Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would convincing research turn you away from paleo? page 2

Yanwoo is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks for all the replies, some v interesting thoughts here.

The reason I asked is because I don't really have a strong view on the longer term health consequences of paleo; I haven't dedicated enough time or effort for me to have a well researched or credible opinion. I do see credible people arguing for and against it. I've read my fair share of research around it (I'm a masters student so comfortable reviewing and critiquing papers - but this is not my field). My conclusion at this time is we don't really know. Like most things, I suspect in the future we'll look back and see how limited our understanding was...

I accept that there is a chance that my brand of paleo *may* have some longer term health risks but I'm willing to take the risk because eating this way has mitigated some very long standing digestive issues. No other approach has done that, in fact most have made it worse.

Ignoring all the flaws in current research, even if I was to take their findings as 'fact', the actual risk difference is often quite small. The relative risk numbers get all the headlines... I don't know about you but my risk isn't relative!

Yanwoo is offline Junior Member
    Thanks especially Finnegans Wake for your comprehensive response

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    What really just outrages me, and my business is medical research, is papers that are published with findings, but the confidence interval crosses the zero. So the statistical evaluation is that the general population might be like the study group, but it is also entirely possible that they are the exact opposite. How can this be published as if there is a finding?????

And then it will be in the New York Times as a "groundbreaking" study when really the study result is that there is no result. OMG it just kills me. Kills. Me.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I would eat anything that made me feel fantastic regardless of what "research" says. All that matters is how I feel, and so far crappy food isn't the winner, so there's only one alternative...
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    cocaine?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanwoo View Post
    Hypothetical. If a bunch of research came out that convinced you that by eating paleo there was some increase in risk for long term health issues (heart disease, cancer etc.) - would you change how you ate? Or would you consider that the short term benefits are worth the risk?

(For argument sake, say the research indicates a 20% to 30% increase in relative risk)
    I eat paleo/primal BECAUSE of the research, to some degree. I'd never let research overtake my own n=1, except for long-term variables I can't quantify. But when primal reduces my pain, inflammation, brain fog, hormonal imbalances and, oh yeah, my weight, AND increases my strength and energy, I'm fairly certain I'm in alignment with physically healthy practices. Everything we know RIGHT NOW tells me that whole food is best, and wheat hurts my stomach. a lot.

Our sensory guides, when presented with REAL FOOD (meaning it grew the way it was meant to, ie, pastured eggs & butter, etc), communicate w/us. That's what I try to listen to the most.

I think our satiety signals are messed up by nutrient depleted soils, and the massive pollution of our food, water and environment. Engineered food addictions, aka junk food, also screws things up. As do fad diets that tell you to ignore how awful you feel.

L0kI is offline Senior Member
    Seems so counterintuitive that everything we love and gravitate towards (read:BACON) would be disadvantageous... And that things that make us feel better are bad (except for drugs, drugs are bad........)
    It feels like we're trying to make life more complicated by trying to out-maneuver nature... "Ohai Mother Nature, what's that? Eat real food? I'm on to you Mother Nature! Reduced fat, sugar free slurry for me! Take that!!"<hobbles away aching and farting>

Nion is offline Senior Member
    I would first see how the study was conducted. Then wait and see if there are other STRONGLY correlated studies. One set of data doesn't mean much unless it's in context.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    OP: If what you're wanting is a science backed diet, the Perfect Health Diet springs to mind....

It has a scientific justification for everything.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Keep wondering about long term health and soon we will be dead.
    Few but ripe.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast