Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help regarding Rice page 3

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady D View Post
    I tried some basmati a while ago and it looked like ordinary long-grain white to me... I'm nobody's idea of a gourmet though!

I think it's less starchy in terms of how it cooks, less chance of the grains being slightly stuck together? That's about it.
    You can rinse the rice until the water is clear to get rid of the extra starch. I'm Asian so this is how my family has always prepared it. I don't own a rice cooker either. Certain rice requires more water than others. Typically long grain white rice is 1 to 1 ratio. A lot of people find it tricky to cook rice especially if it's not something they grew up eating. Cover the pot and let it boil then just simmer it until the water is gone. Do not stir it.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    When I do have white rice, I like to rinse it and then let it soak for a little while. Makes it nice and sticky.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    Wild rice for me! Native americans thrived on it, along with corn. Good enough for me.
    I adore wild rice and actually have access to truly wild, hand harvested rice that is free and amazing! But my guts just hate it! It's so annoying!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I adore wild rice and actually have access to truly wild, hand harvested rice that is free and amazing! But my guts just hate it! It's so annoying!!
    One of my favorite meals has become 1lb of grilled salmon with a mountain of wild rice after a 2 hour Krav session. Embracing my Native roots! LOL.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Rice is so versatile. I cook it in bone broth and salt because my daughter loves rice. Leftover rice is great for fried rice.. which you can add whatever you feel like to make a meal. Usually we add eggs or curd or seaweed or leftover meats/veggies + spices like turmeric, coriander, etc.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    You can rinse the rice until the water is clear to get rid of the extra starch. I'm Asian so this is how my family has always prepared it. I don't own a rice cooker either. Certain rice requires more water than others. Typically long grain white rice is 1 to 1 ratio. A lot of people find it tricky to cook rice especially if it's not something they grew up eating. Cover the pot and let it boil then just simmer it until the water is gone. Do not stir it.

I have found that long grain rice (basmati) requires almost 2:1 water to to rice ratio and short-grain rice (jasmine) is 1:1 or 1.25:1. I saw on the sack of rice that I bought that the quantity of water needed varies according to the month.

Thanks for the tip on rinsing the rice to get rid of starch!

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I think I'm making some sticky rice tomorrow now.

w0gwnth is offline Member
    please read/skim this article for your health

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...food/index.htm

organic supposedly does NOT help to reduce arsenic levels

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

rollojathan is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Rice is a good source of carbs it is comparable to bread and combines well with any viand.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast