Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What makes Deadlifts so fatiguing? page 2

bemental is offline Member
    Weak CNS = eat more brains.

SF_Sorrow is offline Junior Member
    I like to do my deadlifts early in my workout as I find it really raises the pulse rate/makes me sweat, which carries over well into my session.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    You should really ask why it is NOT fatiguing!

From Wiki:
    The deadlift is a compound movement that works a variety of muscles groups:

The grip strength (finger flexors) and the lower back (erector spinae) work isometrically to keep the bar held in the hands and to keep the spine from rounding.
    The gluteus maximus and hamstrings work to extend the hip joint.
    The quadriceps work to extend the knee joint.
    The adductor magnus works to stabilize the legs.

The deadlift activates a large number of individual muscles:
    Rectus abdominis (under aponeurosis)
    Abdominal external oblique muscle
    Abdominal internal oblique muscle
    Iliocostalis
    Intertransversarii laterales lumborum
    Latissimus dorsi
    Levator scapulae
    Longissimus
    Quadratus lumborum
    Rhomboideus major
    Serratus posterior superior
    Serratus posterior inferior
    Splenius cervicis
    Teres Major
    Trapezius muscle
    Quadriceps
    Rectus femoris
    Vastus lateralis
    Vastus intermedius
    Vastus medialis
    Biceps femoris muscle
    long head
    short head
    Semitendinosus
    Semimembranosus
    Gluteal muscles
    Gluteus maximus
    Gluteus minimus
    Piriformis
    Superior gemellus
    Flexor digitorum profundus
    Few but ripe.

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    I always wondered the same. Squats do the same for me as well. If I start with dead lifts or squats my bench press sucks, I feel so tired to complete them. If I start with the bench and end with dead lifts my dead lifts don't suffer. I guess now I know why.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I switched program, and it calls for SLDL instead of DLs. I do not get the exhaustion, so I am planning to follow the SLDL with 1 heavy DL next time. I often experience this feeling that the body just falls off the bones after doing DLs.

I always wondered the same. Squats do the same for me as well. If I start with dead lifts or squats my bench press sucks, I feel so tired to complete them. If I start with the bench and end with dead lifts my dead lifts don't suffer. I guess now I know why.
    It is actually one of the recommendations to do the upper body lifts first if SQTs waste your shoulders. DLs are always recommended as the last of the big compounds. Some programs put SQTs and DL on the same day, but it might actually be more beneficial to just pick one!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I definitely think it would be better to give deadlifts their own day. Last time I did them it was after squats and I hurt my back because I didn't realize how wasted I was and lost form half-way through lifting the barbell and my back just came apart, or that's how it felt. Now I have crippling sciatica that isn't going away and only getting worse. If I ever do deadlifts again I will never do them the same day I do squats.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    That's horrible!! Sciatica is the worst, I had it in all my pregnancies, and dh suffers from it all year long. Maybe you can look into getting a good cracking done. (chiropractor) It certainly helps dh and lots of pregnant women.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Oh, craps, sorry to hear that sbhikes, I know you were speaking of troubles with DLs, but I did not realize it was chronic.

FWIW, from time to time I left out DL and came to do it separately next day. It usually improved both workouts.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jackaaron is offline Member
    For me, DLs are so difficult that I occasionally skip them during a week. When I first started, I thought I would just do the same amount of weight as I did for squats...dumb. Anyhow, I've since dramatically reduced weight and focused as hard as I possibly can on keeping a strait back, and my shoulders back. If that's even less weight, that's fine by me.

Obviously form is key for any exercise, but being out of form for this one is really bad for me. Also, before I do an actual DL, I practice the form like 2-3 times, and I practice it between each set. It's almost like a golf swing that you want to make sure you get right lol.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaaron View Post
    For me, DLs are so difficult that I occasionally skip them during a week. When I first started, I thought I would just do the same amount of weight as I did for squats...dumb.
    Yeah, I deadlift nearly 100 pounds more than I squat. The same weight isn't enough for most people (equipped powerlifters notwithstanding).

Anyhow, I've since dramatically reduced weight and focused as hard as I possibly can on keeping a strait back, and my shoulders back. If that's even less weight, that's fine by me.
    Oh. Are you squatting high? You shouldn't probably do that.

Regardless, if you gotta drop weight to work on form, drop weight and work on form. Getting hurt is not progress.

Obviously form is key for any exercise, but being out of form for this one is really bad for me. Also, before I do an actual DL, I practice the form like 2-3 times, and I practice it between each set. It's almost like a golf swing that you want to make sure you get right lol.
    Form is the key, but practicing the form without weight won't necessarily carry over to lifting something that's truly heavy for you. You just gotta find a point where you can lift so much weight safely and progress from there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast