Thread: Fish head stock page

mortel is offline Junior Member

Fish head stock

Shop Now
    All,

New to this forum.

I will try to make fish head stock today, will let you know how it pans out.

Basics:

1. I use only white cold water fish heads, preferably large ones. They are readily available where I live; Stavanger Norway.

2. According to the fish seller, it is best to cook them for hours; up to 6, with the cover off.

3. Chinese tip: add fresh ginger, optionally garlic and a small piece of (Habanero in my case) to counter any potential funkiness. This works for bone stock as well. Note the amount of chili must be limited; enough for the capsain to make the result fresh in taste and aroma, not too much to dominate and make the stock resemble Tom Yam without the lemon grass (unless you prefer that).

Have a good weekend, Jan

primalkate is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mortel View Post
    1. I use only white cold water fish heads, preferably large ones. They are readily available where I live; Stavanger Norway.
    I'm so interested in hearing how it turns out. I can get wild salmon trimmings right now for 99c/lb and have been thinking about fish stock.

Paloma is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalkate View Post
    I'm so interested in hearing how it turns out. I can get wild salmon trimmings right now for 99c/lb and have been thinking about fish stock.
    According to Sally Fallon (Nourishing Traditions) oily fish, like salmon, should not be used for stocks - while there was no explicit reasoning for the statement in her book, I'm guessing it's because oil in the fish is likely to go rancid during the long cooking process involved in stock making.

Hmmm... what about adding those lovely trimmings to a chowder?
    Last edited by Paloma; 06-02-2010 at 03:19 AM.
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    ~ Thomas Alva Edison

Lean Body is offline Member
    mmm.. I like fish head, my favorite is cob fish with chinese recipe