Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I got into an argument with my Doctor today... page 3

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Find a decent Dr and discuss that VLDL 3.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    You and me both. I would have broken my carbon footprint off in her ass.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    My doctor was initially against the Primal Blueprint but it was because she had some incorrect assumptions (mostly that she saw it as being just like Atkins). When I explained that the PB is very similar to the anti-inflammatory diet that she recommends, she got on board.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

jackaaron is online now Member
    I am odd. I would stay with that same doc, and try to find ways to convince her. I guess I feel like that because IF I were able to turn her, then I would have acquired enough knowledge to "turn" about anyone, but far more importantly, I would have acquired enough knowledge to KNOW that what I was doing was right.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaaron View Post
    I am odd. I would stay with that same doc, and try to find ways to convince her. I guess I feel like that because IF I were able to turn her, then I would have acquired enough knowledge to "turn" about anyone, but far more importantly, I would have acquired enough knowledge to KNOW that what I was doing was right.
    That is what I get out of arguing with people on the interwebs- it forces one to check sources and clean up accuracy. But I'm not up for those kinds of headaches when I see a physician.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

jackaaron is online now Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    That is what I get out of arguing with people on the interwebs- it forces one to check sources and clean up accuracy. But I'm not up for those kinds of headaches when I see a physician.
    Ha! No doubt!

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I eat Primal and get some exercise.... so I don't bother going to medical doctors
    HAH! Me too. XD Although I probably should go sometime to see if they can fix my big toenails. I tend to kick things. I doubt they can help though.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    friend of ours, about 50, slim, fit, very active. chronic agonizing back pain for several years. doctors were finally starting to talk surgery since it was becoming debilitating and his job is physically demanding.

in the meantime he had a massive coronary that required a quadruple by-pass. his wife is a nurse and if she hadn't been home at the time he would have died.

after the by-pass, his back pain was gone and has never returned. his doctors then realized the pain was actually a manifestation of artery blockage and had nothing to do with his skeleton. further, if they had opened him up? he likely would have died on the table. ffs, we are not that far removed from leeches as far medical treatment goes.
    So true. We do not have space aged technology and we can't literally see inside people. MRI's, X-rays and exploratory surgery all have their downsides and might not detect things. It reminds me of that Star Trek movie, where McCoy told the present day doctors that they needed to rebuild the vein. I always wished someone had responded, "Yeah, obviously. Got any ideas on how to do that, smartass?"

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Here's a link for Paleo Physicians:
    Paleo Physicians Network
    I found one on this website last week and he looked at my recent blood work for free. I am having problems with constipation out of nowhere. His first question was "are you getting enough fat in your diet". I was thrilled! There is a lot more to it than that and my fat intake is at the proper level, but it was nice to not hear the "eat more whole grains" BS.

This part is a bit off topic…….He is quite far away from me but he does free consultations and I am driving up for one. He is very expensive as they don't take insurance. They will give you what you need to file though. It guess it really isn't that much considering the grand scheme of things and healthcare scams. They work on a retainer and this is one time that a health care savings account would be of use. I'm pretty sure that whatever I try to file with my insurance will not be paid. I have Tricare and it really sucks. I guess most everyone will have something similar soon or pay a “fine” which is really just a tax.

The main thing is that most of us are going to have no choice but to deal with Doctors who spout CW all the time unless we have the money to choose what doctor we want to see.

L0kI is offline Senior Member
    I think that while doctors in general are very smart and diligent, certainty is compelling and they get sucked into *believing* rather than evaluating. It's very hard to convince people otherwise when they've developed a belief. I would challenge her to a science-off... Go one for one on articles (unfortunately you'll need to read her propaganda to be fair)... You won't convince her in the short term, but if you can get her to do some reading, doubts will creep into her certainties and if she is intellectually curious, as I hope most doctors are, she may eventually start to seek out more information and slowly change her views. It's like getting healthy... It won't change over night. I have a degree in nutrition and I still have a hard time with 'saturated fat is good'... I still have a reflex that was built into me from my education. It all takes time.
    Side note, I find medical doctors quite effective for acute needs, but chronic issues never seem to be notably resolved. I think an integrated approach is the ticket.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast