Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what if i want to sprint more often/ get better at it? page

breetbree is offline Senior Member

what if i want to sprint more often/ get better at it?

Primal Fuel
    hi, all. i know mark recommends 1 sprint session every 7-10 days, but what if i want to do more? will it have negative impact? i genuinely enjoy sprinting sessions, and want to be able to do them at least 3 times each week. i'm still overweight so i'm not sure if that would be a major contributing factor. i'm 5'9'' or 5'10'' and about 180-185 pounds. currently i'm only sprinting about 30 feet, walking back to the start and waiting a minute, and repeating about 4 times. what are your thoughts on multiple sprint sessions each week? thanks.

also, i sprint on flat surface with no incline or decline, but it's grassy, not a track or anything fancy. anyone have tips on how to increase my sprinting speed?

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Below is a picture of a guy who sprints, a lot, pretty much every day, and mostly flat out.

If your body wants to go more - then make it go more. Just pay attention to the creaks and aches to minimize chance of injury.

usain-bolt-moty-gq.jpg
    Last edited by DeeDub; 07-29-2013 at 10:14 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    If you can sprint 3 times per week then you're not doing it hard enough. It has to be flat out, nothing left in the tank. Each rep. Shaking at the end of it. Think about each step. Push as hard as you possibly can. Drive those legs, pump the arms, suck wind as hard as you can

If you're holding back because of injury then wait till you're well before sprinting. If you're holding back because of fear of injury then you have to find a way to let go. If something else is holding you back, tell us - someone may be able to help
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

well sprinters who do it for sport do it multiple times per week. i just want to know how to build up to doing it more often. i really enjoy sprints and i feel like a i got a great workout from them. i've only injured myself during sprints when i didn't warm up enough. and that was one time. i want to be able to do sprints 3-5 times per week eventually. i just truly enjoy them.

Jiggyz is offline Junior Member
    Sprinting can be very tough on your body, especially if you go all out.

I would recommend extending the length of your sprint to say 200 or 400 meters at a slower pace. You are still using a sprinters form rather than say a 5k form but here is not so much violent action. On these 200 and 400s you should also leave a little in the tank at this stage, enough to do 4 of them working up to 8. Rest as much as you need. I walk a a full 400 after a 400m sprint.

A few weeks of longer sprints will acclimate your body to a shorter sprint and give you a much better idea of what all out is.

I would also look to some of the WOWs to accomplish additional sprint workouts at this stage so as not to overload on traditional sprinting.

Above all take it easy to avoid injury and spend a lot more time warming up and cooling down than you do sprinting.

Love to sprint, makes me feel truly primal.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    You can do one all out sprint session once a week and various other sprint sessions with sub maximal intensity, no problems! Personally I sprint almost every day, but without going all out, and around 70 - 90 % of max speed and in shorter distance...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

atmetal is offline Senior Member
    I would think sprinting is not much different from weight lifting. So the approach may be the same. Your consistently burning off muscle glycogen, so you'll need to eat appropriately. Your creating micro tears in the muscles, so the muscles will need lots of stretching, dynamic warmups, and foam rolling to keep from getting tight and causing injury. Also, you'll need to "deload" once in a while to allow recovery to catch up or you will plateau eventually, which will turn into regression if you continue to push hard.

And like others mentioned, progress slowly. Whatever your goals are, build up to it to prevent over-development of some body parts and creating imbalance.

This is just my take on it coming from a weight lifter. I may be completely wrong as I absolutely loathe sprinting.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I also think it depends what else you do in that week. If you are lifting and sprinting in one week then going more than 3 or 4 is too much. What I found helped me improve my sprint was I dropped some body fat. This was the biggest thing for me because every time I went to run I felt like I was dragging a cow. I also paid attention to my breathing, arm technique, food I consumed the day before and sprinting at a fasted state.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    It goes like this, a full out sprint will take plenty of days to firstly recover from and then adapt to. A day or 2 for recovery & about 3 - 4 days adaptation.

So marks timing is to add a few more days onto these 5 days already just to give your body a break from either recovery or adaptation (muscle building etc).

If you sprint again after 3 days you are just eating into the above process, you'll be lucky if this has any net positive effects. The only thing you can really do is lopp the rest days off the end, and sprint again after the recovery/ adaptation process has finished.

Also world class sprinters wouldn't be doing the same sprints every day. They would have the recovery/adaptation process going on in as many different body systems as they can. Ie training weights, explosive, endurance, oxygen capacity, etc etc. they would most definitely let the process run its course before doing the "same" exercise again.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast