Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: i'm stopping primal/paleo page

faredoon is offline Member

i'm stopping primal/paleo

Primal Fuel
    hi, i just thought i'd put my case here, just fyi, it may help someone. my decision to stop this lifestyle has come after elevated cholesterol levels. I know this is not considered a valid reason by most folks here, but i choose not to take a risk due to family history of cvd. When i started getting upper chest, neck and chin discomfort, i have decided to call it quits. I think it's a thyroid issue which seems leads to higher cholesterol numbers, but the gp claims the thyroid function test is normal. My dietitian has categorically claimed that low carb diets often lead to muscular problems and has put me back on 'whole grains' and low-gi stuff. Hopefully, all markers should be back on track with some extra carbs. I tend to agree with this opinion at this moment. That's it for now.

Annieh is offline Senior Member

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Umm there's no reason primal has to mean low carb!! Just eat a few more primal carbs before you go back to whole grains! (Okay I get that primal/paleo is not for everyone but your macros aren't determined by anything other than the combination you are feeding your body... One can be high fat low carb paleo/primal or one can be low fat/high carb paleo/primal... There's just no real reason to ditch it and go back to whole grains!!)

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Most people don't feel their heart, and a little change in cholesterol isn't something you feel. Those sound more like anxiety symptoms. It looks like we already know what is causing the anxiety!

The CVD ancestors- what did they look like? What did they eat? What is known about their CVD?

There are some dumb things said on this board- statins are always wrong, high cholesterol is always okay. It is more nuanced than that, but it wouldn't be possible to know without knowing more details about your cholesterol numbers- cholesterol is not just "high" or "low". It makes sense that you feel anxious about this if you do not understand it. The bottom line is that cholesterol numbers in any case are only slightly, at best, related to lifespan. We don't really know much about the details of a bad cholesterol pattern and what it means... But we don't know that you have a bad cholesterol pattern either.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    There's no reason primal has to mean low carb!! Just eat a few more primal carbs before you go back to whole grains.
    I agree, which leads me to believe that the OP did not read "The Primal Blueprint". There is so much more to Primal living than 'whole grains, or no whole grains.'

OP, I am curious how long you were primal, what were your starting/ending chol numbers, and your starting/ending weight? How much exercise do you do?
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    A few things:

1. Low carb can increase triglycerides. Primal/Paleo is not low carb. Check out Perfect Health Diet for some ideas.

2. What is your chol ratio? That's the number that really matters, not total cholesterol or individual LDL.

3. Inflammation causes heart disease not cholesterol

4. How do you FEEL? In the end, it's important to do what feels right to you!
    Wishing you well.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Suspicious post/er

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Suspicious post/er
    Sigh, looks like you are right. Human powered spammer, how old-fashioned.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Legbiter is offline Senior Member

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Sigh, looks like you are right. Human powered spammer, how old-fashioned.
    Dunno but it looks sus.

If I'm right he/she/it is a human powered shit-stirrer.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast