Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Desserts - okay to use natural sugars? page 2

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    You should check out the books Primal Cravings and Paleo Deserts. PC shows you how to make every comfort food imaginable in a healthier way. The recipes are all primal/paleo friendly, use natural flours/sweeteners and won't hurt you as long as you don't gorge on them. They do have A LOT of calories so if you are worried about weight loss you might not want to do them very often and you don't want to eat so much that you are too filled up to eat healthier foods like meat, fish, vegetables and fats. I usually eat very cleanly during the week and might have some chocolate chip cookies or biscuts on the weekends. I exercise a lot on the weekends and still make sure I get plenty of protein, fats and vegetables so I don't see it being a problem for me. Any time I have mentioned these books or any of the recipes in them, several people have acted like they are the work of the devil; however, Mark endorses Primal Cravings so obviously it isn't that bad. Many people are purists and wouldn't consider eating anything in these books which is great for them but some people prefer more variety and occaissional comfort foods which if done right, is fine too.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    I don't see why it would be a problem, in moderation of course.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    The only thing I think you shouldn't use is the agave nectar. There is a post on marks blog about it, I remember something about mark telling its not primal.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Using the substitutes I posted makes decent end products...depending on what you make.

I'm just asking because I found that unrefined sugars has a lower glycemic index thus decreasing the insulin response compared to refined table sugar
    the glycemic index is an outmoded way of looking at this, unless you're eating honey or sugar by the spoon, by itself. what you eat alongside affects the gi too. for that matter, commercial honey and maple syrup have basically the same gi as table sugar.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    If it is okay to cook with cooking fats, it is okay to use natural sweeteners. Honey, maple syrup, molasses, coconut sugar, brown sugar and sucanat are all much more nutritious than coconut oil, olive oil, lard, tallow, etc. They are useful tools and only a problem when they become significantly excess calories, or start displacing nutritious foods for them since oils and sugars are comparatively nutritionless versus whole foods. Enjoy in moderation.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I should add: agave nectar is horrendous. Probably the worst sweetener on the market that isn't "artificial." White sugar and HFCS are both vastly superior. Avoid.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

imp
    imp is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for all your responses...especially the info about agrave nectar....and how is honey more nutritious than coconut oil?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Thank you for all your responses...especially the info about agrave nectar....and how is honey more nutritious than coconut oil?

Because coconut oil is a refined fat with close to zero vitamins and minerals, while honey has a measurable mineral content and something like 100 known antioxidants. Maple syrup is even more nutritious than honey, and it would blow your mind how much magnesium, calcium, potassium and iron blackstrap molasses contains. Molasses is more nutritious than some whole foods, it's pretty astounding stuff. No oil is really all that nutritious. The only two that even register a blip on the radar are grassfed butter/ghee and red palm oil. Molasses and maple syrup handily demolish both.

I'm not saying it is a great idea to start pouring the stuff all over your food. Real food always takes priority. However, if it's okay to fry an egg in a pat of butter, it's fine to add a tablespoon of maple syrup to your sweet potato. I'd say it's a better use of calories than a pat of butter

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    Personally, I think of food as something that makes me more healthy or less healthy. None of your substitutions are really anything to write home about. When I want the occasional dessert, I just have the real thing if it's special enough to be worth it.
    I agree. A cupcake is a cupcake. There are healthier dessert ideas out there than primalized versions of baked goods. Unless there are extreme allergies or intolerances to work around, just eat the real deal once in a while.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

imp
    imp is offline Senior Member
    Hmm thanks for the info Choco....where do you get all these facts?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast