Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, I'm really asking for relationship advice on MDA... page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

Yes, I'm really asking for relationship advice on MDA...

Shop Now
    ...but it's only because this community is full of such intelligent individuals with lots of life experience.

I'm 21 years old and have been dating my boyfriend (relatively long distance) for a year and a half. He is, in my opinion, incredibly needy. He calls three or more times per day, for 30-60 minutes each time. He makes sarcastic comments any time I tell him I'm hanging out with other people. He wants my facebook/email password, although he assures me that it's not because he doesn't trust me. He doesn't have a great relationship with his family, so he depends on me for a lot of his emotional support. He visits every single weekend, and gets upset if I say I need a weekend off -- he says that most couples get to be together every day, so he should at least get the weekend.

Despite all this... he's also very sweet. He tells me all the time that I mean a lot to him, and that he'd marry me tomorrow if I let him. He buys me anything I ask for (although I feel uncomfortable with lavish gifts and don't ask for much). He cares for me when I'm sick and worries about me any time I don't answer the phone.

We met through a mutual friend, but come from very different backgrounds. My family happens to be more wealthy than his. I also happen to be a better student, go to a better school, and have a better job lined up for after graduation. He hasn't made a great impression on my parents -- he's a bit shy around them. They think that he's needy, and that he's looking to me to complete him, because he doesn't have much going on in his own life (his parents are quite absent, he's struggling to find a job after graduation, etc). They believe it's not healthy, and that the relationship is too suffocating.

I don't disagree with them. But every time I think about dumping him, I think that A) I must be crazy to break up with someone who loves me so much, and B) my parents are being snobs and expecting the person I date to be 100% perfect. I also feel incredibly guilty abandoning somebody just because they're down on their luck at the moment -- and I wonder whether things might improve in a year or two, when we live alone together.

I guess I'm looking for some objective evaluations of the situation. Do his behaviors seem like red flags of an unstable person, or is it just a sign that he loves and is committed to me?

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Asking for passwords - huge red flag. I hope he's only done this once and then backed off. If it's a repeated request I'd see that as a reason to break up in and of itself.

I'm a huge fan of the Captain Awkward website for smart thinking about relationships.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    You seem to be an attractive young woman with a good head on her shoulders, and he's insecure about you being "better" than him, or him not living up to you, or however you want to phrase it.

Him wanting your facebook/email password is a VERY BIG red flag, for a couple of reasons.
    1) No matter what he says, it's because he doesn't trust you. Period. End of story.
    2) It reeks of insecurity.

You guys are young, long-distance is tough, and trust me when I say neither one of you knows what you want 100% out of a partner at this point in your life.

This stuff won't get better from his end, unless there's some huge mental change in emotional maturity, which, even being generous here...just won't happen.

Good luck.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Not needy. Clingy control freak. If he can't trust you, then you can't trust him.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    Trust your gut feel. There is doubt and worry there. Trust it. He is not the one for you and you know it already on a certain level. The way you feel has nothing to do with your parents view of him, it's to do with that feeling in your gut.. Listen to your inner being And don't waste time feeling guilty about your decisions.. guilt is a waste of emotional energy

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Not needy. Clingy control freak. If he can't trust you, then you can't trust him.
    clingy control freak with some mental issues

maybe it's just from personal experience, but i'm positive it's gonna get worse. there is no upside unless he has therapy

also, he wants your password so he can look through your messages. depending on his level of self control, he would also remove friends he didn't approve of

yes he's sweet, he's also very insecure and controlling via guilt

and when you live alone together? he'll have more opportunity to control you because you feel bad for the inferiority he feels
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm inclined to agree with your parents, actually. I don't think they are being snobs or looking for your partner to be 100% perfect. I think they are seeing exactly what you are seeing, but not having the emotional attachment, are able to go "this isn't good" -- very clearly.

Personally, I think you should break up with him just because of what *you* have identified, and it might only get more intense in some ways if you are together more. He needs to manage himself (and his insecurities) -- you don't need to manage it for him. And if you continue, you're going to end up managing his anxieties and insecurities. And that's a full time, emotionally draining (and often abusive) job.

Yes, big red flags, so get out now.

Paleobird Guest
    Advice from someone who has been in your shoes at about your age. Drop him like the proverbial hot potato and get on with your life. This kind of behavior does not change with age. It gets worse. You deserve an equal, not a clingy control freak.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    This guy definitely sounds like he has security issues. You should be with someone who will bring out the best in you and inspire you to be the best that you can be. This guy sounds like he will eventually drag you down to his level which is not good for either of you.
    Ignore your parents because nobody will ever be good enough for their daughter, follow your own heart and instincts.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Run, girl, run! Red flags all over the place. He won't get better, he will get worse.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast