Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your max heart rate? page

adam204 is offline Member

Your max heart rate?

Primal Fuel
    I went for a run tonight aiming for a steady aerobic workout. Anyway I. Had the urge to try and measure my max heart rate. Towards the end of my run I sprinted as hard as I could for about 60 to 70 metres and as soon as I stopped counted my heart beats in ten sexonds then multiplied by 6. Max heart rate of 204 give or take a beat or two! Seems a little high if you go by the 220 minus age thing in marks book. I'm 33 and reasonably fit. Ran 2 half marathons last year. Should I be worried or is that ok?
    Adam

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    220 minus your age is a rule of thumb for all humans... so there's a pretty big curve on that.

There is nothing to be worried about at all.

Before I had heart damage from an antibiotic and had to go on beta blockers, I had a very high average heart rate over half-marathons (I wore a monitor). I looked into it because a friend was very worried, and it means nothing. Again, the normal curve is pretty big.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

snoops is offline Senior Member
    In my 30's doing step aerobics where we tested heart rate several times a class(usually after a particularly hard part) I was regularly over 200 and was in really good shape fitness wise. If you didn't feel like you were going to pass out I just think you are an outlier for that formula.

adam204 is offline Member
    No I didn't feel like passing out, sick more like!!! I guess I just felt that clicking above 200 was a bit dodgy. Was expecting around 180 to 190 I guess. Thanks for your replies.

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    I did a bike ride with a monitor, and my max was around 202 bpm. I don't think it's necessarily a problem. At least I haven't had any issues with it.

bemental is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snoops View Post
    In my 30's doing step aerobics where we tested heart rate several times a class(usually after a particularly hard part) I was regularly over 200 and was in really good shape fitness wise. If you didn't feel like you were going to pass out I just think you are an outlier for that formula.
    Be careful with that talk of passing out, my buddy went down to officer training and told them he gets dizzy some times after working out and they sent him home to get his heart tested!

He was upset because he yelled at the doctors and told them that "if you don't get dizzy when you're working out you're doing it wrong!".

Quote Originally Posted by adam204 View Post
    No I didn't feel like passing out, sick more like!!! I guess I just felt that clicking above 200 was a bit dodgy. Was expecting around 180 to 190 I guess. Thanks for your replies.
    What's the deal here: Are the forums being invaded by the Brits or is it just a fad to add 'ou' and use British words like 'dodgy' nowadays?

peril is offline Senior Member
    I'm 54 and recently clocked 181 during a stress test. Cardiologist was pleased that I could get it higher than the prediction.

BTW, 220-age is a rough estimate only. There are more accurate formulae but they are all just estimates based on population averages
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Choleslo is offline Junior Member
    heart rate is too high around 180 beats per minute

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Choleslo View Post
    heart rate is too high around 180 beats per minute
    Go on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast