Thread: Body Composition Tests - Different Results page

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member

Cool Body Composition Tests - Different Results

Shop Now
    Hi, All!

I wrote a thread the other day whining about how I had my body composition done on a DEXA machine, which is supposed to be the most accurate, and it told me that I have gained 5.9 pounds of fat and lost 8.5 pounds of muscle since August 2009, when I was at my lightest scale weight and smallest body measurement since starting low carb in March 2009. At that time, it told me I weighed 141.6 pounds with 35.2 body fat. Six months before that, I had weighed 158 pounds with 46% body fat.

My new results the other day said that my new weight was 139 with 40.1% body fat.

I kept thinking that it could not be right, because I am now back down to my low weight, and my low measurements. How could I gain that much fat and lose that much muscle and still be the same size? I wondered how long it has been since my doctor had his DEXA calibrated...

Anyway, I broke down yesterday and drove into the city to have a Bod Pod test done. The trainer told me that they have their machine calibrated regularly.

My results were that I weigh 140.5 (which agrees with my scale at home) and my body fat is 36.5%, not 40.1% like the DEXA said it was. This makes sense to me. It means that since last summer, I have only gained 1.5 pounds of fat (not 5.9) and lost 2.6 pounds of muscle (not 8.5).

Due to my recent illness and surgery, I think it is reasonable to believe the Bod Pod over the DEXA, especially based on my weight and body size.

I'm happy! This means that I can eat more, because my lean mass is 89.2 pounds, and not only 83.3 like the DEXA told me it was! So here is my new plan:

1500 calories
    120g fat (72%)
    80g protein (21.3%) (LBM 89.2 x 0.9)
    25g carbs (6.7%)

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Congrats on the good news! Grok On!

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! I'm feeling much more encouraged to keep on keeping on!