Thread: BCAA - do they make a difference? page

Alykat is offline Member

BCAA - do they make a difference?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do they give more muscle definition even if I stay with my current weight lifting regime?
    *thats what I'm looking to get from using them ;-)

Will it even help with muscle definition from sprinting exercises or just weight lifting?

When have you found the best time to take them and do you go off body weight for the amount you take?

Does it help with burn off unneeded insulation?
    :-)
    Thank you!!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Probably not much.

There may be some use for them if you train fasted, but they're not anything special. This is assuming that you get your daily protein requirements without them.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

aknomad is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating enough animal protein, the added BCAAs are not going to give you anything that you don't already have/are getting. BCAAs are more important for those who are on an extreme deficit and lifting heavy (wanting to keep muscle mass) or a low protein diet (such as vegan, vegetarian, ect). BCAAs are irrelevant to muscle definition. Fat loss and body percentage determines definition.

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    They make a difference to your bank balance. I don't believe they have an amazing performance benefit, so long as you're consuming adequate protein.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a big fan of supplements but I invested in some. I take them before and after lifting as well as some high GI food like dates to activate protein synthesis via the mTOR pathway. Branched-Chain Amino Acids Activate Key Enzymes in Protein Synthesis after Physical Exercise As you get older you need all of the help you can get.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

George_H is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alykat View Post
    Do they give more muscle definition even if I stay with my current weight lifting regime?
    *thats what I'm looking to get from using them ;-)

Will it even help with muscle definition from sprinting exercises or just weight lifting?

When have you found the best time to take them and do you go off body weight for the amount you take?

Does it help with burn off unneeded insulation?
    :-)
    Thank you!!
    Most of the time I've heard of BCAAs being used is for muscle sparing regimens regarding intermittent fasting. If your workout in a fasted state, you take them one or two hours (during your fast) before you train, then you train (in a fasted state) and then you eat your post workout meal.
    I used to take them but figured they made little difference and cost a lot of money. I lost 20 pounds and got more definition by just stopping eating grains and for the most part ate meat and vegetables. The BCAAs didn't help with definition--didn't hurt it either but I'm not wasting money in that particular way any more.

ryan985 is offline Junior Member
    I workout in a fasted state and consume BCAAs during the workout. I think it helps.

yidaguanai is offline Junior Member
    I don't believe they have an amazing performance benefit, so long as you're consuming adequate protein.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    BCAA's are useful for muscle protein synthesis. If you want to be more defined, you can grow more muscle and obscure it with less adipose tissue. BCAA's may help with the former (unless you're already getting adequate quantities of the BCAA's through other protein sources, such as whey, in which case they won't do much of anything for you), but not the latter.
    The Champagne of Beards