Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up dairy page 4

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Looks good, Cyborcat! The coconut milk yogurt was gross, by the way. Gak.

I think giving up dairy might lead to giving up caffeine, which I've been wanting to do anyway.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    As for calcium - I guess the answer will have to be a helluva lot of green leafy stuff, almonds, brazil nuts, sardines and fortified soy products.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    fortified soy products
    i accidentally had some soy milk in something a while back. i think maybe someone mismade me a latte with it. and OMG gag lol i have no clue how i used to drink it way back in the day. i used to work with a man from hong kong who used to drink soy milk occasionally. i asked him about how it is drunk in asia and he said much as we drink coke. and i think he meant as an occasional thing not an every day drink by that.

in terms of calcium, give me bone broth any day over soy milk and that's poss even in my lattes !

ETA: if your teeth are decalcifying i reckon look at the phosphorus : mag :ca ratio in your diet. too much phosphorus especially can push out calcium absorption.
    Last edited by seaweed; 07-28-2013 at 02:44 PM.

It's hilarious watching people get skinny soy lattes in the cafe's. I just roll my eyes and get on with it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    I think giving up dairy might lead to giving up caffeine, which I've been wanting to do anyway.
    Coconut milk kefir is pretty good. Never tried the yoghurt. Giving up the caffeine would be a great idea. Try some of this stuff.Barley-Free Dandelion Flavors | Teeccino Herbal Coffee / Coffee Alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    As for calcium - I guess the answer will have to be a helluva lot of green leafy stuff, almonds, brazil nuts, sardines and fortified soy products.
    Soy!?!? Gak! How about some bone broth and some meat instead?

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i accidentally had some soy milk in something a while back. i think maybe someone mismade me a latte with it. and OMG gag lol i have no clue how i used to drink it way back in the day.

in terms of calcium, give me bone broth any day over soy milk and that's poss even in my lattes !

ETA: if your teeth are decalcifying i reckon look at the phosphorus : mag :ca ratio in your diet. too much phosphorus especially can push out calcium absorption.
    This.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Looks very much to me that you are very sensitive to the cow milk protein. Did you ever come across the book "Devil in the Milk" by Keith Woodford ? A very interesting read. You will learn about the beta-casomorphin peptide BCM7 and the A1 vs A2 beta-casein found in different cow breeds. Goat / sheep / camel and some cow breeds (Guernsey, Jersey, african and asian without european ancestry) are the A2 type and it looks very much like this type does not trigger health issues linked to dairy products. The A1 type comes from a genetic mutation that happened in Europe some thousands of years ago and happens to be the most commercialized type, at least in the developed world, save for some exceptions like France which only considers the A2 type for cheese production.

Anyway, you may want to experiment if you have access to A2 only milk / dairy products.
    That does sound interesting...... I would love to be able to have some milk products again. I lived in Guernsey for a few years love it there. Don't think I can get Guernsey, Jersey etc. milk here though. But worth trying.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post

Have you tried homemade? it is way better than the weird stuff you buy.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

Soy!?!? Gak! How about some bone broth and some meat instead?
    Just kidding. I don't think I've had soy, 'cept that time when I naively ate Tofu for a week

Per one cup of Milk, you can find about 300mg of calcium.
    One ounce of almonds has about 80mg.
    Per 20 g of beef offal, there's about 3mg of Calcium.

So obviously dairy wins, but I reckon you'll be fine if you like eating green leafy things, nuts or as PB says, Broth(which you should be consuming anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    That does sound interesting...... I would love to be able to have some milk products again. I lived in Guernsey for a few years love it there. Don't think I can get Guernsey, Jersey etc. milk here though. But worth trying.
    Problem with milk is the US is that unless it's Whole Milk, they add extra vitamins to it. The is not a good thing. The A1/A2 debate is also problematic, and Raw is outlawed as far as I can tell. We don't have these issues in England thankfully, so it's far easier to buy grass-fed milk with nothing else in it, and easy to get unhomogenised stuff.

Raw milk however, is so expensive it's barely worth it. 18/$27 for 6 pints/3.5 quarts. I think with Dairy that the main point is that their grass fed, over pasteurised.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Raw milk varies by state here. In some it's totally legal. In some you can buy it for your pets. In some it's totally illegal. Then there's all kinds of minutiae. In one state you can buy it from the farm, but the farm can only advertise with a sign on the land, and it can't have more than nine cows. (Some legislators were surely trying to justify their salaries with that piece of garbage.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast