Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Desserts - okay to use natural sugars? page

imp
    imp is offline Senior Member

Desserts - okay to use natural sugars?

Primal Fuel
    Hello I love making desserts occasionally. I know using highly refined sugar and flour is not primal at all...so I'm trying some modifications....Please let me know if I'm being primal?

- I am substituting white flour for almond or coconut flour
    - I am substuiting corn starch for arrowroot
    - I am substituting refined sugar for nature sugar such as agave nectar, raw honey, maple syrup, and cane sugar

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Not to be the grammar police but for the sake of clarity- you mean the exact opposite, yes?

You are using almond or coconut flour, arrowroot, and unrefined sugar, is that correct?

Aside from the flour, I don't consider any of those to be particularly big wins. I think the "occasionally" is the big win.
    Last edited by loafingcactus; 07-29-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

imp
    I mean the opposite lol...oops

imp
    Using unrefined sugar such as raw honey...using almond flour...and using arrowroot

Last edited by imp; 07-29-2013 at 11:19 AM.

imp
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Using unrefined sugar such as raw honey...using almond flour...and using arrowroot

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I think of food as something that makes me more healthy or less healthy. None of your substitutions are really anything to write home about. When I want the occasional dessert, I just have the real thing if it's special enough to be worth it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    what is your aim? sugar is sugar as far as the body is concerned and most baked goods require more than a scant serving. the least offensive you offer is honey, but that should still be consumed sparingly.

very few like cooking with nut flours -- the high heat likely causes oxidation.

what's the arrowroot for? to thicken fruit for pies?

people get hung up trying to make imitations of the foods they are giving up, instead of focusing on the foods you can eat. if you have a potluck or party or something, that's one thing, but "faleo" foods are usually calorie/sugar bombs anyway.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    If you miss sweets, just have them, and recreating them is hard, and they don't taste great and they are still so high in calories.

There are some more primal choices that don't require substitutes- chocolate mousse, flourless chocolate cake, fruit and whipped cream.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    If you miss sweets, just have them, and recreating them is hard, and they don't taste great and they are still so high in calories.
    I don't know, my wife's gotten pretty good at gluten-free baking, but she uses the commercial gluten-free flour mixes rather than coconut or almond flours.

imp
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Using the substitutes I posted makes decent end products...depending on what you make.

I'm just asking because I found that unrefined sugars has a lower glycemic index thus decreasing the insulin response compared to refined table sugar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast