Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily intake of natural sugar? page

KiteKasia is offline Senior Member

Question Daily intake of natural sugar?

Shop Now
    So I'm a total newbie to this website, forum and Primal/Paleo lifestyle, but I'm relatively fit and enjoying good healthy foods. Few weeks ago I cut the gluten out of my diet purely to see if my belly would feel and look better! :-) Then I have done some research on grain free diet and finally came across Primal and Paleo and it all have made lots of sense to me.
    But I have to be honest - all that fat intake (no matter how well explained) is scarring the life out of me! :-) It's just totally opposite to what I'm used to eat. Don't get me wrong - I'm all up for it, I understand my body will turn to burning fat for the energy, but I also understand I need to keep sugar intake very low for this to happen...
    Now, there is a problem - I have no idea what that low is. I don't want to get bigger and develop any additional fat tissue, if anything I want to get lean muscles and keep on getting fitter, so I'm seriously worrying about sugar intake as it's almost in everything I snack on! I don't do anything else but natural sugar, still the fruit is loaded with it and since I hear fructose is the worst enemy it looks like apples and pears are out due to high level of fructose.
    I really can't imagine giving up on fruit or eating it as a rare treat only. I can adjust my eating habits to accommodate less sugary fruit and fruit low in fructose, but that's a tough one too - mango seems to be very high in sugar so is banana but both are relatively low in fructose, lower than blueberries! My favourite group of fruit - mellons, are not recommended by Mark but I'm trying to figure out why as they don't look that bad on this website... Sugar Content of Fruit | Nutrition Information from Dr. Loren Cordain
    I'm totally lost and confused and would really appreciate some help and guidance.
    Thank you!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    This is all dependent on your exercise level, goals (in health, fitness, and/or weight loss), and any other health issues you might be dealing with.

What's your regular diet looking like right now? How do you feel in general? What are your sleep & activity levels like?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    If you are a healthy body composition and have good blood glucose levels and are happy eating fruit, then eat fruit. Most Americans (I have no idea about Ireland) cannot say yes to those first two items, so the advice is good advice for most of them.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Leida is offline Senior Member
    For the recommended carb intakes, under 150 g carbs means you can have a couple of apples a day and be fine - if you train consistently, lifting weights, sprinting etc. You do not need to jack up the fat intake to 70% and carbs to near nothing (<50 g) unless you have serious health issues or experience uncontrolled appetite and other crazy stuff. In fact, going to extremes might actually make things worse. Try to keep your fat in 35-50% range, get enough protein in from meats, eat a piece of fruit or starch with every meal, and see how you are doing.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Thanks guys.
    I'm a healthy relatively young (uhm, uhm..) and relatively fit female. No health issues at all - all blood tests are great so is my blood pressure. I have no sleep issues either. Don't take any medication. I have a desk sitting job but almost every day after work I do something fun for fitness (like aerial hoop, pole fitness, pilates), I tend to exercise with kettle bell every morning, but it looks like I should cut to 3 times a week, weekends are usually active as I have lots of hobbies, mainly kitesurfing and SUP, sometimes land long board, mountain bike - you get the picture, I'm not a lazy couch potato! ;-) I'm about 59 kg and 167 cm.
    I definitely want to look better, slim and low weight does not necessary look good, I'm after lean muscle, kind of slim athletic look.
    My regular diet were all wholegrain stuff (but in moderation to be honest), sweet potato, brown rice, lean meat - chicken and turkey and fish. Once in a blue moon (not even once a month) I may have a lean steak. Lots of fruit and veg - no limits there, I was snacking on fruit all the time! plus no fat diary products like cheese, cottage cheese and yoghurt.
    I used to bake from time to time, but only with brown sugar and using about 1/3 of recommended dose ;-) And that was the only time I would eat sugar from not natural/raw source.
    But now if I'm going to turn to organic pork, use butter, avocados, nuts and other high oil/fat stuff I'm really worrying about my sugar intake. And I have researched this site and other sites for some detailed info but cannot find anything...

oh by the way, it's not carbs I'm worry about - it's sugar!

Personally, I don't think the average person needs to worry about tracking. What's a good amount of fruit for you? I mean, what would you like to eat? Some people do quite well on a few servings/pieces of fruit a day, but it really varies.

It's pretty common that people have a hard time getting their heads around the increased fat intake. I know I did! I definitely recommend reading some books on a primal lifestyle and not just the websites. They get a little more in-depth.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I honestly do not think you will see any difference, unless you are sensitive to fructose (but it doesn't sound so). You simply replace the calories from grains with calories from fats. As for muscular growth, it is highly individual what will give your the biggest bang for your buck, particularly for a female. Some people have more success with a starch and no sugar regimen, some do great on fructose. One of the key muscle growth concept is to eat low fat-high carb on lifting days (basically your previous diet) and high fat/low carb on ye non-lifting days. Some gurus recommend fruit as a carb source, some do not.

So, I would stick with the recommendation to change as little as possible, give it 6-8 weeks and change only if the results are not optimal.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ok, so I have tracked my food consumption yesterday with myfitnesspal:

88g of carbs (mainly veg and fruit, very little diary)

50g of fat - this one looks scary, is it too much on daily basis? (meat, avocado, eggs, butter, very little diary)

79g protein - is it enough? It looks like I eat more carbs than protein, so I presume this is a problem, right? 24g comes from diary, 25g chicken, 15g eggs, 7g organic rashers, 5g avocado, 3g veg/fruit. Should I eat more meat for protein?

45g SUGAR!!! - looks like a lot! It's all natural hidden in mainly fruit, some in veg. banana 14g, two peaches 16g, few strawberries and raspberries 10g, 5g in mixed veg...

How does it look?

Is 30% protein, 30% carbs and 40% fat a right ratio to use in a healthy primal diet?
    Would 30% protein, 25% carbs and 45% fat be better? Or should proportions be different? BTW I'm not counting calories but looking through my food diary it varies from 1100 to 1500 on old diet, yesterday it was almost 1200.
    Last edited by KiteKasia; 07-30-2013 at 03:33 AM.

I think you are worrying a bit too much and I don't think you need to calculate sugar. Read The Primal Blueprint!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast