Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting and cardio page

Prizle is offline Junior Member

Lifting and cardio

Shop Now
    I have a question for those of you who have been doing this longer than I. Instead of lifting heavy weights in the manner that Mark suggests, I prefer to do a couple of lifts three or four times a week and follow it by slow easy cardio. My concern is that I have noticed that after lifting my heart rate is elevated for the remainder of my cardio session. For instance, I will do a nice slow pace on the row machine, elliptical, and stair machine at a pace that pre-lifting puts me in a heart rate of roughly 70% of my max. However, after I have done a couple lifts, my heart rate is elevated into the mid to low 80s, even though I am going at the same pace. I am not out of breath, I could maintain the speed for hours, as it is easy for me, but the lifting has elevated my body temperature and therefore elevated my heart rate. I do not want to trigger cortisol being released into my body or put myself through undue stress. Do you folks think I am good here, or should I slow down? I could of course lift on days I don't do the cardio, but I enjoy doing them together. I figure Grok would occasionally have to lift something heavy and then continue hiking or doing what was necessary to get to his final destination, and he likely would not have slowed down. Simply would have continued at a comfortable pace.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    How about doing your slow cardio first, as a warm up? And then do your heavy lifting.

Walking/jogging after that antelope until it tires, then killing it and carrying it home...

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Well I mean I honestly think it is better to do your cardio separately from your lifting. This is what I do. When I do heavy lifts, I'm too tired to even do anything afterwards. I like to sprint so there is no way I would even attempt that before or after my lifting. How long do you go on the machines and what do you mean that you can maintain the speed for hours? In my opinion, if you are nor tired and you enjoy it then go for it. However, I think you are wasting your time doing that. You don't need to exercise that much in one day and what you are doing is not going to give the best result.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried taking a stretching break (5-10 min) between lifting and cardio?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

My lifting is basic movements, for example today I did three sets of squats and three sets of standing shoulder press. Weight was taxing, but not what I would define as heavy. I started being able to do ten reps, and by the last set, could not. I am nursing a knee that I hurt doing heavy squats, so I am easing back into lower body lifts and concentrating on form. The cardio portion I am simply doing to meet the goals described by Mark, in regards to the amount of slow movement one should do over the course of a week. I do some walking and such as well, but I figure the different machines give me the kind of variety that could benefit me more. I would prefer to hike, and get my variety through the uneven terrain, but until my knee is better, walking down the mountain hurts. I do sprints once a week as well, like he suggests, I was just concerned about the cortisol release and stress that Mark says occurs if you do cardio at over 80% of your max heart rate. I don't feel taxed, although my muscles are a bit tired from lifting, the cardio is at an easy pace, so it is manageable. I would compare it to maybe a hike at an easy pace, in regards to how taxing it is.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prizle View Post
    My lifting is basic movements, for example today I did three sets of squats and three sets of standing shoulder press. Weight was taxing, but not what I would define as heavy. I started being able to do ten reps, and by the last set, could not. I am nursing a knee that I hurt doing heavy squats, so I am easing back into lower body lifts and concentrating on form. The cardio portion I am simply doing to meet the goals described by Mark, in regards to the amount of slow movement one should do over the course of a week. I do some walking and such as well, but I figure the different machines give me the kind of variety that could benefit me more. I would prefer to hike, and get my variety through the uneven terrain, but until my knee is better, walking down the mountain hurts. I do sprints once a week as well, like he suggests, I was just concerned about the cortisol release and stress that Mark says occurs if you do cardio at over 80% of your max heart rate. I don't feel taxed, although my muscles are a bit tired from lifting, the cardio is at an easy pace, so it is manageable. I would compare it to maybe a hike at an easy pace, in regards to how taxing it is.
    how come your sprinting if you hurt your knee? As long as you know how to listen to your body then do it.

I have not tried stretching in between, but I don't rush from one to the other, I take it easy. The lifting is to a point where I push my muscles, but honestly, I have always recovered quickly from lifting. Back in my hard cardio days, I would lift heavy for forty five minutes to an hour, do sprints or explosive exercises (like tababta) for fifteen, and follow that with thirty minutes of hard cardio. I was consuming more carbs back then and don't have a desire to do that anymore. I mean a year or two ago I was doing P-90x every morning, cardio at lunch for about an hour, and a crossfit workout four times a week in the evening. Who would ever want to do that consistently? It just isn't realistic to maintain that for a lifetime. I am trying to follow Mark's directions and guidance toward something I could maintain. Just not sure if I should be worried about what I am currently doing... I may try the cardio first to avoid the problem, or even do the lifting half way through. I prefer to do it first, so I can give maximum effort, but would likely get results by switching it up too. Thank you for that advice Goldie

When I say I do sprints, currently I am doing "sprints" on the row machine. My knee can't take the pounding of the track. Once it can, I will transition.

Thanks all for the advice. Cayla29s you have been doing this much longer than I, and you don't seem to think I need to be overly concerned with cortisol given the exercise I described. That puts my heart at ease a bit. I have never worried about things like that in the past, simply hit it hard, so this is a new approach for me. Your guidance is appreciated.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    Well I mean I honestly think it is better to do your cardio separately from your lifting. This is what I do. When I do heavy lifts, I'm too tired to even do anything afterwards.

You don't need to exercise that much in one day and what you are doing is not going to give the best result.
    Same here and I agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast