Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Peat Eating Plan Weight Loss? page 34

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Dude... I was so going Peat... buying and ice cream maker and everything! But no pepper and no pineapple! Pfft I'm out.... what kinda fruit lover disses on pineapple for the love of.... Peat? Bwahahahah. I mean of all fruits though... fresh pineapple is definitely in my top 3.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I started to question what hunger was, and now I'm sure that excessive, desperate hunger is not a desire for quantities of food: it's almost like a sign that your body isn't utilising its resources properly.
    Gnoll has an absolutely wonderful 7 part article on the nature of hunger and parts of it are about hunger induced by lack of nutrients or a certain food. It is extremely interesting read if you have the time and have not seen it yet.

satiation vs. satiety - GNOLLS.ORG
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Dude... I was so going Peat... buying and ice cream maker and everything! But no pepper and no pineapple! Pfft I'm out.... what kinda fruit lover disses on pineapple for the love of.... Peat? Bwahahahah. I mean of all fruits though... fresh pineapple is definitely in my top 3.
    Meh i havnt had a good pineapple in a long time. Its incredibly hard to find ripe pineapples that wernt picked way to early. Just like bananas they become allergenic for me if unripe/picked early.

I would love to live in a tropical climate and eat fruits ripe off the tree.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Meh i havnt had a good pineapple in a long time. Its incredibly hard to find ripe pineapples that wernt picked way to early. Just like bananas they become allergenic for me if unripe/picked early.

We hit some tropical places for our honeymoon and I basically ate a whole pineapple with my breakfast everyday.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Gnoll has an absolutely wonderful 7 part article on the nature of hunger and parts of it are about hunger induced by lack of nutrients or a certain food. It is extremely interesting read if you have the time and have not seen it yet.

Great link, Leida. I'm reading through it now. It reminds me of what that hypnotist who helps people lose weight--can't remember his name--anyway, one of his tricks was to chew each bite of food 26 times and set down your knife and fork in between bites. That trick actually worked for me at one point, but it's so hard to keep it up. My instinct is to wolf down my food. I must have been a dog in my past life.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member

That linked part about water and density if calories completely explains the calorie counting benefits of primal/meat versus stuff like pasta and rice cakes that I have been noticing!!!

"Rice cakes are a denser source if calories than prime rib" !!!!

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I went to Honduras at 13 and ate a mango off a tree and it was amazing. Probably years later I bought one at the store and thought it was much sweeter/ looked different than I remembered and was disappointed. Watching a cooking show a few years back I realized it ( tge one i pulled off a tree) was green, and so tarter and firmer and that some Asian cultures eat them that way but they are never like that in the stores here....

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaLeaf View Post
    No, I haven't had any blood work done lately. A couple of years ago my blood work showed my ferritin level to be a little bit low, but I haven't had it checked since then. I also test my vitamin d level every 6 months and manage to keep it in an optimal range. That's about it. I wouldn't say that I am suffering from very serious fatigue. I just wish that I had more energy and motivation. The kind of energy that I get when I drink a lot of caffeine In fact, eating primally for the last couple of years has helped somewhat, but I'm not entirely happy with my digestion, my weight (carrying about an extra 20lbs) and feel like my energy could be higher. I also love working out and want to be fit and strong, but the progress is slow.

The mono meal idea is interesting. I will definitely give that a try. Thanks!
    You'll get there! It's great that you're open to self experimentation. I'm a firm believer that we're all unique and you need to find the way that's right for you. Not just do something because some study told you to

Let me know how the mono /duo meals go! I rarely eat anything with more than two ingredients now...

Thank you! I'll check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    We hit some tropical places for our honeymoon and I basically ate a whole pineapple with my breakfast everyday.
    India. Just before monsoon. Golden coloured mangoes that we saw falling from the tree...

On an unrelated note, while I was in India, I learned how to eat a mango. I'd been doing it wrong all these years Here's a little demonstration, in case any of your Westerners also don't know

I just love the music
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Baby mangos are the best IMO, and here at the coast of Ecuador we eat them around Christmas time. We also eat immature mangos with salt year round! My favorite fruit is baby Papayas and I use to put a large piece on my plate of "assistant foods" = primal carbs...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    YB, I am glad to hear that the dairy+fruit helps fertility. I am off the BCP, and my natural period is not in a hurry to show up. I've gained again, but I think I was overdoing meat and still had nuts last week.

But I can't believe what I put in this week with still managing to recover: 4 lifting sessions, 1 boxing, 1 elliptical hiit, 1 outdoor run+ swim (30 +15 min) and a hap-ki-do class. This week I am starting 2 aikido classes in addition to hap-ki-do, so energy is vital Obviously not sure how the heck I ended up gaining, but it's all about eating too much for me. Trying not to be depressed.

Down with nuts this week & try to do more fermented dairy - straight milk is no good. Got kefir grains for milk kefir and just about have enough kefir to start making quark now (or drink kefir). Water kefit is just awesome! Gelatin doesn't seem to do anything for me, still mainly depend on glucomannan for hunger suppression.
    Heya, my kiddo is almost 7, I cook for everyone, I work normal hours in the office but commute, and I am after everyone's wet dream - most muscle with least fat and I really want to see deltoid pop when the arm is not flexed (while my hips and waistline are under control). I do Lyle McDonald's strict UB-LB split lifting protocol atm after years of strength training & trying a bunch of nutritional things, like Aanabolic Diet, CKD, Ultimate Diet 2.0, VLC.... Lyle advises cardio for women to avoid fat gain, so I do whatever forms of cardio that makes me happy as well.

I started hap-ki-do in June, not sure if I will continue in the fall. Seeing how pathetic I am at it, it is not an intense workout. To be honest, I doubt I can reach and maintain puking intensities at anything because of my age and general lack of athletic talent.

Gained = fat gain as per WW scale. It maybe inaccurate, but it's the same baseline I used for many years & for me fat gain on that scale = bigger inches in wrong places. Mirror imo beats all those body comp things, because if you don't like what you see who cares what the BF% is exactly. I carry maybe 25-30% now (scale says ~22-23%), after I could not survive at around 20-25% (scale said 15-20%).

Erm, yeah, that's all over the place, but in a nutshell, I don't think I am over-training (due to lower intensity and being at my athletic ceiling for a while).
    Damn I'm always late to a good thread.

Anyway there's something I think you've overlooked leida (wich is ok, most people over look it too) here it is:

Recovery =/= Adaptation

again recovery is not equal to adaptation

Recovery is old muscle getting back to its optimal (100%) state. After a significant stress a muscle loses capacity due to loss of glycogen, build up of wastes, micro-tears repairing, replenishing minerals, etc etc. The recovery action then happens quickly as we have evolutionarily needed to be back to 100% quickly, in case we need to face another survival challenge.

Adaptation is the building of new muscle. After a significant stress our bodies build extra capacity (105%) so that we may survive an event better next time (or the event might be more of a threat to our survival and we need better capacity). This process is not the same as the recovery process, it can start at the same time but it usually takes alot longer to finish. If this adaptation response is interrupted by another stressful event, adaptation is stopped so that recovery may happen quickly again (survival and all that) wich we will start adapting to the NEW stress and forget about adapting to the old stress, cycle repeats.

When people go to the gym, lift or sprint/run they usually want to do it so they can get better at doing it, ie get stronger, fitter, look good naked, etc etc. What gets often forgotten is that the recovery process has nothing to do with this. remember recovery gets you back to being the same as you where, ie just as skinny, just as unfit, or just as ugly as we already were. Where the magic happens is when we focus on adaptation, adaptation makes us stronger, fitter, more beautiful, etc etc. adaptation is a relatively uknown beast, no scientists really knows the time frames and processes involved (as will be attested by the old dogs of the PB fitness forums asking for citations), so it a knida N=1 thing. What i do know tho, is it won't be the same as recovery for anybody and also you won't be tuned into it anywhere near as much as you need to be. My experience is I usually need to allow TWICE my recovery time or a little longer to allow for adaptation to happen. So If I lift big and feel 100% after 2 days (i could lift the same weight again) then I wait a further 2 days and add another day for a total of 5 days before my adaptation process has finished.

So to finish off, you might be doing stuff all week and be reasonably happy because you are recovering, in effect you are doing stuff all for your strength and fitness. I have suggested many times people get more rest, many times they reply "my recovery is fine", yes it is, yes it is, but your adaptation gains are shithouse.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast