grabbing the bar in the wrong part of your hand.
    Been doing a bunch of reading on this; I'm gonna tweak my grip some more and experiment. I've seen a couple different ways. One of them has to work better.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Been doing a bunch of reading on this; I'm gonna tweak my grip some more and experiment. I've seen a couple different ways. One of them has to work better.
    I meant that comment for Cayla. 355 with no chalk DOHG is probably as much/more than I'd be able to pull. I did manage to pull 415 with a hook yesterday.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I meant that comment for Cayla.
    I know; just I'm going to experiment with some ways of holding the bar I've been reading about.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I personally use straps on my very heaviest, but use double overhand on everything up until that.
    For me, I don't want my back to be limited by my hands, so I use straps. I feel that going strapless for all but the last set or two will develop my grip as well along the way.

I do want to try out the hookgrip, and have used it in one session, but I think I need to build up a tolerance to it

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    I do want to try out the hookgrip, and have used it in one session, but I think I need to build up a tolerance to it
    I've been getting better with it, and I just have to say that the mistake I originally made was to let all the weight of the bar crush my thumb between itself and my middle finger. Now I squeeze everything tight like a car is going to drive over my fist and only the necessary amount of pressure squishes my thumb. I still have trouble doing sets of 5 with a hook, but I can pull a single with it with as much weight as I can alternate-grip. Haven't tested my hook 1RM vs. my straps 1RM though.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    You will love-hate me for this, but: rack pulls, bent-over rows and shrugs as close to deadlift weight as you can. Also: lift the heaviest weight you can and hold it as long as you can.

Good luck!
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

dansyd is offline Junior Member
    Do you have access to proper farmers walk handles? Dumbells will also work but it becomes difficult to not smash them into your legs at higher weights without the proper handles. Try them for high weight short walks as well as lowering the weight and walking a lot further to really build your grip endurance. If you have never done farmers before I recommend using about 1/4 your deadlift weight in each hand to start.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dansyd View Post
    Do you have access to proper farmers walk handles? Dumbells will also work but it becomes difficult to not smash them into your legs at higher weights without the proper handles. Try them for high weight short walks as well as lowering the weight and walking a lot further to really build your grip endurance. If you have never done farmers before I recommend using about 1/4 your deadlift weight in each hand to start.
    You mean sandbags and buckets of water? They're good too.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

dansyd is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    You mean sandbags and buckets of water? They're good too.
    They are good but if you have the farmers handles why not use them? I have yet to find a sandbag or water bucket that weighs 100+kg

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use the hook grip for power cleans. If I tried it for deadlifts, my thumbs would probably fall off . I generally use a DOH grip for all my sets except the last two, where I'll use a mixed grip. In my opinion, if you warmup the bicep of your supinated arm, you shouldn't have to worry about injuring it. Just make sure to do at least 1-2 lighter sets with a mixed grip before going for a new max. That's just my experience with it, though.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast