Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would convincing research turn you away from paleo? page

Yanwoo is offline Junior Member

Would convincing research turn you away from paleo?

Shop Now
    Hypothetical. If a bunch of research came out that convinced you that by eating paleo there was some increase in risk for long term health issues (heart disease, cancer etc.) - would you change how you ate? Or would you consider that the short term benefits are worth the risk?

(For argument sake, say the research indicates a 20% to 30% increase in relative risk)

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Second provocative poster in two days.

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    Question does not compute.

Paleo is about eating real foods, not processed frankenfoods. People can choose to be paleo vegan/vegetarian, paleo keto, paleo 'any eating style' that uses real foods.. There's no chance real foods being bad for us.

Unless... aliens

momrn is offline Member
    If the choice is live a pain-free short life or a long yet miserable one, I'll take the first.

The end result of any diet you choose to follow is the same.

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    IMO, a big part of being healthier is living at a proper weight. For me, carrying around 25-30 fewer pounds (following the primal way) is MUCH healthier! There's a lot less stress on my body, joints, mind, and physiological systems in general. I think, feel, and live so much better now that any research would have to reveal an oddly obvious piece of information and fact in order to convince me to go back to SAD.
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Paleo and Primal also update themselves to match good science. If good science ever existed and common sense could be overthrown by it. You'd need many centuries and many dedicated human populations just to prove ONE chronic, generational or nutritional thing about the human body. But instead we have a history of who was healthy, and what they ate. It's just not complicated enough to poke holes in.

As for another angle to answer your question, yes - I'd rather drop dead at 75 and feel great until then. I would call that a good life. Would I take obesity and pain back? Never. The powers that be can suck it. If they use their government powers try to force us to eat toxic GMO corn and soy slurry against our will, you'll find me in the forest hiding like an animal. Hint - they kind of did, and I kind of am.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 07-30-2013 at 05:07 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    The argument assumes that risk is a yes/no dichotomy: you can pick whether or not to have riskadn risks are delivered in neat chunks. But that's not how it works. You are delivered a set of risks by circumstance and then you layer other risks by choice. That is why some people here are on a high fat diet, others on a high carb diet... Because of this kind of individual response that has to be made.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Kind of a silly hypothetical. BUT.... here we go.

Maybe in some twilightzone episode it could happen. ..... but then it would be because we went back 200,000 years and somebody passed on the knowledge of how to make pop tarts, and today we are all genetically geared for pop tart consumption. I don't know if 200,000 years is long enough to adapt to such toxins, but it is an episode of the twilight zone so we don't need to be 100% scientifically accurate. So now we fast forward to the present where real food is toxic and toxic food is healthy! Dum dum duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! And all paleo eaters are dropping dead cause they won't just give in and eat that damn pop tart..... quid pro quo.... What do you do?!?!!? Of course this does beg the question of how the paleo movement that is killing everyone got started in the first place. Do we just switch it out with the junk food? Commercials indoctrinating the young to eat grass fed beef, fruits and vegetables even to the detriment of the population at large? Vending machines that produce cheap real food in tasty little single serving sizes .... I dunno like a piece of fruit!!! Madness I say...... Simply Maddness!!!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Why the hell do people think not eating bread and canola oil will kill them
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    I think it is more that they think not eating bread and canola oil will make them less happy.
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast