Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbohydrate Requirements - How much do you need? page

canuck416 is offline Senior Member

Carbohydrate Requirements - How much do you need?

Primal Fuel
    Assessing carbohydrate requirements is a constant topic on in this forum, with much back and forth between those advocating a ketogenic approach to those embracing a much higher carb macro level. Although this is not a Paleo focused article it does provide some interesting and balanced information on body carb requirements based on your individual lifestyle and goals. As many of you know we do not technically need to eat carbohydrates as our bodies can manufacture them. Lactate and pyruvate (produced from glucose metabolism), glycerol (from fat metabolism) and some amino acids are used in this process. It’s the amino acid use that can be problematic since they have to come from somewhere. Hopefully this article will help you make an informed choice as to what will work best for you in your journey to better health and fitness.

How Many Carbohydrates Do You Need | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    Last edited by canuck416; 07-27-2013 at 01:38 PM.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Great article.

I constantly cite Lyle's stuff here as he's probably the most knowledgeable individual in the field of nutrition. If everyone would take a few hours and read all of his articles, they'll have a better understanding of nutrition than most professionals.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I am currently getting half my energy calories as carbs and half as fat. At some time in the near future I will vary that ratio to see what effect it has on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I am currently getting half my energy calories as carbs and half as fat. At some time in the near future I will vary that ratio to see what effect it has on anything.
    That's interesting eKatherine. So what are your macros including protein? Do you alter your macros depending on your training?

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Great article.

I constantly cite Lyle's stuff here as he's probably the most knowledgeable individual in the field of nutrition. If everyone would take a few hours and read all of his articles, they'll have a better understanding of nutrition than most professionals.
    Agreed, there are some great links to previous articles in his post.
    Last edited by canuck416; 07-27-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    I thought that was a nicely presented and very well balanced article. It's didn't have a drum to beat in terms of keto for everyone or stuffing with potatoes for everyone. It took the "It depends" route and then laid out all the possible ways that the "it depends" can play out and the different carb levels for each.

Next time the carb wars start up around here (and you know they will), would somebody please just cite this article and stop things before they get unfriendly?

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

Next time the carb wars start up around here (and you know they will), would somebody please just cite this article and stop things before they get unfriendly?
    Hear, hear.

EggGirl is offline Member
    Thank you so much for posting this. I am in the learning phase after losing a lot of weight in a pretty unhealthy way. I thought it was good at this time. This kind of info is very valuable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by EggGirl View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this. I am in the learning phase after losing a lot of weight in a pretty unhealthy way. I thought it was good at this time. This kind of info is very valuable to me.
    Glad you found it informative EggGirl. You'll see a lot of back and forth on the Forum regarding macros, everyone is different and needs to follow the path that works best for them, a lot of trial and error. Hopefully this helps.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I thought that was a nicely presented and very well balanced article. It's didn't have a drum to beat in terms of keto for everyone or stuffing with potatoes for everyone. It took the "It depends" route and then laid out all the possible ways that the "it depends" can play out and the different carb levels for each.

Will do PB. The 'my way or the highway, the rest of you are idiots' attitude of some is a little tiresome.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast