Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lunge variations page

seaweed is offline Senior Member

Lunge variations

Primal Fuel
    i love lunges. i do heavy lunges at the gym with a pair of 21-24kg dumbbells so i need to work out some more challenging body weight variations i can do at home. what are your favourite lunge variations, body weight or weighted ?

SamT is offline Junior Member
    I was looking for a good, all-around leg exercise, and lunges are it! I'm going to start using dumbbells soon, but 21kg (roughly 45 pounds) is a bit much for me. I like the cardio of lunges and I'm up to about 25 per leg. As a variation, I hold the lunge (or down) position of the lunge for a second or 2. That really gets the burn and heart rate going for me.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Rear foot elevated split squats (AKA Bulgarian Split Squats) are my favorite single leg exercise.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

i've tried bulgarian squats before and they are doable but relatively hard. i also remembered i do body weight lunges on the beach where you reach over and touch your front toe with your opposite hand. then when you've done 20 or so, you do a sumo squat and crab walk 10 forward and 10 back.

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    put on a 40 pound weight vest and do them! it's tough! or do lunges with 40 pound weight vest and holding something some what heavy above your head. or put some waterbottles or books or something in a back pack and do them.

at home i have a set of 10kg dumbbells, a set of 6kgs, some 5kgs and some 3kgs, 2s, 1s and 500gs. plus 6kg and 4 kg clubbells. i cant afford a weighted vest but then 40lbs is only like 18kgs? and i do have a diving belt. it isnt anywhere near 18kgs or i would sink forever to the bottom of the sea but i could poss combine it with some dumbbells.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i love lunges.
    Has anyone told you that you are a sick woman! lol.....

Has anyone told you that you are a sick woman! lol.....
    strangely enuf. NO!!! lol lunges are easy which is why i love them. everyone jumps up and down and raves about how cool i can do such big weights and i sorta wonder what is wrong with them if they cant. it is really only my arms and grip that give out holding 48kgs of dumbbells for 20 lunges. everyone is looking so i cant be doing it wrong. and other stuff i dont find that easy, as in i have to work my ass off to deadlift even 70kgs. so yeah. have to have a party trick.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    strangely enuf. NO!!! lol lunges are easy which is why i love them. everyone jumps up and down and raves about how cool i can do such big weights and i sorta wonder what is wrong with them if they cant. it is really only my arms and grip that give out holding 48kgs of dumbbells for 20 lunges. everyone is looking so i cant be doing it wrong. and other stuff i dont find that easy, as in i have to work my ass off to deadlift even 70kgs. so yeah. have to have a party trick.
    lunges kick my a$$....... and you enjoy them, you sick puppy you!

i think we have discussed love of pain before lol i did some today with a pair of 10kg dumbbells as they were the heaviest weights i had and did the touching the opposite front toe with the dumbbell. that was on a par with the 24kgs dumbbells and normal lunges. curtsey lunges are good fun too. i have found the trick with lunges in general is, as with riding a motorcycle, look where you want to go. also keep your core engaged. both these help with balance i reckon. then the rest is just keeping hold of the weight for the time duration.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast