Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Peat Eating Plan Weight Loss? page

Slinkykitty is offline Member

Ray Peat Eating Plan Weight Loss?

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone.

After reading a few threads here regarding Ray Peat, I was wondering if any of those who eat based on his recommendations have lost weight?

I know he is all about restoring health, balancing hormones etc, but the very last thing I want to do is gain weight. I have already gained weight and want to lose about 5-10kg.

Wondering if anyone has successfully lost weight eating the "Peat" way.

Many thanks in advance for any information.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    From everything I've read, it's a mixed bag. Ive read of people:

- gaining weight, then losing it immediately.
    - experiencing appetite suppression, and losing weight
    - losing weight without really trying

My personal experience: I gained a lot of weight when I went low carb (not from the diet, but from the affect it had on my mind, body, appetite, and cravings). I went from 19% bf to 23%.

I've been gradually implementing RP for the last seven months, but only really embraced it at the end of June. (Eating fish is my only deviation). Initially I stayed the same weight eating 2-3K cals a day, but what changed was that my energy levels began to be consistent. Before last month I only had the energy to exercise intensely once a week. Now I'm doing something vigorous 5-6 days a week! So my body fat stayed the same, but I started putting on muscle.

Then a week ago, I realised I was eating habitually and I consciously started to eat less. I cut to 1.8K - 2K and... it's hard to say for certain what's happening, but in just a week I lost nearly an inch off my hips, and my clothes are fitting me better. I've experienced no loss in performance in exercise, and my new muscles are looking "full", yet more defined

In the past it took an extreme calorie deficit to make me lose anything (water weight or fat), and with that I would lose sleep, energy, and muscle, unlike now. Maybe this is due to the exercise, but I credit the diet with giving me the energy to work out. And I don't know if it's the diet or the exercise, but I'm not as hungry as I used to be, and when I do feel hungry, it doesn't gnaw at me. I can ignore it easily.

I basically eat:

dairy (yellow cheese / cottage cheese) twice a day
    eggs / meat / fish once a day
    fruit with every meal
    3 - 4 coffees a day, some of them with gelatine
    on average 2 teaspoons of sugar
    1-2 litres of coconut water a day (not RP, but it's my personal godsend)

In general my protein is high, my carbs are high, and fat is below 40gs. A few times I I havent eaten any carbs in a day (just stocked up on meat and fat) and sometimes I might have a lot of refined sugar (like 10 tea spoons). I just listen to what my body wants on any given day. I've genuinely never felt better for such an extended period of time.

I also implement some of his supplementation suggestions, but they're not related to weight loss so I won't go into them here.

I'm interested to hear other people's experiences!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-30-2013 at 03:13 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    You'll lose weight, problem is, many people don't follow it properly, or overeat. It isn't about a 24/7 sugar fest, you have to keep your protein high to support thyroid, or respond to thyroid hormone, and do the various intricacies involved like aspirin, vitamin e, obtaining a lot of protein through gelatin, even red light therapy -- and avoiding the various allergens people don't pay attention to that cause stressed digestive systems and weight gain in the first place. Gums, added pectin, etc; Absolutely avoid PUFA, but this is a given. Each case is individual, and for that, tweaks and additions need to be made in order to get results. And, like everything healthy, it takes time to lose weight since it isn't about starving yourself like ketosis.

If you're gaining weight just eating carbs, that's a sign of insulin resistance. Easiest way to lose weight is to focus on fruit and fruit juices(orange juice increases insulin sensitivity) and lowfat dairy sources(cottage cheese is probably the best here) with oysters, eggs, gelatin, and lattes with sugar and a dab of coconut oil in there. Keeping fat low will cut out a lot of unnecessary calories itself, so it's not too hard. Protein will help keep you full.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 07-30-2013 at 05:53 AM.
    nihil

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    You'll lose weight, problem is, many people don't follow it properly, or overeat. It isn't about a 24/7 sugar fest......
    Ray promised me sugar and eternal life!!!! Screw this... if its not a sugar orgy with a side of immortality I'm just gonna eat some bacon.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    My experience approximately a month into it:

I am experiencing appetite suppression, even more so over the first two weeks. I was eating 1000 or so calories only, now it has evened out to more reasonable 1400-500.
    I'm finding fruit definitely more satisfying than fat (more bulk?). Gelatine feels very filling too.
    IFing still comes natural to me.
    As to weight loss, I'm nor really measuring or weighing myself, but definitely feel smaller and seem to have more muscle definition.
    Personally, I believe reducing ....ahem..dietary fat and most importantly avoiding the polyunsaturated one is what makes me lose weight and feel my best.

There are many factors to consider though, such as intensity level of exercise - mine is somewhat heavy, and what your diet was before implementing Peat. Mine was still high-ish in carbs, the Perfect Health Diet like.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Well looky here, Ray Peat is infiltrating the Primal network

Haven't lost weight, but I have stayed exactly the same despite glugging 4 pints of whole milk, a litre of OJ, fruit and full fat cheese plus much more every day. Then again I'm an active 27 y/o male.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    ...added pectin....
    What do you do about the pectin in OJ?

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    You can lose weight on any protocol so long as you create a deficit. Different foods and hormones and digestion all affect this, but a good place to start is keeping track of your portions and calories. When I eat in a mostly Peat fashion, I easily create a deficit through intermittent fasting, exercise, AND tracking my calories.

The ones who I have noticed who complain about gaining weight tend to be the ones who believe they can eat as much as they want of everything Peat recommends. I have observed that they go to extremes with ice cream consumption, milk, orange juice, etc. These are all easy to over-consume and it's not because of his food recommendations, it's because the quantities are just too much. This can happen with any protocol, including Primal/Paleo foods. So my advice is to NOT eat freely if you are looking to reduce. Track portions and calories. Yes, his advice is geared towards balancing hormones, but that does not mean eat as much as you want without consequence. Be reasonable and mindful and his food recommendations can be a very healthful way of getting nutrition and working towards optimum health and hormonal balance.

Despite what some people may interpret Ray Peat's writing as, it is NOT a sugar and fruit and milk free-for-all. I don't believe he would ever recommend someone eat recklessly, especially those who are overweight.
    Last edited by j3nn; 07-30-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Is there a good link about cheese helping to heal? Most other healing protocols exclude dairy, so I am wondering why dairy is such a big item for Peat.

Right now the only raw milk product for me will be full fat cheese. YB, do you eat full fat or skim cheese?

Peat is macro-agnostic, right, as long as you do not eat PUFA?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Peat is a fan of dairy because it's so nutrient-dense and complements the nutrients in his other recommendations (cheese + orange juice, etc.). It has healthy saturated fats, very low in PUFA, and a great source of calcium and vitamin A and k2 and protein. He is a fan of it because it can be economical. Peat bases his recommendations on things most people can afford, so that's why his recommendations are so simple: oranges, gelatin, canned oysters, etc. Even coffee is very high in potassium if you have several cups a day; his recommendations are rooted in the benefits they carry, they aren't random.

And yes, he is pretty macro-agnostic but he does recommend getting at least 100g protein a day.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Is there a good link about cheese helping to heal? Most other healing protocols exclude dairy, so I am wondering why dairy is such a big item for Peat.

Right now the only raw milk product for me will be full fat cheese. YB, do you eat full fat or skim cheese?
    Peat does recommend a mostly low fat diet, so I avoid the high fat cheeses. WHich is fine, cos' my favourites are Gouda and Edam! Cottage cheese is awesome too. I don't have the money or the time to buy / seek out raw cheeses.

What J3nn said about Peat and cheese, but also as an N=1: Zach was experimenting with mono-meals for a while, and it sounded interesting so I gave it a go. If I eat a meal of just cheese, I feel amazing. It gives me great, steady energy. Zach has the same experience.

I dont do so well on milk though.

From one of Peat's articles:

I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-30-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast