Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I got into an argument with my Doctor today... page 2

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I feel like making flyers for MDA members of me as a 260lb vegan that dozed off every afternoon and was probably a step short of diabetes and one of me as a 172 lb carnivore. You can hand them to your doctor to identify the diet behind the photo.....This idea that vegan/vegetarian diets are some health panacea is LAUGHABLE.

Good luck finding a new doctor.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
    she asked me how I felt that I was increasing my carbon foot print by eating animal products and if I was ok with poisining the earth. I thought about it for a minute and I said, "yep".
    smartassness is my favorite human trait
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    AH well, at least you know otherwise. Not had a doc like that. Even when I was overweight, my doctors never talked to me about it, so I don't know how I'd react. Hell, last time I saw a doc at all I was recovering from having my gallbladder out and he was all thumbs about eating whatever.

What perplexes me is that doctors buy the usual drivvel. When we say doctor, we associate it with diligence and far above average intelligence. You'd think these guys would be curious enough to constantly read new things, and smart enough to use Science to verify it.

M.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    when I get a new doctor, I will take a picture of me at 350 + pounds, with a 5' waist line. After a 125 lb. loss, no one NO ONE can tell me that CW is healthier.

I hope you find a doctor that is willing to work with you.

Yanwoo is offline Junior Member
    I had a full physical recently where my cholesterol numbers were high and I got similar advice (although more gently delivered).

For me the challenge is being respectful of their expertise and experience whilst holding a different view. I know how I'd feel if someone came to me in a field I'd dedicated my life to and argued based on some stuff they've read on the Internet...

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanwoo View Post
    I had a full physical recently where my cholesterol numbers were high and I got similar advice (although more gently delivered).

For me the challenge is being respectful of their expertise and experience whilst holding a different view. I know how I'd feel if someone came to me in a field I'd dedicated my life to and argued based on some stuff they've read on the Internet...

I agree but the second her point of view turned personal I was obligated to become a smartass .

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Here's a link for Paleo Physicians:
    Paleo Physicians Network
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post

What perplexes me is that doctors buy the usual drivvel. When we say doctor, we associate it with diligence and far above average intelligence. You'd think these guys would be curious enough to constantly read new things, and smart enough to use Science to verify it.
    unless they are solely in private practice, most doctors are over-burdened with the patient-load now demanded by hmo's. they are also not in the field of "prevention". mostly what they are taught is to diagnose symptoms and then manage those dominoes. how many old folks do you know who take buckets of pills each day?

i have never had a doctor who recommended anything other than lots of whole grains, low-fat and minimal meat. my dentist and hygienist though?! super happy when i gave up grains.

am quite sure there would be liability issues if they went against ama dogma and a patient got cancer or had a heart attack.

personal anecdote:

friend of ours, about 50, slim, fit, very active. chronic agonizing back pain for several years. doctors were finally starting to talk surgery since it was becoming debilitating and his job is physically demanding.

in the meantime he had a massive coronary that required a quadruple by-pass. his wife is a nurse and if she hadn't been home at the time he would have died.

after the by-pass, his back pain was gone and has never returned. his doctors then realized the pain was actually a manifestation of artery blockage and had nothing to do with his skeleton. further, if they had opened him up? he likely would have died on the table. ffs, we are not that far removed from leeches as far medical treatment goes.

from hippocrates:

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

“Walking is man's best medicine. ”
    from luke:

And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country.
    how many fat doctors do you see?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    See? This is why I can't function in polite society....I would have insulted her and called her some vulgar words and left the office at about the carbon footprint point.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Moose View Post
    See? This is why I can't function in polite society....I would have insulted her and called her some vulgar words and left the office at about the carbon footprint point.
    You and me both. I would have broken my carbon footprint off in her ass.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast