Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for full fat yogurt in Alberta page

Metismomma is offline Senior Member

Looking for full fat yogurt in Alberta

Primal Fuel
    Any ideas? I use the Balkan style yogurt, its 6% m.f and minimal ingredients but its made with skim milk! WTH? I know that FAGE isn't available here, is there anything similar around or do I need to try to make my own?

(I've looked around at the 2 grocery stores here and its almost ALL no-fat,low-fat blah blah blah )
    Calm the f**k down.

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    I live in Edmonton and have searched high and low to come up with Liberte Yogurt Baltic Style that is sold at Planet Organic. It says on the package that it is 'set style' and has 6% m.f. with 7g of sugar, made with milk ingredients and bacterial culture.

I found others that have much higher m.f.% but are made with extra ingredients and with higher sugar contents so I settled on this one.

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    not a plug but the Astro original Balkan style natural yogurt only has 3g of sugar(skim milk,cream active bacterial culture) found at Extra foods. 7 carbs per serving. Apparently not as creamy as FAGE :/ Your suggestion is supposed to be closer.
    I did find this website, not sure if I'll be able to find it around here. Well maybe if I headed to Red Deer
    www.skotidakis.com
    Have you found any good yogurts in Costco?
    Calm the f**k down.

Pokiey is offline Junior Member
    I'm in BC and the Astro is what I buy as well, I love it and could easily eat an entire tub in one sitting! Olympic brand sells a greek style 'Krema' (I think it's called) with a much higher fat content (11% I think), but also higher sugar than the Astro. Not sure if its available in Alberta though, I've never seen it until I moved out here.

suechef is offline Member
    I love the Liberte, my fave (much cheaper not at Planet Organic). Also, Save-on sells big square tubs of organic yogurt which is absolutely amazing if you drain it through cheesecloth - closest thing I've had to the yogurt you buy in Greece. You could also try the Greek store just a block or two west of Chinatown downtown, they certainly used to carry real Greek yogurt.

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat much yogurt anymore, but use Fairwinds farms goat yogurt when I do. Although it has tapioca starch in it (HUH???), I can't imagine that it's very much. The upside is that it has 0g sugar (though 4g or 5g carb) per 175ml serving. Doesn't have that really nice creamy flavour/texture, but I've done the cheesecloth thing with it, and that made it nice and thick. May scope out a Greek grocer sometime (if anyone has a Calgary recommendation where they carry really good yogurt, please let me know). Liberte also makes a nice goat yogurt, but it's higher in carbs due to - get this - fibre! It's got inulin in it, which is a prebiotic. My mouth really likes it, but my tummy ... not so much.

Vital Greens makes an amazing sheep's milk yogurt, but the carb content is very high. Read that sheep's milk is higher in lactose, too, which is likely why I had a tough time stopping eating it!

If you have the time/inclination to make your own, go for it! It's likely cheaper in the long-run -- here's a paleo blog that might help with it (though I'm sure there are others) http://blog.modernpaleo.com/2010/05/...-tutorial.html -- the bonus about this blog, though, is that our good friend Karl MacPhee is noted on it!

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    I've always had trouble finding full-fat yogurt. My local Trader Joe's only has one that doesn't also include gobs of sugar. Fage kinda frustrates me. I see their 0% and 2% plain yogurts everywhere, but the only full-fat ones I can find are flavored.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    You can find the Krema style at Planet Organic, but I stopped buying it and chose the Liberte. I think it was because Liberte used less ingredients and the Krema has higher sugar? I think. It certainly has higher fat which is why I started to buy it and the taste is the same as the Liberte.

alexa85 is offline Senior Member
    i live in mobile, al nowhere near ya'll i'm sure, but i have the same trouble with fage. i can find the total at one of our stores called fresh market. but, due to convenience i never shop there. one of our chain grocery stores winn dixie carries cabot yogurt. they make a whole greek yogurt and it is available every time i grocery shop. so i've switched to that one. it's cheaper than fage and comes in a larger container. eventhough it's not as creamy as fage total it's more readily available. you may look for that brand. i've tried the greek god yogurt and there's another brand that i can't think of right now, but they mostly have the flavored types.
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

syzchan is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Liberte sells a 18% plain yogurt (with if I recall correctly, about 6-8g of total carbs per serving) that's available in Canada. I've found it in Vancouver, Toronto and Kingston. Usually health/organic stores are the ones that sell it so I would go looking around. It also helps to ask the people who work there if you see that they already carry the Liberte line. The local health/organic store in Kingston didn't have the 18% one, but after I asked about it, they said it's usually not a problem for them to order it as part of their regular order and few weeks later, they started carrying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast