Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetables page

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member

Vegetables

First time posting on the forum, so forgive me if this question has been asked already.

When I was younger, I ate vegetables a fair amount. Sometime around the age of 7 or 8, I shunned vegetables completely (I blame a palate with a taste for processed foods). Since then, I have a very difficult time eating even one serving of vegetables a day. I started the primal lifestyle (a week ago) by jumping in at about 95%, no carbs, but I need cashews and almonds for snacks. I'm definitely open to trying new things, and I'm really excited about the primal lifestyle and what it can do for me and my health.

Back to the issue, eating vegetables. The majority of greens are a no go. My palate just doesn't accept them, I've tried eating salad a few times and gag when I do. I've also tried guacamole, it was awful (to me). I enjoy the tastes of a lot of the more colorful vegetables, but don't enjoy the texture (though how different is an apple to a raw pepper in texture?). I know it's mostly psychological, and I'm trying what I can to start eating more veggies. I'm just curious as to the ramifications of starting this diet, and not eating 6-12 servings of vegetables a day.

Any information is greatly appreciated, thanks

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    maybe try chop them up super small or mince them to hide them in meat? my husband very finely chops onions, spinach and mushrooms and stuffs tri-tip roasts with the mixture before bbq'ing. its really good that way, almost like your eating stuffing, all the meat flavours mixed in.
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

tabithatoes is offline Member
    Hi there!

Are you trying to lose weight the primal way? I'm no expert, but Mark recommends making vegetables the bulk of your carbohydrate intake, along with some fruit. If you're keeping your carbs super low, then it really shouldn't take many servings of veggies or fruits to meet your requirement.

For example, I ate 1 cup spinach, 1 large carrot, and a cup of broccoli today along with a handful of blueberries, an apple, and a dozen cherries. All of that still amounts to less than 50g carbs!

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalgal View Post
    maybe try chop them up super small or mince them to hide them in meat? my husband very finely chops onions, spinach and mushrooms and stuffs tri-tip roasts with the mixture before bbq'ing. its really good that way, almost like your eating stuffing, all the meat flavours mixed in.
    I'll have to give that a shot. I can do veggies if they're in small pieces; peppers, onions, tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by tabithatoes View Post
    Hi there!

Are you trying to lose weight the primal way? I'm no expert, but Mark recommends making vegetables the bulk of your carbohydrate intake, along with some fruit. If you're keeping your carbs super low, then it really shouldn't take many servings of veggies or fruits to meet your requirement.

For example, I ate 1 cup spinach, 1 large carrot, and a cup of broccoli today along with a handful of blueberries, an apple, and a dozen cherries. All of that still amounts to less than 50g carbs!
    I understand that. Aside from when I have a serving of Bolthouse Farms C-Boost in the morning (36g of carbs/serving) my carb intake floats around 50-65g a day. Tracking my food through FitDay, I'm having trouble eating more than 1,500 calories a day. So even without exercise, I'm burning over 2,000 calories a day. I'm just concerned that, since I'm not eating really any vegetables at all, that I will be skipping a lot of nutrients that will help my body adjust to the PB lifestyle, and possibly hinder my weight loss. Any input on that?

Sue991 is offline Member
    How about starting off by making vegetable soup? That way you can get used to the flavours before you have to deal with the texture. You'll still get the nutrition without the hassle. I'm not keen on vegetables but have started making myself a lot of different vegetable soups and find it suits me well.

By the way, butternut squash soup with some garlic and chilli in is lovely!
    Last edited by Sue991; 05-29-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Additional info.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Green smoothies are a really easy way to get veggies in, but *can* be carb heavy (only matters if you're avoiding carbs.) If you google green smoothies, you'll find LOTS of recipes and ideas. My favorite blend currently is:

5 strawberries, 1/4 of a banana, 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk and approx. 1/2 cup water, a dash vanilla extract, a pinch stevia (not paleo/primal, can do w/out), and one cup of spinach. Blend until smooth (and it might take a minute or so in a crappy blender like mine--great blenders which cost LOTS of money can do it much more quickly...)

My ds loves this one: 1/8 cup raspberries, 1/4 cup cherries, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 banana, 1 cup any greens, the same amount of coconut milk and water, plus vanilla and stevia.

I use frozen berries in mine unless they are in season and available fresh. Mmmm! Sometimes when/if I don't feel like eating anything, it's a helpful way to get more greens in, and is easier to just sip down than eating a meal. Can go well with eggs and bacon for a really filling breakfast!

Oh, and one other thought. When my son was picker as a littler one, I would puree a bunch of veggies and put them in tomato sauce or chili or any kind of sauce you make and put on stuff. You could do a veggie puree and flavor it w/ your fave spices and use it as a dipping sauce or marinade for meat...Just some thoughts!

HTH!

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    I eat the veggies with the meat in the same mouthful. I have the same problem with some veggies. there has to be some form of meat involved.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    If you want, you can just ditch the vegetables altogether and make sure you are getting enough nutrients from meat and organs. If you have problem eating organ meats, too, then I can't help you..
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    If you want, you can just ditch the vegetables altogether and make sure you are getting enough nutrients from meat and organs. If you have problem eating organ meats, too, then I can't help you..
    i knew you were going to say that! I love it. You got me on organ meats, now btw. I never would have bought chicken livers, but I didnt know they had so many nutrients till I kept seeing your posts about it. And, of course, they are friggin delicious, i love them.

However I really think the only veg one should actively try to consume at least 2-3 times per week is dark green leafys and cruciferous veg including broccoli.
    Do you make protein smoothies? Add a cup of steamed spinach to the next one you make. Aside from a pretty light green tint , you really cant taste it.

But dont beat yourself up about not eating veg at every meal. Grok didnt always have a nice side salad at every meal, so dont worry.

Also, drown them in butter. This makes a lot of things palatable

Mahewa is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    5 strawberries, 1/4 of a banana, 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk and approx. 1/2 cup water, a dash vanilla extract, a pinch stevia (not paleo/primal, can do w/out), and one cup of spinach. Blend until smooth (and it might take a minute or so in a crappy blender like mine--great blenders which cost LOTS of money can do it much more quickly...)

HTH!
    Thank you for that one, I love it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast