Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Giving up dairy page 8

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    A dairy cow - even a pastured one - is living an abnormal life. There is nothing primal about being hooked up to a machine and having buckets of milk pumped out of you every day - left to their own devices cows simply do no produce milk in that quantity or frequency.

I like/love butter and cream, and use them in small quantities. But let's not kid ourselves - virtually all dairy, even pasture-fed dairy, is a factory food and does not fit any meaningful definition of "primal".

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ToldUzo View Post
    According to this, humans produce more IGF-1 growth hormones themselves than there is in the milk we consume:
    Can the hormones in milk affect breast cancer? : Cancer Research UK : CancerHelp UK

Besides, it seemes like everything can/will be 'debunked' and then the debunked things get debunked...Every-damn-THING. So frustrating - but also kind of liberating!
    Interesting article but even it was pretty equivocal:

IGF-1 (insulin growth factor 1). This growth factor has recently been the subject of a research study into breast cancer risk. Women with high levels of IGF-1 in their blood may have a higher risk of breast cancer. Some scientists think that high IGF-1 levels may also encourage an existing breast cancer to spread, but this has not been proved. There are also reports of increased risk of colon cancer with high IGF-1 levels. But we don't know if the high IGF-1 levels come from milk and dairy products in the diet, or from some other cause.
    As long as there is doubt like this, I think erring on the side of caution is a good thing particularly for those of us with other risk factors.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Well, just weighed myself again, and did the math--I've lost 2 lbs this week! If I can keep this up, I'll be back on track in no time.

I don't know if it's giving up dairy that did it, necessarily, or maybe just the fact that cheese has a lot of calories (I also did three of the PB Fitness exercises once and did some sprinting, along with my daily walking sessions, which probably didn't hurt). But either way, yay ^.^

I bought 3 avocados at the store, and plan to hard boil a lot of eggs, along with making coconut butter and ghee, so I should have lots of substitutes on hand.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Paleobird Guest
    I had some cheese for the first time in a couple of weeks last night at a friend's house (feta already in the salad). This morning my sinuses feel all stuffy. Hmmm. Interesting test.

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I had some cheese for the first time in a couple of weeks last night at a friend's house (feta already in the salad). This morning my sinuses feel all stuffy. Hmmm. Interesting test.
    That is strange, feta should be made of goat and might have sheep milk. Looks like you are not only intolerant to cow milk or the feta wasn't real feta.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paleodutch View Post
    That is strange, feta should be made of goat and might have sheep milk. Looks like you are not only intolerant to cow milk or the feta wasn't real feta.
    Both are possible.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleodutch View Post
    About 1/2 the feta in my grocery stores is cow's milk, so not real. I don't think most people know the difference though.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I have to weigh in here. I'm Greek. Most Greeks consider the best Feta to be made from 100% sheep's milk. That is how my Papou (GF) made it. Sometimes it is 70% sheep and 30% goat. Sometimes 100% goat (dont tell anyone but I like goat feta). Feta made with cow's milk is not feta.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Actually didn't know that about feta, that's interesting.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I always buy goat or sheep feta but I can't vouch for my friend who is on a tight budget. Maybe the cow "feta" is cheaper.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast