Thread: Ready to reach out page

msass is offline Junior Member

Ready to reach out

Primal Fuel
    I am a 40 year old mother. 5'6", 147 lbs, about 25% body fat I think. I have been 90% primal since January and have lost 10 lbs and one inch on waist. Not 100%, weakness is popcorn at movies and rarely pizza out with my husband, who is not buying into this whole thing yet. Oh, and my big weakness is frozen yogurt or ice cream, and I am not doing the grass-fed thing yet.

Daughter has type one diabetes, she is 15 now and has had it since age 4. The doctors have been very satisfied with her control, but her weight has been increasing. She is 5'3 and 175 lbs. and weight watchers calorie counting exercising like a maniac never helped, also tried vegetarianism. Just up and up went the weight, down and down went her self-confidence. I tried to get help from her doctor's, no luck. Tried low-carb, was discouraged by her doctors, and she was not compliant. So, did some research and found Rob Wolff and MDA, started listening to podcasts, and decided we had to try this one more thing.

Daughter started losing weight, but kids/friends/peer pressure make it difficult, and her father my husband does not buy into this at all, even now. So daughter is conflicted. Also, her younger brother and sister eat like my husband, can't make them eat this strange new non-twinkie way without dad giving it up too right? Husband looks on with disbelief at us eating lean hamburger patties, homemade mayo, lots of buttered veggies and bacon of course almost every day. He says what's wrong with a sandwich?

But, Daughter immediately noticed sugar leveled out. Lost 10 lbs the first week or so, gained it back and notices sugar is erratic if does not maintain this way of eating.

I had all kinds of joint pains and iritis which led to having cataract surgery at 38 years old, and adult onset acne, and depression. Got epidural steroid injections for back, antibiotic cream twice daily for acne, and took eye drops twice daily or my eyes would flare up with photophobia blurred vision redness and drainage, I kept thinking I am way too young for this. If this is what I have now, what is life going to be like when I'm 80? My grandmother died suffering from severe back/shoulder/misc. pain for years before she died at 91. I was thinking I would be the same way.

I never thought changing my diet to help my daughter would help me, but it so has. I have lost weight, which was not my primary concern but hey who's complaining? Aches and pains are so much better, acne is gone, unless I drink milk or cream in coffee. Butter and occasional ice cream or yogurt do not break me out and cheese seems ok, not sure why? Best of all, iritis is gone, I haven't had to use eye drops at all since Jan. Except once we had a big family reunion/feast for several days hosted by us over july 4th, the fifth day my eyes started and I took drops for 3 days got back on track and all is good now. Which just really proves to me that my iritis being kept at bay really is related to my diet.

My mood is so much improved too, I feel so much more calm most of the time. It's awesome. I hope my husband comes on board so we can be more harmonious as a family.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Welcome msass! Happy to hear you are doing so well. It would certainly benefit your daughter to be PB also, but I understand the difficulties. Maybe if she joined MDA she would feel better talking to other kids her age here.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

msass is offline Junior Member
    Thank you I think it would help her too, she is a teenager you know and I don't want to alienate by hounding her too much.

bemental is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msass View Post
    Thank you I think it would help her too, she is a teenager you know and I don't want to alienate by hounding her too much.
    It's always the teens that have to DEAL with reality that grow up to be some of the most resourceful and well-adjusted adults. Stay strong, keep the faith and let you and your daughter's progress do the talking.

Great to have you!

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Divided diet can be tough on a family--been there. But if you and your daughter can do it together, letting the rest of the family know the two of you are doing an experiment, that might take the judgement off and let everyone coexist. Maybe 45 days...then if there is noticeable improvement for you and daughter, the rest of the family will already be used to the plan and who knows, might even try it. I think the key is not to let criticism interfere, but it's hard. Good luck. Health is key.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    good for you and your daughter. im glad things are working out for you both
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Spheni is offline Member
    It is hard when the whole family isn't on the bandwagon. It's also hard feeling different when you are a teen. Have you given her the Primal Blueprint book to read? She is old enough to be educated on healthy eating habits. Eating is one of the things that kids and teens feel they have control over. Hounding her is definitely not going to help. Get her involved in determining what foods are primal and planning meals. If she becomes the expert she can teach her siblings and dad. The youngsters will probably want to copy their big sis.

bemental is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spheni View Post
    It is hard when the whole family isn't on the bandwagon. It's also hard feeling different when you are a teen. Have you given her the Primal Blueprint book to read? She is old enough to be educated on healthy eating habits. Eating is one of the things that kids and teens feel they have control over. Hounding her is definitely not going to help. Get her involved in determining what foods are primal and planning meals. If she becomes the expert she can teach her siblings and dad. The youngsters will probably want to copy their big sis.
    Agreed. +1.

Best way to get people to do what you want in life is to have theme believe that the idea belongs to them.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe it would be helpful if you explained the 80:20 part to your daughter. She doesn't have to be "on" or "off" primal. She can have pizza or ice cream with her friends on occasion without feeling bad at all, as long as she tried to keep the meals at home primal.

Congrats on reducing your inflammation! It's sooooo good for your body to get rid of it
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html