Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I got into an argument with my Doctor today... page

paint94979 is offline Senior Member

So I got into an argument with my Doctor today...

Primal Fuel
    I had an appointment with my doctor this morning to go over my recent blood work. We sit down and she starts right away with "Your Cholesterol is high and your LDL is very high". She asked me what I eat and I told her, and im quite sure she vomited in her mouth a little bit. She preceded to tell me that LDL is the largest precursor to heart disease and I said i don't believe that. She looked dumb founded as if I insulted her? I then said my HDL is high (81) and my Trigs are low (49). She told me she doesn't believe Trigs should be involved in the evaluation of cardiovascular health. I mentioned that according to my VAP test my cholesterol was mostly Large Boyuant and she basically didn't care. She then asked me if I am aware that red meat is known to cause cancer? I couldn't believe my ears I had already told her I only eat pastured and 100% grass fed animal products and I didn't eat factory farm animal meats. The icing on the cake so to speak was when she asked me how I felt that I was increasing my carbon foot print by eating animal products and if I was ok with poisining the earth. I thought about it for a minute and I said, "yep". She got very irritated I just enjoying our discussion at that point ha. I told her I want optimum health for myself and she said what I was doing was not optimal and that vegetarianism/ veganisim was the optimum diet for me. I am changing my doctor.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    When you're dancing on her grave in your VFFs, you'll have had the last laugh.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Ah yes, it is in her job description to talk about your carbon foot print, BAER. How odd.

ETA: I think it is her job to make the health points as she thinks is correct and I think you were both were on the edges of the truth, but going outside the medical box was not correct behavior.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    I agree completely... She also gave me a website to look at trying to convince me that I should go vegan/vegetarian PCRM: Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

jendoe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
    I agree completely... She also gave me a website to look at trying to convince me that I should go vegan/vegetarian PCRM: Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
    Oh, no way! I was looking for recipes/cooking help a few days ago... and found a blog post by a chef talking about PCRM. They apparently had an article in the Huffington Post that was full of incorrect information, and she took it apart point by point in her post. She tried contacting them about the bad info, and got a reply like this:

“Doctors who prescribe “chicken and fish” instead of red meat to sick patients are simply kidding themselves and not doing their patients any favors. As long as people think they are going to improve their health by eating chicken, they are going to end up returning to their cardiologists wondering what went wrong, if they make it for the return trip alive.” (I added the bold.)

A Failed Nutrition Quiz and a Dire Warning Against Deadly Chicken Breasts (courtesy of The Huffington Post and Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine)

What was interesting was that the chef who blogged about this is NOT paleo (though she clearly eats real, whole foods - so yay.) This group even had HER scratching her head.

Anyway, hearing stuff like this scares me... I haven't been to a doctor in awhile, and I have an appointment with a new doc scheduled Wednesday. I was a vegetarian for 20 years - it didn't work, and I'm pretty sure is at least partially to blame for some of the problems I'm having now!

Good luck, I hope you can find an awesome new doc!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I eat Primal and get some exercise.... so I don't bother going to medical doctors

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I don't go to medical doctors either. Funny enough, in America, thanks to Obummer's health care, I have to get health insurance whether I want it or not or face a fine.

We could have stopped this.
    nihil

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    PCRM is just another flavor of PETA/ALF. Any doctor that would use their material should be laughed at because that's about as credible as a tabloid.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I recently ditched a doc like that. Lucky to find a D.O. who is reasonable. She still pushes some CW but a great improvement.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast