Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What makes Deadlifts so fatiguing? page

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

What makes Deadlifts so fatiguing?

Shop Now
    We did deadlifts yesterday and I was shocked by how wiped out I was upon completion. Just utterly exhausted in a way that no other activity tired me out. Much worse than squat day, worse than a Met-Con, and worse than distance running or even sprints. Just full on exhaust.

Yesterday was a particularly hard day- about 6 or 7 sets of 3 reps with weights from 95 to 215 (working our way up to a 3 rep max). But anytime we do deadlifts as the main focus it just wipes me out.

So what gives? What is it that makes these so taxing?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Much greater tax on the CNS

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Oh, lol, hoping that is beneficial because I am still exhausted.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I use a trap bar when I deadlift. Yeah it's exhausting. Right now I can only load 70 lbs on it but I can full squat more than what I can deadlift.

Not to hijack the thread but how much does the the trap bar weigh? I'm thinking like 20lbs?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    I use a trap bar when I deadlift. Yeah it's exhausting. Right now I can only load 70 lbs on it but I can full squat more than what I can deadlift.

Not to hijack the thread but how much does the the trap bar weigh? I'm thinking like 20lbs?
    They're all different. Get on the scale without it, then with it, and subtract yourself.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    They're all different. Get on the scale without it, then with it, and subtract yourself.
    lol...ok good idea. I will do that today when I go to the gym

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Exercises that hits lower back hard with a heavy load and few reps taxes CNS hard and need more recovery. People with long femurs and a relative short torso can get the same drained feeling also from squatting...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The deadlift is more tiring because you are lifting it from a dead stop. There is no stored kinetic energy in the barbell just sitting there on the floor. Other lifts have stored kinetic energy, usually in your tendons or in the stretch reflex, that helps you generate momentum.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Bent over dumbbell rows, rest-pause style, is from the dead stop also, but they are usually far less taxing than deadlifts. Many dead lifters also uses the floor to bounce the weight, instead of resetting it, so it is often only the first rep that goes from the dead position. The reason is taxing of CNS and that lower back muscle fibers uses longer time to recover than other body parts...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 07-30-2013 at 04:05 PM.
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Oh, lol, hoping that is beneficial because I am still exhausted.
    Oh, it is! And its the main reason I go heavy. Working in the Power range requires a lot of your nervous system. Neurological adaptation is applicable to all areas of life, health, and transfers directly to strength.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast