Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Owen's wild food adventures page

Owen is offline Senior Member

Owen's wild food adventures

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been eating wild food since this spring. Am in the UK.

The one thing I would say about wild food (aside form be careful and do your research) is that the nutritional content is so high, it really does have an effect on you - worth a try. Here are the ones I've tried so far (there are of course far more)

Spring leaves and shoots:
    Dandelion (all parts of it, best in april+may, becomes more bitter afterwards), Jack-by-the-hedge (also called Garlic Mustard) Ramson (also called wild garlic), Goosegrass (or Bed-Straw) Nettle, Dead Nettle, Chickweed, Thistle, Blackberry Leaves (mainly for making tea)
    Plantain (not of my faves but edible), Wood sorrel, lemon sorrel (both of these are hard to spot and usually grow as single leaves). Wild parsley (one of the most pleasant to eat raw - has a very thick, sweet, watery stem - delicious)

Others for mid summer:
    Blackberries (coming in season in about two weeks), Wild cherries (the black or red ones, just collected loads today - absolutely delicious), Fern tips (or fiddleheads - the brown tips of the ferns are slightly crunchy and taste like almond, can be fried in coconut oil to give the best salad croutons you'll ever taste). Flowers from the juniper bush:small yellow, taste like coconut and can be added to salads.

I've also eaten a member of the carrot family called sweet cicely, tunrs out I was lucky because this family contains hemlock and fool's parsley both of which are poisionous, and look like sweet cicely, so its best to avoid this family until you know for sure which is which.

The wild cherries I collected today:

Cherries.jpg

Recently discovered the joys of:

Wild boar: This is now available in a food centre not too far form me, I put it in a stew and it is superb, I will definitely be getting more. There's something about it that is better than farm pork - it seems more lean and yet more satisfying to eat. I couldn't stop eating it.

Wild tuna and salmon: Frozen products such a tuna steak and salmon fished from the sea - essentially wild food, and with much better taste and texture than farmed fish. I buy the ones that are certified sustainable.

Fresh mackerel: One of the cheaper fish, but mackerel is believed to be the most nutritious food, pound for pound, in the world. It certainly tastes like it is. I would only rate possibly organ meat as being more nutritious and even then it doesn't have the omega 3 in such high quanitiy, as far as I know. Best just cooked in the oven on the bone. Although quite strong tasting, you can make a stock from the fish head and bones, but better to do this once the fish has already been cooked in the oven.

Sea Trout: I bought a Sea Trout, quite a large fish, from the market, and have been developing my filleting skills. Its quite easy to clean a fish out by removing the head and innards all together in one go. I heard about eating fish liver, so I tried frying the liver up, and managed to eat about half of it - tasted ok but quite a soft texture that I found I could only eat a small amount of it. With large trouts that you don't want to cook all in one go, its best to fillet the fish so you end up with two large fillets. Cutting trout accross the body into steaks doesn't work as well as it does with salmon because the flesh is looser. I made a stock form the head of the fish but I used the head raw, i.e before it was cooked in the oven and the result was a stock that was very strong 'sea-tasting' that I didn't really like. I think fish stock is generally best made from already-cooked head and bones.
    Last edited by Owen; 08-11-2013 at 05:16 AM.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    The wild cherries I collected today:

Cherries.jpg
    They look more like currants not cherries.

From London England UK

Greenbeast is online now Senior Member
    on the left are cherries

Left are red cherries, right are black cherries. The trees were growing next to eachother. The black cherries are particularly rich and have a very deep red pigment that gets everywhere - but very nutritious. In season now. I'm going back there tomorrow as apparently they are now going to be sweeter.

You can also get wild currants which do indeed look similar but are about half the size of these cherries.

Goosegrass and nettles, which often grow together, can be boiled in water to make a kind of tea - I then either drink this or use it in soups and stews to enhance the taste, colour, and the nutritional content of the food. I recently made a stew with the wild boar I bought, and used the nettle+goosegrass water as the base for the stew.

Goosegrass
    goosegrass.jpg

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Bit late in the year but fireweed is edible, you want the baby shoots as it gets bitter as it matures. Use like asparagus
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    We've been collecting wild plums. I made some into plum sauce and some I just pureed and canned. I have Italian plums drying now (prunes) that I collected in an abandoned lot. I've also been gathering blackberries and freezing them.

I just love collecting wild foods. In the fall we gather walnuts and sometimes acorns, though they are a lot more work to process and of course there's our favorite, mushrooms!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

I've just googled fireweed and realised that I drove past acres of it in Wales - when you say use it like asparagus do you mean eat the stem?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast