Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High protein cause inflammation for me page

James77 is offline Junior Member

High protein cause inflammation for me

Primal Fuel
    Just looking for thoughts on this. I am not saying that a high protein diet causes inflammation, but it seems to for me.

About 3 or4 years ago, I was struggling losing weight, and went to a fish only and vegetable, where I dropped about 40 pounds in a few months. I maintained that eating for a while, and soon developed swollen joints. I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis. Right prior to medication(biologics) I was at the point of total pain and limping. I have no idea if a high protein diet brought it out, or if it was just going to happen anyways.

Soooo....

Even with medication now, I find if I eat a lot of protein I ache the next day. For example, I went through a grilled burger phase, and had horrible aching after several days. It went away upon cutting out meat. I have had similar when I eat large amounts of chicken, fish I am not sure as I have kind of been sick of it since my initial weight loss. The other night I ate a rib eye, and woke achy. When I eat strictly vegetables for a few days, I feel great.

I have gained most the weight back, through grains and beer...I have had a bit of a rough year and that kind of crap happens. I absolutely LOVE high protein and meats, but it causes aches in me. I am starting up tomorrow high vegetable and light fish just to get me off the stupid grains. I am just wondering what anyone's thoughts are on it.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Too much of one type of protein, eat more gelatin and cheese
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

I'll say gelatin is one approach I have not even explored at all....I am looking into it now

I think in order to actually be really primal, you have to eat the entire animal. Muscle meats, and other cuts contain too many of the pro-inflammatory amino acids. Amino acid balance is key.

Cheese has lots of calcium that helps to turn the pro-inflammatory aminos(tryptophan) into b3 instead of the alternative(serotonin)

It does make sense. I research a lot, and I am surprised I never came across or never explored gelatin. I am going to give it a shot, either through grass fed gelatin supplements, or making my own bone broth if that fails or becomes too expensive. I love cheese, but avoid it mostly from the high salt. I tend to have little self control, and can easily gobble up tons of anything. I am going to add it back in as well...the market near me will sell it by the teaspoonful for the higher end stuff if I want, so I can limit myself that way. Nothing like some dank, nasty butt blue cheese!

Thanks for your input
    Last edited by James77; 07-27-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Salt is good for you, don't worry about that.

Knox is a brand of powder gelatin I use, with a higher glycine content than others. It's also dirt cheap. Bone broth is definitely good too, and can be used as a vehicle for well cooked kale.

NP, gl friend.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Slow cook cheap cuts of meat with bones for gelatin. Fish head curry, oxtail soup, lamb shanks ... So many ways you can save money and get better quality protein. About to tuck into some fish head curry now
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there is any comparison between a high grain + rib eye day and a zero grain + rib eye day. One is going to create a lot of oxidated by-products and one isn't. Fat in the present of high starch is very different from fat without that. Protein in the presence of high insulin is different. And a whole rib eye is doesnt fit on a healthy eating day for me ever, though I am a woman- it is just too much food in one sitting.

So I do believe that a rib eye might increase your pain, but I think it takes larger diet issues to cause it.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I don't think there is any comparison between a high grain + rib eye day and a zero grain + rib eye day. One is going to create a lot of oxidated by-products and one isn't. Fat in the present of high starch is very different from fat without that. Protein in the presence of high insulin is different. And a whole rib eye is doesnt fit on a healthy eating day for me ever, though I am a woman- it is just too much food in one sitting.

So I do believe that a rib eye might increase your pain, but I think it takes larger diet issues to cause it.
    My initial bout with the inflammation was at a point where I still had no grains in my diet...though I may have been going overboard on the meats. I am not sure if this disease came about on its own and high protein affects it, or if the high protein had a role in starting it. I would think the prior.

The whole ribeye would be about 3/4 of a pound, though I was doing more ground grass fed beef when the inflammation started.

My new approach is going to be much higher vegetable intake, wild or grass fed meats in moderation, and maybe morning smoothies consisting of almond or coconut milk, wild berries, and now gelatin. I need to cut out the grains and beer.....a bad habit that has redeveloped from a whacked out year. I have not been gorging on grains, pizza is my weakness....a slice or slice and a half at night. But that was the same thing that was holding me up 3-4 years ago...its easy to say "but I only have 1/2 serving of grains a day!"

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Slow cook cheap cuts of meat with bones for gelatin. Fish head curry, oxtail soup, lamb shanks ... So many ways you can save money and get better quality protein. About to tuck into some fish head curry now
    Will look into all of this as well.....a fresh start again. You are kind of losing me on the sounds of that fish head curry soup though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast