Thread: Body Composition Tests - Different Results page

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member

Cool Body Composition Tests - Different Results

Primal Fuel
    Hi, All!

I wrote a thread the other day whining about how I had my body composition done on a DEXA machine, which is supposed to be the most accurate, and it told me that I have gained 5.9 pounds of fat and lost 8.5 pounds of muscle since August 2009, when I was at my lightest scale weight and smallest body measurement since starting low carb in March 2009. At that time, it told me I weighed 141.6 pounds with 35.2 body fat. Six months before that, I had weighed 158 pounds with 46% body fat.

My new results the other day said that my new weight was 139 with 40.1% body fat.

I kept thinking that it could not be right, because I am now back down to my low weight, and my low measurements. How could I gain that much fat and lose that much muscle and still be the same size? I wondered how long it has been since my doctor had his DEXA calibrated...

Anyway, I broke down yesterday and drove into the city to have a Bod Pod test done. The trainer told me that they have their machine calibrated regularly.

My results were that I weigh 140.5 (which agrees with my scale at home) and my body fat is 36.5%, not 40.1% like the DEXA said it was. This makes sense to me. It means that since last summer, I have only gained 1.5 pounds of fat (not 5.9) and lost 2.6 pounds of muscle (not 8.5).

Due to my recent illness and surgery, I think it is reasonable to believe the Bod Pod over the DEXA, especially based on my weight and body size.

I'm happy! This means that I can eat more, because my lean mass is 89.2 pounds, and not only 83.3 like the DEXA told me it was! So here is my new plan:

1500 calories
    120g fat (72%)
    80g protein (21.3%) (LBM 89.2 x 0.9)
    25g carbs (6.7%)

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Congrats on the good news! Grok On!

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thanks! I'm feeling much more encouraged to keep on keeping on!