Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Peat Eating Plan Weight Loss? page 3

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    They should have an ingredient list though Leida? I always ask, and if they don't know, I don't buy.
    Rocco, what cheeses do you buy in the UK? And what milk?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Ray Peat's recommendations aren't so much what to eat as what they are to avoid. In that respect, it's a lot like paleo. Ray Peat is pro-dairy, pro-egg and pro-cacao. He loves the protein in the milk and eggs and loves the nutrient-density and fatty acid profile of cacao. He believes incorporating them into your diet will help build health as they are metabolism-supporting foods. However, that doesn't mean you'll lose weight eating gallons of chocolate ice cream.

Calories still matter.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Rocco, what cheeses do you buy in the UK? And what milk?
    Depends where I am. If I'm in London I'll go to Whole Foods in Stoke Newington(you may have one near you?) and buy their cheese - usually the Lancashire Kirkhams or the Tallegio(which is soft and made from unpasturised milk). They have a huge selection though you have to check the ingredient list to see whether it's pasteurised, raw, animal or vegetarian rennet. And now that I'm in Shropshire for a while I'm getting stuff from a farm which sells grass-fed everything. But I'm still a noob when it comes to cheese. I'd like to check out the gouda stuff!?

Milk - The stuff from Manor Farm is delicious. That's from Whole Foods too or Planet Organic. Otherwise Rachel's Organic range is decent, and Waitrose also sell decent stuff from the Duchy's range. These are all pasteurised but not homogenised, and ALL are from grass-fed cattle. I though about raw milk but it's 18 for 6 pints, which would cover about 1.5 to 3 days. So not worth it!

I'd like to find an even more exclusive range from a smaller farm if poss.

jackaaron is offline Member
    I initially came here because of interest in Paleo, but I've not started it. I haven't started ANY form of change in terms of WHAT I eat.

I went from eating 3 times a day plus two nice sized snacks to eating twice a day (on my way to one time), and less snacks overall. Since I got to 2 times a day (for me it was once I reached eating at 11:30 for my first of two meals), I've lost 16 pounds, and a pants size (maybe a little more).

I've cut some of the calories overall, otherwise...and I haven't even been counting them.

I have the same amount of energy as before (e.g. I played 3 hours of basketball last weekend before my second meal).

This doesn't really prove a lot, nor is it magic...I'm taking in less calories than I burn.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I would love to try some of Ray Peat's protocol just to have consistent energy throughout the day. I have been doing a paleo style diet for 5 1/2 years. I have never had any issues with weight or gaining muscle. I started this diet because of allergies and IBS problems. Paleo helped enormously because of the fact that I am gluten sensitive and lactose intolerant. For those who have issues with dairy is there a workaround? I have been allergic to dairy ever since I was a little kid. I love the taste of milk and cheese but when I consume them even in small quantities I get nauseated and my stomach is a mess for the next couple of days. I have never personally been LC as I normally have an intake of 200-300g of carbs per day mostly from fruits.
    Last edited by Balance; 07-30-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Rocco, here, in the ingredient list, it will just say 'rennet' without any qualifier.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Depends where I am. If I'm in London I'll go to Whole Foods in Stoke Newington(you may have one near you?) and buy their cheese - usually the Lancashire Kirkhams or the Tallegio(which is soft and made from unpasturised milk). They have a huge selection though you have to check the ingredient list to see whether it's pasteurised, raw, animal or vegetarian rennet. And now that I'm in Shropshire for a while I'm getting stuff from a farm which sells grass-fed everything. But I'm still a noob when it comes to cheese. I'd like to check out the gouda stuff!?

Milk - The stuff from Manor Farm is delicious. That's from Whole Foods too or Planet Organic. Otherwise Rachel's Organic range is decent, and Waitrose also sell decent stuff from the Duchy's range. These are all pasteurised but not homogenised, and ALL are from grass-fed cattle. I though about raw milk but it's 18 for 6 pints, which would cover about 1.5 to 3 days. So not worth it!

I'd like to find an even more exclusive range from a smaller farm if poss.
    I actually live near Stokey - maybe I'll cycle up there and check out whole foods. I've really just been enjoying not cooking, not checking labels etc. but I guess if I'm feeling this good eating Tesco cottage cheese, I could be feeling even better with quality dairy

Gouda and edam are awesome cheeses! Also love Port Salut, but it's a bit too fatty for me right now.

I'll try some of those milks as well. They sell raw in Borough food market, but it's a pain in the ass to cycle there and it goes off way too fast...

Thanks for all the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I would love to try some of Ray Peat's protocol just to have consistent energy throughout the day. I have been doing a paleo style diet for 5 1/2 years. I have never had any issues with weight or gaining muscle. I started this diet because of allergies and IBS problems. Paleo helped enormously because of the fact that I am gluten sensitive and lactose intolerant. For those who have issues with dairy is there a workaround? I have been allergic to dairy ever since I was a little kid. I love the taste of milk and cheese but when I consume them even in small quantities I get nauseated and my stomach is a mess for the next couple of days. I have never personally been LC as I normally have an intake of 200-300g of carbs per day mostly from fruits.
    Balance, I'm not sure what Id recommend if you are allergic to dairy, but if you're interested you could always go onto the ray peat forum and ask for advice?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I actually live near Stokey - maybe I'll cycle up there and check out whole foods. I've really just been enjoying not cooking, not checking labels etc. but I guess if I'm feeling this good eating Tesco cottage cheese, I could be feeling even better with quality dairy

Gouda and edam are awesome cheeses! Also love Port Salut, but it's a bit too fatty for me right now.

I'll try some of those milks as well. They sell raw in Borough food market, but it's a pain in the ass to cycle there and it goes off way too fast...

Thanks for all the info!

Balance, I'm not sure what Id recommend if you are allergic to dairy, but if you're interested you could always go onto the ray peat forum and ask for advice?
    I just read on the Ray Peat Q&A Forums to consume crushed egg shells and more gelatin. I already do the gelatin and bone broth but I will definitely look into the egg shells. Thanks!
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Peat is against yogurt, due to acidity iirc. He wants curds only.
    (
    Ahh yes, I forgot his anti-fermented foods stance

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What do you do about the pectin in OJ?
    Concentrate, or squeeze it yourself.
    nihil

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast