Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: i'm stopping primal/paleo page 4

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by faredoon View Post
    Till cholesterol agnosticism becomes mainstream science, I don't think Paleo/Primal will get credibility.

I like Dean Ornish's statement (not his diet programme) - "If you are on an Atkins-style diet, you are just mortgaging your health".
    You are comparing eating Primal with Atkins? I called you a shit stirrer because you are one. Good luck to you.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

faredoon is offline Member
    Primal/Paleo = Atkins-style (high-saturated fat, sounds familiar?)
    Atkins is more of an umbrella term that Ornish used.

Why the venom?

Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    You are comparing eating Primal with Atkins? I called you a shit stirrer because you are one. Good luck to you.

Last edited by faredoon; 07-29-2013 at 05:46 PM.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Two Interesting statements

peril is offline Senior Member

He's not a shit stirrer. He's genuinely someone who tried but never really accepted the approach. I've been corresponding privately with him. The force was not strong enough in this one. A pity, because the CW advice he is getting (each six times per day, don't eat saturated fats) will not serve him well
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand why people trash the atkins diet...

I did that when I was younger and lost a lot of weight and was basically primal then...Someone said that if I didn't eat sugar and carbs, I would lose weight- I ate a lot of BLT wraps with a slice of turkey as the roll, and tada. I still don't understand the difference, or the enmity.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    He's not a shit stirrer. He's genuinely someone who tried but never really accepted the approach. I've been corresponding privately with him. The force was not strong enough in this one. A pity, because the CW advice he is getting (each six times per day, don't eat saturated fats) will not serve him well
    Good to know. Just did not ring true to me. I like being proven wrong in cases like this. :0) Sad that he is led down the CW path though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    I don't understand why people trash the atkins diet...

I did that when I was younger and lost a lot of weight and was basically primal then...Someone said that if I didn't eat sugar and carbs, I would lose weight- I ate a lot of BLT wraps with a slice of turkey as the roll, and tada. I still don't understand the difference, or the enmity.
    Atkins is fine but so limited in carbs.

Can't help it, really. Obviously, I did not do something right.

I did lose the weight (although I did not need to), but I think lipid markers (according to CW of course) are first priority for me, no matter how good I felt.

Good to know. Just did not ring true to me. I like being proven wrong in cases like this. :0) Sad that he is led down the CW path though.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Not sure how much it's changed over the years, but the main difference was that Atkins was specifically a weight loss diet. Primal addresses a lot of other things like sleep, sourcing good food, playing, getting sun, etc. Their commonality was the low carb approach. Induction on Atkins was very low (maybe 20 gms of carbs?), but after that, it was time to add carbs until each individual found the right balance for continuing to lose.

My mom lost a ton of weight on Atkins practically living on canned tuna and mayonnaise. That's nothing like PB.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Comparing PB and Atkins down to the specifics, of course they are not the same. What Ornish meant to say was that anything that advocates so much saturated fat is a risk. That's CW for you. I don't think CW is completely false.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Not sure how much it's changed over the years, but the main difference was that Atkins was specifically a weight loss diet. Primal addresses a lot of other things like sleep, sourcing good food, playing, getting sun, etc. Their commonality was the low carb approach. Induction on Atkins was very low (maybe 20 gms of carbs?), but after that, it was time to add carbs until each individual found the right balance for continuing to lose.

My mom lost a ton of weight on Atkins practically living on canned tuna and mayonnaise. That's nothing like PB.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast