Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Peat Eating Plan Weight Loss? page 33

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Screw it. I'm making pineapple guac. But seriously, I love pineapple and refuse to avoid it. I also use black pepper and eat bananas and a whole bunch of things Peat says are "bad." LOL. No. I'm still in the club?
    Okay - but for your penance you must tie yourself to the sugar stake and eat burning candy floss. That should undo the damage from the black pepper..

Speaking of black pepper - I had a look at the spices that Peat approves of, I'll try and did up the info.

Quote Originally Posted by lea View Post
    Very interesting. Question, when you were eating five bananas a day plus rice- were you considering that to be primal or peat or some sort of in between space?

I definitely agree that people need different thing- the thing about women craving sweets is interesting. I'm glad you are finding something that is working for you! I also agree about the iron. I would need some major evidence to be convinced that women who are fertile need to purposefully avoid iron.
    Honestly, I didn't label myself anything. I spent so long being judged for being vegetarian that I was loathe to put a name on any diet I was on again. I was reading Peat but not implementing - just eating high carb and avoiding gluten and seed oils. I was really just trying to find what worked for me, cos' no other diet I was on seemed to do what it was supposed to (give me energy to live).

Yeah, I'm so glad that this conversation about iron came up, because a few weeks ago I noted in my journal that I was losing some hair, and a few days ago I had a pretty big shed. And I've always had difficulty with my period - when I was vegetarian I rarely got it, but people always presumed it was cos I was underweight. Then I started taking iron sups, and it came back immediately. I thought this was the cause of my problems, but then found out that I have oestrogen dominance and fertility issues, so forgot about the iron. But I guess both are important. It's hard to remember everything!

Thanks for the well wishes It's pretty amazing to finally find something that finally makes me feel good...

And I partially agree about kids. I think it's great to watch how children eat because they just eat when they're hungry, they are picky....but my nephew would eat nothing but French fries if you let him so I think there is a limit also I think I might have eaten straight butter as a kid and I put powdered sugar in ice cream!
    The French fries might be the desire for salt and fat! This is gross, but when I was a kid I would sneak into the butter dish and eat a tea spoon..! But I hated unsalted butter, so I think it was the salt-fat I wanted, not just the fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Kids are driven by wants a lot, but those wants are influenced by what's available. My daughter has unpredictable tastes, except they do include a strong preference for sweet. Fruit, if there is no artificial candy or (gluten free, lol) baked goodies. But she also gets excited every time she can eat a burger. I am not sure if it is because that doesn't happen more than a few times a year, or because she likes bread that she never gets. Once in a while she would put away huge quantities of proteins, like a roast chicken or a steak. She generally loves veggies but not sweet potatoes or bell peppers. Dunno, maybe it's a wise way to eat
    Sounds like your daughter has a pretty refined palette for a kid! Most of us couldn't eat veggies. The first time I ate spinach I puked.! I was the worst eater... wouldn't touch anything, and then would go straight for the sweet cabinet.]

Also, very weirdly, even as a child I loved coffee! I wasn't allowed to drink it obviously, but my minder used to give me a few granuels of instant coffee in hot water with milk and sugar and I thought it was the bomb.

This whole conversation is making me realise that the only food I find massively satiating is dairy... For my whole life, after every meal I would have a big cup of milky tea, and only then would I feel like I'd finished eating...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Did it come with instructions? You add the gelatin to room temperature or cool water, let it set for a minute, then add your hot beverage (pour the coffee in after). At least, that's how I've been doing it. Or, you can heat the whole thing over the stove and stir and the gelatin should incorporate.
    Nope, it didn't come with any instructions at all. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go later

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Heh, we made a home video of her at the age 2 literally stuffing her face with broccoli. She still eats it veggies like that. And you do not, absolutely do not turn your back on her when there is asparagus on the table - she can put a lb away while I take a roast out of the oven and slice it. She loved green veggies immediately and it took her some time to warm up to yellows, oranges and reds. Go figure.

This whole conversation is making me realise that the only food I find massively satiating is dairy... For my whole life, after every meal I would have a big cup of milky tea, and only then would I feel like I'd finished eating...
    That's interesting. I find that fermented non-fat dairy is very satiating as well & I can't end my evening without drinking gallons of tea 'with something' Back when I was young it was home made currants jam. Now it differs depending on the carbiness of the diet I am after (yeah, I know!0 but it gotta to be mushy and in a tiny saucer!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Okay - but for your penance you must tie yourself to the sugar stake and eat burning candy floss. That should undo the damage from the black pepper..

Speaking of black pepper - I had a look at the spices that Peat approves of, I'll try and did up the info.
    Pepper is fermented, so, of course Peat doesn't like it.
    nihil

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    Nope, it didn't come with any instructions at all. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go later
    I hope it works well for you. I hope my question didn't seem condescending, it's just that the boxes of Knox gelatin here come with instructions for making juice-based gelatin and it basically says what I wrote (add it to cool liquid, add the hot liquid after).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Actually, my experience so far has been very similar to YogaBare's.
    While I was eating VLC, LC or the Perfect Health Diet (which was a step up, but still not what I needed) I kept feeling hungry. I ate, I exercised but I could not lose the excess weight. In all honesty, it wasn't that much, but I still had excessive body fat and was carrying extra weight for my 5' 3" frame.
    Now I'm eating more in line with Peat's recommendations and I can say that for the first time ever since I can remember I'm no longer "dieting". I no longer live to eat, I eat to live. I feel satiated with less food while I still have tons of energy.
    My mood is great and balanced, my hair is getting it's healthy shine and strength back.
    And....I'm losing weight again for the first time in a very long time.

Found in a citation at the end of this Peat article:

Nutr Cancer 1988;11(4):251-7. Cytotoxicity of extracts of spices to cultured cells. Unnikrishnan MC, Kuttan R Amala Cancer Research Centre, Kerala, India. The cytotoxicity of the extracts from eight different spices used in the Indian diet was determined using Dalton's lymphoma ascites tumor cells and human lymphocytes in vitro and Chinese Hamster Ovary cells and Vero cells in tissue culture. Alcoholic extracts of the spices were found to be more cytotoxic to these cells than their aqueous extracts. Alcoholic extracts of several spices inhibited cell growth at concentrations of 0.2-1 mg/ml in vitro and 0.12-0.3 mg/ml in tissue culture. Ginger, pippali (native to India; also called dried catkins), pepper, and garlic showed the highest activity followed by asafetida, mustard, and horse-gram (native to India). These extracts also inhibited the thymidine uptake into DNA.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    And I partially agree about kids. I think it's great to watch how children eat because they just eat when they're hungry, they are picky....but my nephew would eat nothing but French fries if you let him so I think there is a limit also I think I might have eaten straight butter as a kid and I put powdered sugar in ice cream!
    I think that there are certain foods (now even more that big agribusiness is engineering foods to circumvent our natural controls) that should be only provided in limited quantities to kids as occasional treats. If there are always assorted vegetables and fruit, meat, dairy, and other animal protein, kids will choose from them. People nowadays give fried food to kids at every meal and train the kids that being picky in order to get those foods that will bypass their inner controls means adults will automatically indulge them.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaLeaf View Post
    Wow! This is exactly what I have recently determined to be my problem. I eat too much, and I am eating in an attempt to get more energy. The energy doesn't come, so I keep eating!

Thank you for posting your personal Peat plan. Do you notice an immediate increase in energy after you eat these foods? Or has it been after eating like this for a while that you started to feel more energetic?
    Hey Banana leaf Glad it resonated with you!

Yes, I notice when I eat dairy or shellfish it gives me lovely, even energy. Red meat drops me a little. Fruit is more like a sauce or a snack.

Id recommend trying some mono meals and seeing how you respond to certain foods! It was part of my impetus for giving up salmon. I noticed that I always felt tired after eating it. Smoked salmon was okay though.

JUst wondering - have you had any blood work done lately? Are you suffering from fatigue?

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    That's interesting. I find that fermented non-fat dairy is very satiating as well & I can't end my evening without drinking gallons of tea 'with something' Back when I was young it was home made currants jam. Now it differs depending on the carbiness of the diet I am after (yeah, I know!0 but it gotta to be mushy and in a tiny saucer!
    I find that a tiny bit of sugar after a meal satiates me perfectly too Tea with milk and sugar, and I have no need for anything else. I guess the idea of deserts came from somewhere - maybe a little hit of something sweet helps the metabolic processes. Derp?

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Now I'm eating more in line with Peat's recommendations and I can say that for the first time ever since I can remember I'm no longer "dieting". I no longer live to eat, I eat to live. I feel satiated with less food while I still have tons of energy.
    My mood is great and balanced, my hair is getting it's healthy shine and strength back.
    And....I'm losing weight again for the first time in a very long time.
    I feel the exact same! I can't even believe that I had an eating disorder for 13 years...

I know I keep harping on about satiation, but I really feel it's important. I've never struggled to lose weight before the last six months. I couldn't understand why I was stuck at this high weight. People told me that maybe my body was happy at that weight. Now I know it wasn't. I couldn't lose weight while I was eating so much, and I was eating so much because I was eating the wrong food (for me).

I started to question what hunger was, and now I'm sure that excessive, desperate hunger is not a desire for quantities of food: it's almost like a sign that your body isn't utilising its resources properly.

- Ray Peat

BananaLeaf is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Banana leaf Glad it resonated with you!

Yes, I notice when I eat dairy or shellfish it gives me lovely, even energy. Red meat drops me a little. Fruit is more like a sauce or a snack.

Id recommend trying some mono meals and seeing how you respond to certain foods! It was part of my impetus for giving up salmon. I noticed that I always felt tired after eating it. Smoked salmon was okay though.

JUst wondering - have you had any blood work done lately? Are you suffering from fatigue?

No, I haven't had any blood work done lately. A couple of years ago my blood work showed my ferritin level to be a little bit low, but I haven't had it checked since then. I also test my vitamin d level every 6 months and manage to keep it in an optimal range. That's about it. I wouldn't say that I am suffering from very serious fatigue. I just wish that I had more energy and motivation. The kind of energy that I get when I drink a lot of caffeine In fact, eating primally for the last couple of years has helped somewhat, but I'm not entirely happy with my digestion, my weight (carrying about an extra 20lbs) and feel like my energy could be higher. I also love working out and want to be fit and strong, but the progress is slow.

The mono meal idea is interesting. I will definitely give that a try. Thanks!

Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast