Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up dairy page

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member

Giving up dairy

Primal Fuel
    I'm thinking of giving up dairy, at least for awhile, and I guess I'd just like to hear from those who have done it--how you did it, what are some good substitutions, did it improve your health, etc..

The main reason is because I have sinus problems, along with a few other minor issues, and I want to see if cutting out dairy will help. Also, I've hit a bit of a wall with my weight loss, so giving up dairy is one of a couple of new things I want to try (along with exercising more, and cheating less).

I bought a can of coconut milk, for putting in my coffee--it tastes kind of odd to me. Not bad, just ... kind of weird. Hopefully I'll get used to it--haven't tried it in coffee yet, just opened it and took a couple of sips. I'm also gonna try making coconut butter (using this method: 10 Tips for Making the Best Coconut Butter Ever | Mark's Daily Apple) since I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Cheese has been my go-to food a lot lately because I don't have much time to cook and prepare meals (plus I just love the stuff). Hard-boiled eggs come to mind as a decent substitute (I do try to cook some things ahead of time on the weekends).

So yah, any ideas, concerns, support, etc., would be appreciated.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I just dropped dairy today too. I made sort of a bulletproof coffee this morning and it was really good. I really like heavy cream or even half and half in coffee, I have to have a creamy taste. So I used coconut milk but also coconut oil for the fat, and put them in a blender with my coffee. Blended together, they made a creamy coffee with nice froth on top. Use refined coconut oil unless you want your coffee to taste like coconuts.

Good luck!
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    What kind of dairy are you consuming? Commercial dairy? Have you tried raw milk, goat or sheeps milk/cream/cheese/yogurt from a local farm? You may find they don't cause you any issues.

Other than that, I use coconut milk in my coffee, either canned or homemade and love it. It's an acquired taste for sure!

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Yes I have given up dairy. If I couldn't have coconut cream/milk I would cry I use it whenever I would use milk or cream, both my husband and myself actually now have a preference for it in our coffee, and I have it on fruit and make yogurt and icecream with it. Milky puddings etc were a total staple for me. I never really felt well on cheese although I really liked it. After taking it out of my diet my constant sinus congestion and headaches cleared up, my eczema and some stomach issues. I am actually casein allergic, not just lactose intolerant. I tried having it again recently in the form of yogurt, but as well as sinuses, I really flared up badly with Keratosis pilaris on my arms.

You will find out pretty quickly I think if it is necessary for you to give it the old heave ho.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    I just dropped dairy today too. I made sort of a bulletproof coffee this morning and it was really good. I really like heavy cream or even half and half in coffee, I have to have a creamy taste. So I used coconut milk but also coconut oil for the fat, and put them in a blender with my coffee. Blended together, they made a creamy coffee with nice froth on top. Use refined coconut oil unless you want your coffee to taste like coconuts.

Good luck!
    Heh, interesting coincidence. Good luck to you too! I do have the refined coconut oil that has no flavor, tho I don't really wanna bother with a blender in the morning. I think the coconut milk might be okay in coffee--I'll find out tomorrow morning. It doesn't have a bad taste by itself, just a strong one, and I guess I've never had unsweetened coconut before, so I think I was subconsciously expecting it to be sweet. I only plan to use maybe a tablespoon or so in my coffee, which I add sweetener to, so hopefully I'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    What kind of dairy are you consuming? Commercial dairy? Have you tried raw milk, goat or sheeps milk/cream/cheese/yogurt from a local farm? You may find they don't cause you any issues.

Other than that, I use coconut milk in my coffee, either canned or homemade and love it. It's an acquired taste for sure!
    Yes, commercial dairy--mostly cheese, cream for my coffee, and butter. I'm not really sure where I'd get local dairy products, and I probably couldn't afford it anyway. I'd rather just take an all-or-nothing approach right now.

I can believe that coconut milk is an acquired taste--it's definitely unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    Yes I have given up dairy. If I couldn't have coconut cream/milk I would cry I use it whenever I would use milk or cream, both my husband and myself actually now have a preference for it in our coffee, and I have it on fruit and make yogurt and icecream with it. Milky puddings etc were a total staple for me. I never really felt well on cheese although I really liked it. After taking it out of my diet my constant sinus congestion and headaches cleared up, my eczema and some stomach issues. I am actually casein allergic, not just lactose intolerant. I tried having it again recently in the form of yogurt, but as well as sinuses, I really flared up badly with Keratosis pilaris on my arms.

You will find out pretty quickly I think if it is necessary for you to give it the old heave ho.
    Yeah, I've had bad sinuses for years--I'm always having to clear my throat and I end up getting a bad-cold/sinus-infection/flu-like-thing several times in a year. Although, I've only gotten sick one or MAYBE two times this year since I've cut out carbs, sugar, and wheat, but the gunk in my throat hasn't cleared up, so I figure this is the next step.

(Red Dwarf)

Cat804 is offline Junior Member
    I dropped it for a Whole30 this month. I did keep ghee since it doesn't have milk solids. Instead of butter for cooking I'll use ghee, olive oil, or coconut oil. I don't drink much milk, but almond milk is a decent sub. I've been drinking coffee black, but today tried coconut cream (from Sprouts) blended with cold brewed coffee, and it was pretty tasty. For cheesy flavor I hear you can use nutritional yeast. Instead of cheese though I mostly eat avocado. Oh, and homemade coconut butter is really good- I used flakes and 20mn in a food processor, but really it's more of a substitute for peanut butter for me than it is for dairy. It's amazing on sweet potatoes or with berries!

The whole30 thing has gotten me over a plateau I'd been at, but I don't now if it was the dairy or one of the other changes that came with it.

Good point about ghee--I guess if I end up really missing butter, I'll make some (I'm already wondering what I'm gonna put on my steamed carrots--I may actually make some tomorrow at this rate =P).

And thanks for reminding me about avocado--I need to keep more of that around.

(Red Dwarf)

tcseacliff is offline Senior Member
    Holy crap! not two hours ago , I made a comment to my sister that I think my next move will be get rid of my dairy. I had some mozzella chesse and my nosr was running and mucus in my throat/. same with sleeping at night. and i did have a bread cheat today , which, also might be gluten, not sure. I too have plateaued on my weight loss, have to try stuff! good luck!

LOL, great minds and all that. Good luck to you too!

(Red Dwarf)

Paleobird Guest
    I came to the same idea recently. I jsut finished up the last of my cheese stash a few days ago so I've been dairy free since Tuesday. I had dropped it originally when I started Primal but then added back in "the good stuff" such as raw milk kefir and aged cheeses.

Have you read the "dairy manifesto" over at the Whole9 site? It is very interesting and got me to thinking about the hormonal aspect of dairy. Even if one doesn't have digestive issues with it, it is still hormonally designed to make a baby cow grow and put on weight.
    I can see that being a good addition to your diet if you were trying to put on mass but , for the rest of us who could do with a little less mass, I think it is counterproductive.

Even if the hormonal aspect is not yet proven science, I still think that it is worth cutting it out for a while to see. It is just too easy to overeat even when not actually hungry. If you are no longer hungry and eating meat, you will stop. The WHole9 people refer to foods like cheese and nuts as "foods with no brakes". I thought that was apt.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast