Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shin Splints page 2

appyuanq is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    You might need to back off whatever impact exercising caused the problem and slowly build back up.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Shin splints can be caused by a few different things one being the length of the gastrocnemius vs soleus. If one muscle is stretched more than the other this causes and imbalance that can cause shin splints. When you stretch make sure to do both a straight and bent knee stretch.

Also since you already are feeling the symptoms I would suggest getting a laccross ball or something similar and doing this. Take the ball on the outside edge of your tibia and press the ball into the muscle then roll the ball out to the outside of your shin. Start at the top of your shin and work all the way down to the ankle doing this movement.

For the inside of the tibia use a little oil and press your thumb into the muscle then slide down the edge of the tibia to the ankle then work back up to the top. If you can stand it rock the pad of your thumb back and forth working from top to bottom and back up again.

I'm going to tell you, this sucks. It is not pleasant by any means but it does work. After you have done your self massage drink lots of water to keep the muscles from adhering to each other again and continue to do both the straight knee and bent knee stretch.

Repeat this every couple days until the shin splints go away.
    Last edited by Iron Will; 08-02-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Crappy IPhone spell check

diene is offline Senior Member

kansas-klx is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    As far as I know, shin splints only happen to heel-strikers.
    That's what I was figuring too. Maybe Gigi would benefit from doing some alternating foot jump rope work? It is more impactful than walking but less so than running, from my experience. Also good for posture maintenance. It is definitely not a full substitute for running but may help her transition to a mid/forefoot type strike if she doesn't already land that way while running. Maybe it would also ease the shin splits, too.

These days, I do 5 minutes of ropework prior to any running activity and it serves as both a pre-warmup session and also a good indicator of how the main running session is likely to go. Once in a while I will even suspend a running session outright because of how I felt while doing the ropework (missing the rope a lot, general fatigue, etc.) that might not have been evident beforehand.

Worth consideration anyway...

ama1776 is offline Junior Member
    I used to get them like crazy when I played football. Eventually, new insoles, ibuprofen, and running more on the ball of my foot got me past them. Eventually got away from needing ibuprofen. Ice was marginally effective.

Every one is different tho, so just keep trying things and eventually they'll settle down.

Medcaller is offline Junior Member
    Hi, I have experienced having shin splints before. Some experts call it Tibial Medial Stress Syndrome. I initially felt throbbing pain on my front lower leg. I did put ice on my shin which helped reduce the swelling a little. I didn't know what it was until I did my own research and came across this article. Shin Splints - Self Help Tips, Treatment and Prevention From The Barefoot Running Doctor at Team Doctors - Team Doctors Blog | Athlete for Life!
    This article helped me learn exactly the signs and symptoms of shin splints and how shin splints can be prevented. Also included are self help tips on how I could relieve pain and more!
    I was really thankful that the author, Dr. James Stoxen demonstrated the Deep tissue treatment on a video tutorial which is included in the article. I tried it and it was really effective! I always do it on my feet and legs before running. Itís really interesting to find out that barefoot running helps build up the human spring mechanism. Dr. Stoxen himself is a barefoot runner. Iíve converted and been running barefoot for 8 months now. NO MORE shin splints!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Run more on your toes, if you can.

A lot of times shin splints are caused by that shin muscle controlling the descent of the toe, after the heel has struck the ground. This is an eccentric motion for that muscle, which will just tear them up. Running on your toes means there will be no more eccentric motion there, but your calves will be destroyed for a little while. Fortunately, your calves have the capability to adapt to that stress better than your shins.

sonialanc is offline Junior Member
    Get your feet checked by a podiatrist. They can be caused by foot problems. I see many people with them who get relief once their feet are properly aligned

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

pjefferson is offline Junior Member
    Gigi-

First off.. I love your site. You are hilarious.

Secondly.. I used to have a major problem with shin splints when I ran for a few days in a row. Adding one single stretch to my pre-run routine has TOTALLY fixed the problem:

1. Find the nearest staircase, and stand on a step, facing down the stairs (like you are walking down).
    2. Put your heels on the step, but let about half of your feet extend outward (toe first)
    3. Keep your legs straight and holding onto the rail, do the following with both feet simultaneously.
    4. Point your toes downward as far as you can, and hold for a few seconds.
    5. Now point your toes upward as far as you can and hold for a few seconds.
    6. Repeat this about 5 times.
    7. Repeat the whole process again, except this time do it with bent knees.

It will take about 2 minutes total, but it truly works. Try it.
    Documenting my primal journey and keeping it simple at: Primal Weight Loss.net

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by pjefferson View Post
    Gigi-

First off.. I love your site. You are hilarious.

Secondly.. I used to have a major problem with shin splints when I ran for a few days in a row. Adding one single stretch to my pre-run routine has TOTALLY fixed the problem:

1. Find the nearest staircase, and stand on a step, facing down the stairs (like you are walking down).
    2. Put your heels on the step, but let about half of your feet extend outward (toe first)
    3. Keep your legs straight and holding onto the rail, do the following with both feet simultaneously.
    4. Point your toes downward as far as you can, and hold for a few seconds.
    5. Now point your toes upward as far as you can and hold for a few seconds.
    6. Repeat this about 5 times.
    7. Repeat the whole process again, except this time do it with bent knees.

It will take about 2 minutes total, but it truly works. Try it.
    THANK YOU so much for this, I really appreciate it! I am going to actually bookmark this and keep it on hand when my splints return... Wait, not when - that would imply that they will, lol.... IF they come back Happy New Year!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast